Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 06:12 PM   #1

Tire Covers

Have not seen this topic discussed for some time.

I’m in the hunt for tire covers for a 2019 Dutchstar.

Any recommendations and which popular ones to avoid.

Do you put them on only during long stays?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #2

Perhaps Snap Ring tire savers would serve you well? Check out this video
about these easy on/off tire savers.
fhmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maga shades makes tire covers.

I don't use them personally, but I do use their window covers and those work well.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I’ve got the magneshade tire covers redbaron73 mentions above. Much easier to put on than the more common white covers and simple to store. I use a set of the white pull over ones for winter storage as the Magneshade ones have a metal ring in them that could rust with prolonged exposure to moisture like in wet north eastern winters.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:11 PM   #5

While I can't recommend a specific brand, I would recommend the color be white or a light color. While blocking UV is one purpose, keeping heat down is another. I did some heat gun tests on colors a couple of years ago and in direct July sunlight dark to black colors were 50 to 60 degrees higher than light colors and were reaching over 180 degrees F on the surface. Most of that heat transfers through.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:43 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use the white Camco tire covers. Just make sure you buy the correct size. The Magna Shade covers look nice but are open in the center.

I only want covers on while in storage and I want them to cover the tires and keep the rims clean and out of the weather.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16375086190...2ea947ba5c90b2
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:01 PM   #7

I have the MagneShade tire covers. They’re black, easy to install and remove. I like the fact that the center is open and the wheel remains visible. It doesn’t look like there is a cover on the tire.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:05 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhmac View Post
Perhaps Snap Ring tire savers would serve you well? Check out this video
about these easy on/off tire savers.
I have had these for 5 years and they work great. Easy to put on and they do not blow off in the wind. Best ones I have owned in my 15+ years of RVing.
richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:25 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought some cheapies off Amazon and they work exactly like the snap ring covers. They're stretchy on top and loose on the bottom. They came with strings to tie the bottom together, but I've never used them. I just sort of tuck the bottom around the sides and that's where they are when I go to take them off again. I was skeptical that they would blow off in the wind, but never have had a problem with them. We cover the tires any time our rig is going to sit for awhile. We don't use them while camping.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:34 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
While I can't recommend a specific brand, I would recommend the color be white or a light color. While blocking UV is one purpose, keeping heat down is another. I did some heat gun tests on colors a couple of years ago and in direct July sunlight dark to black colors were 50 to 60 degrees higher than light colors and were reaching over 180 degrees F on the surface. Most of that heat transfers through.

I've never heard that heat from sunlight breaks down tires? Direct sunlight, for sure, but just being warm? Seems like the manufacturers would make them a different color if that were the case. I've heard of heat from the road breaking down tires, but I don't think the covers could convey that much heat, even if they were black. Vinyl (if your covers are made from vinyl) is a terrible heat conductor. Don't they make insulation out of vinyl?
Old 05-19-2022, 11:25 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
I have the MagneShade tire covers. They’re black, easy to install and remove. I like the fact that the center is open and the wheel remains visible. It doesn’t look like there is a cover on the tire.
So, when in storage you keep the open center covers on so animals can nest and the dirt and debris gets on the rims?? Makes absolutely no sense! I wouldn't want expensive covers on mine when it's sitting parked and unused in storage.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
So, when in storage you keep the open center covers on so animals can nest and the dirt and debris gets on the rims?? Makes absolutely no sense! I wouldn't want expensive covers on mine when it's sitting parked and unused in storage.
I don't use tire covers, but your comment about animals making nests reminds me of a problem that I have observed.

I spend 2-3 months parked in the same spot in Montana. We have ground squirrels, that are a nuisance. No matter what methods are used, these pests remain abundant and invasive.

I have observed these guys crawl up into the engine bay from under the coach.

I would like to come up with a diaper of some kind to prevent these animals. Some of the ideas for cheap tire covers may work well for this.

The 2 areas of the coach exposed underneath are the engine bay, and the generator bay.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I store it inside a building on my property without tire covers. It’s pretty clean in there and not exposed to the elements. I’d imagine that the covers would remain unharmed if I took a few minutes to put them on, inside the building, but that makes no sense at all to me.

I can also imagine a mouse, or some other determined critter, fighting its way into the cozy confines of any tire cover, or perhaps just chewing its way in. You may never know it’s in there until you remove the cover. Where as I would see the critter as soon as it took out a building permit. Or it may decide not to build there at all since there is no privacy.

Either way, it’s my choice.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Those poor little critters need a nice place to nest!!
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, tire