Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 04:08 PM   #1

Tire pressure

I use a TPMS on my wheels. When it his hot out, the tires seem to get to a high pressure pretty fast. What would be the correct high end range should I adjust the monitor valves so I don’t continue to get a beeping on the tires. My fronts are filled cold to 125psi and my rear tires I have at 85psi.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #2

Best to weigh each tire or axle at the least and consult the tire manufacturer charts and reference the chassis manuf suggestions and choose your cold pressure based on the load and tire requirements while heeding the chassis folks as well!
Old 06-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #3

I think your cold pressures are good. Don't be too concerned about the hot pressures if they are uniform. For example inner duals are pretty equal, outer duals, steers etc... The trouble arises when one tire alone gets much hotter than its counterpart. Usually indicate lost pressure.
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:59 AM   #4

An older article but perhaps will shed some light on your question. If you have the axle weights correct ( individual tire weights would be better), have the COLD tire pressures set Properly, don’t race down the hi-way at excessive speed, you should be fine. The link shows a 10-60 degree can be expected.

https://community.fmca.com/topic/692...ome-tires-get/

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:17 AM   #5

If the cold pressures are right, observe the temperature rise on a not day, and just set the warnings higher than that. How much higher? As long as they stay uniform on each axle, higher enough to keep the alarm from going off. It might take a few tries.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know your rig, but 125 on the front seems high to me. What does the sticker beside the driver's seat say for tire pressure?

Yes tire pressure raises with temp, and that's OK. As long as one tire is not consistently getting MUCH hotter than all the others you're fine. If the alarm on the TPMS is going off it's most likely because the alarm threshold is set too low, rather than the tire is getting too hot. I believe the default high temp alarm on mine was 155 degrees, I left it where it was.

This is from a quick Google search that I just did, to see if I was right in thinking it was 155 "In areas of high ambient heat, like Arizona or Florida, the high-pressure alarm should be set to 25% above your normal operating pressure to avoid unnecessary alerts. For your temperature setting, the default of 158° is safe for all tires. Tires typically fail between 170 –200° F."
Old 06-25-2021, 06:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I don't know your rig, but 125 on the front seems high to me. What does the sticker beside the driver's seat say for tire pressure?F."
.....info from other brands does not apply. The factory tire pressure for the front tire of a DutchStar running 365/70R22.5 is 125 psi.....that’s what the placard says

I just weighed my 21 DutchStar front axle and based on the front weight, 125 psi is required to carry the weight with about 15% margin
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #8

I met an old geezer way back in the 70s out in the AZ scrub land at a roadside dive. He admired my vehicle and said let me tell you a secret, out here in sun country, drive slow and steady and mind the air in your tires keep it right and you won't have a problem. Driving fast in the desert is dumb idea because the tires get too hot and blow.

Managing tire pressure is a function of make-model/load/size/ operating conditions/and yep environmental temps to some degree as well when speaking of extreme conditions.

Get and keep an IR temp thermometer (touchless- the new in term these daze) handy in your rig. Check the temps of the tires, brakes and the bearngs too indirectly via the hub! Use it to monitor the radiator as well as the AC etc etc. Cheap little instrument and totally useful, helps bigly while cooking food or components on your rig! When my kid was in middle school that was his job when we got to the CG he would go around and take the temp of stuff and fill in the chart. As he got older I would let he do the same while we were on the road and stopped for fuel etc. We caught and serviced/replaced some assemblies and items before they failed in that manner.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #9

Thank you all. Very helpful. I wasn’t concerned about weight since I keep it light but wanted feedback on the monitor threshold and how high would be the right setting so alarms don’t continue to sound (annoying!)
Old 06-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Any rig that has to run at 125 cold pressure is under-tired, IMHO. More likely, you are following the chart inside your coach which ststes MAX pressures. Get that thing weighed and dump some of the air in those tires. At 125, you're running on BRICKS!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My '09 CC Magna says to run 125 psi on it's 365/70 front tires. Front axle is rated for 20,000#'s but only carrying 18,000. I've tried less as per the charts but the handling wasn't as good. My owners manual warns against using anything but the pressures on the weight sticker and having tried less I concur.
I previously owned two Dutch Stars. On the 2002 Newmar had to replace the front axle with a heavier unit as it was overweight when it left the factory.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
The front of a Prevost is about 58,000#. I was told by a tire dealer who works on Liberty coaches all the time who says all they use is 105#. My Essex was rated at 52,000 and I ran 108-110. Worked well for me. (Same tires, btw…)
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #13

Dave-

What are you running on he back axels. I just picked up my 2021 DSDP 4369 and have to get it weighed. My TPMS flashed a warning at 100 PSI inside rear tire. Guess I need to get the Valoer calibrated also.
Phil_Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
.....info from other brands does not apply. The factory tire pressure for the front tire of a DutchStar running 365/70R22.5 is 125 psi.....that’s what the placard says

I just weighed my 21 DutchStar front axle and based on the front weight, 125 psi is required to carry the weight with about 15% margin
What is the weight on the front axle of your DS Dave?

BB
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure