RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Tire Pressure Issue

Driving across I82 in South East Washington State when the tire monitor system alarm went off; low pressure in the passenger side rear inner tire. We were very close to our overnight destination, Walla Walla (such a lovely name for a very nice town, but I digress) so we continued slowly on to Blue Valley RV Park (highly rated, very close to downtown, I digress again).
Pressure in that particular tire was about 15 psi below what it should have been and it would not come back up to the right pressure.
This occurred yesterday, Sunday, no tire service center open and in any case the nearest truck tire service center was about an hours drive away. This morning, Columbus Day when, in this town a lot of businesses are closed, I called the Les Schwab Tire Center in Walla Walla thinking perhaps they might be able to handle this truck based tire issue. They could, and did. Within an hour of getting there they had the wheels off and discovered that the tire valve extension tube that pokes through the outer rim had for whatever reason come lose thus allowing air to escape through the valve, and the good news was no punctures or damage to the actual tire.
The whole process took about an hour and the charge was - zero! No charge. “Have a safe journey”.
Recommended - a tire monitoring system and the Les Schwab Tire Center on Issac Ave in Walla Walla, WA.

mwd1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Les Schwab is our go-to tire shop. They are common in the western states and are known for fixing flat tires for free. Good folks. Glad you got your tire issue resolved.

TJ

Old 10-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

When you can, think about changing your valve "extensions" for all metal "extended valve stems". Since they completely replace your existing valve stems there's nothing to come loose. Mounting them to your rims in place of your existing valve stems entails removing the wheels from your rig and breaking the bead in order to gain access. The cheapest time to do this is when buying new tires but I've seen postings where some have had it done for $25 - $50/tire not including the cost of the stems.

Here's an example from Borg, one of the most recommended brands:

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...-stems-dl1fcfr
Old 10-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #4

Wow-- that was great of Les to do that no charge, on a holiday no less..... hope the tech got a good tip !
Old 10-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #5

Tire Pressure Issue

Thanks - great idea to change out the rubber extensions for the metal ones. I’ll keep that in mind for when the wheels need to come off again.
mwd1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Wow-- that was great of Les to do that no charge, on a holiday no less..... hope the tech got a good tip !
I don't think they are allowed to accept tips. The last time I tried, it was refused.

So, I went over to the local donut shop, bought two-dozen and brought them back to the tire shop. The manager was a little flabbergasted, but agree to put them in the employee break area. Problem solved.

TJ
Old 11-01-2019, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd1508 View Post
The whole process took about an hour and the charge was - zero! No charge. “Have a safe journey”.
Recommended - a tire monitoring system and the Les Schwab Tire Center on Issac Ave in Walla Walla, WA.
That is amazing we had a similar leak and it cost the shop minimum to have them tighten the valve stem and test it solved the leak, just under $50. Had a valve stem go bad at home & the mobile tire service charge about $80 to come out and replace it. I called our Good Sam Roadside Emergency Service to have them come out and just loosen the lug nuts (DH broke a heavy duty socket trying to break them loose). He was going to wrestle the tire and take it in for the new stem, but GS declined, saying it wasn't a roadside emergency. They'd send a mobile tire person at my expense. I declined their "help".

Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure