Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Time to check your slide out motor bolts again

We have owned Newmar motor homes for 22 years and you would have to search for quite a time to find someone more out spoken about how good Newmar motor homes are. Very surprised this afternoon when I went to check the slide out motor bolts on our 18 LA on passengers side and found all the bolts loss and 2 taking a turn and half to tighten. Had problems on our Essex and shared the fix we found that stopped the problem that being blue lock tight. With the new LA the motor assembly is different but the problem is still there. Our model is the 4531 with the big HWH slide and would recommend all Newmar owners check their slide out motor bolts to see if any are loss. I will be tomorrow removing each bolt and putting lock tight on the bolts and replacing them back and some other owners might choice to do so also. On the Essex the 4 bolts had a 9/16 head but the LA now has 1/2 headed bolts. There have been many owners who have had major slide out problems just because the 4 bolts came loss and let the motor jam up and damage the slide out assembly. Do check your slide out motor bolts or have someone else check them for you. If you want to use a torque wrench to check tightness it's 35 ft. pounds. These bolts are accessed in your outside cabinet.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 07:57 PM   #2

Wow, Tom! Your timing is impeccable.

I just posted about an issued I had today with my slide motor mounts. The whole story is over on my thread.

You're so right. CHECK 'EM!

If you need to know how, please take a look at my article from June 2017, "Electric slide out motor mounts: check the bolts!"
Old 02-28-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

I try to check them on my 2015 DS seveeral times a year, at least the Kitchen and FWS which are reasonable easy to reach. It's the bed room slide motor that's really a nuisance to reach. Couldn't reach one of the bolts at all and a couple of the others turned hard enough I was afraid to completely remove it to use Locktite on the threads. So the ones I could reach run out I loosened them somewhat and blue Locktited them.

It's amazing how lax Newmar is with owner problems that have been going on for years yet nothing is done to ease the owner's headaches.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:30 AM   #4

First thing to check, is to see if you have any blue loc-tight. ( I had some, but where did it go?) Then do as Tom mentioned, but don't stop there. The way these roads are today, alot of things come loose, not to mention some drivers out there.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One extra step on the slide out motor problems. On our 2015 DS the kitchen slide motor brackett failed after 2 years and was rebuilt by Newmar. After the Loc-tight bulletin came out, I put blue Loc-tight on all of the bolts and retorqued them. I went one step further and used red fingernail polish to put a vertical line on each bolt head. I now check all motor mount bolts about every couple of months to verify that the line is still vertical. Takes very little time and no tools. Two years later, so far, so good.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Apologies for what may be a dumb question, but is this only on the HWH systems? The Ventana has the electric motors...would I check for the same thing?

Thanks.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Apologies for what may be a dumb question, but is this only on the HWH systems? The Ventana has the electric motors...would I check for the same thing?

Thanks.
I believe this applies to all that have electric slides and does not apply to the FWS if it is hydraulic.

I have checked the electric in about a year ago and will be rechecking this weekend again. Someone please correct me if there is something I should be checking on the HWH FWS.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post

Thanks.
Actually, just the reverse. Does not apply to the HWH hydraulic system, does apply to the electric motor system. Each motor has 4 bolts holding it to a bracket. Those are the bolts we are talking about.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Actually, just the reverse. Does not apply to the HWH hydraulic system, does apply to the electric motor system. Each motor has 4 bolts holding it to a bracket. Those are the bolts we are talking about.
jt
Ahhhh..Gotcha. Sorry for getting that backwards...

Need to check myself.
Thanks
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Slide motorbolts

Bought my 2014 dutchstar 4364 in July of this year. I could see we're the kitchen slide motor and bracket had been previously repaired. Then I read about the bolts loosing and that made sense to what had happened. In august I checked all four motors and sure enough all 16 bolts were loose. I admittedly did not use blue loctite! Well this morning after reading this thread I rechecked bolts and you guessed it all were loose again. Plus coach was a NORTHTRAIL for a bedroom slide roller replacement in 12/5/2018. I built 1100 h.p. Drag race engines and can't believe those bolts loosened so quick. When those slides operate they must be putting a lot of torsional load and actually flexing the bracket and motor! Anyway off to get some loctite!! Thanks group

Carl 2014 dutchstar 4363
2004 American tradition 40w (sold)
Greenbarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #11

If you are having trouble knowing were to look for these slide out motor bolts Mike Griffin post on his problem with his slide out bolts. This is a good post with details on these 4 bolts to hold the slide out motor to the slide out assembly. Still surprised how just a hour or two after I posted what I found on our 18 LA Mike posts his major problem on his DS. "Electric slide out motor mounts:check the bolts!" is the title and can be click on the view by visit his post.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
ARR Yes spring maybe coming people getting out the check lists for the bolt problems.
We have a member SLS that has come up with another way to solve his bolt problem that gives us feed back as to how his studs not bolts are working out.
Here is his thread on his studs for motor and gear housings working out for him.
Which ever way you go, do not over look, for a trouble free summer of travel.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
I believe this applies to all that have electric slides and does not apply to the FWS if it is hydraulic.

I have checked the electric in about a year ago and will be rechecking this weekend again. Someone please correct me if there is something I should be checking on the HWH FWS.
We were told this had been addressed and was no longer a probleem on the newer models. Is that incorrect?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #14

Time to check your slide out motor bolts again

Checked my bolts on my 18 DS 4369. This is production date with the bolts treated with Loctite at the factory. All are loose.

Question- How do you go about checking the bedroom slide?

Thanks Tom for keeping this issue alive.

Tags
slide, slide out