RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

Tire pressure monitoring saved the trip from ...

Hi All,
What I trip we just returned from. I just had Sams Club replace all four tires on my 2016 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4. So far so good.

We left South FL around 7:00 am, 7:15 am my TST tire pressure monitoring starts blaring. My toed is loosing pressure. I disconnect and return to Sams Club with 26 psi in my tire. Turns out I had a faulty valve stem, or so I thought.

Hook the toed back up and off we go around 9:45. I was certain we just had our glitch for the trip, boy was I wrong.

Around 2 hrs later and almost to Tampa, same thing, TST start blaring as another toed tire is rapidly loosing air. But this time I am on 75 heading north watching my tire pressure continue to fall. I take the next exit and pull onto a side road, pressure is less than 16 psi. As luck would have it, a Goodyear tire truck just passed me and said he has a flat to fix and would return in 45 min. So we wait and I call and ask for the tire manager at the Sams Club that installed my Michelin tires to find out what is going on.

He told me that Sams does not replace valve stems unless they are damaged. I was floored. To break the bead the employee uses a machine that separates the tire from the rim, (that is in a controlled setting like a shop) and in all likely hood, that process usually damages the valve stem. On the side of the road however, they separate the tire from the rim with a large sledge hammer that looks like a large ax. Repeatedly smacking the tire until it breaks free from the rim. And yes my rim was nicked but he replaced the valve stem and removed my internal tire pressure sensor as he does not carry them. Total cost, $120.

Another 2 hr delay and we are on the road again. Now it gets interesting, I make it to Valdosta GA and once again TST is blaring with yet another toed tire failing. We called road side and he shows up 3 hrs later. This time I had them replace both stems on the remaining two tires. Unfortunately the guy used a grinder to cut the internal tire pressure sensor off and hit my tire twice along with the rim where the sensor is attached with the grinder. Total cost $360

Now 14 hrs into our trip we are 6 hrs from home. We make it to our destination in Whitter NC and another tire failure on the toed. I pull into a Ram dealer in Sylvia NC and they replace all 4 sensors and show me the damaged rim that now needs replaced which they do not have in stock. Total cost for 4 sensors and 4 new valve stems over $500.00

Moral of the story, request new valve stems with tire replacements and have a tire pressure monitoring system for both the RV and toed as you never know when you will need it. A big shot out to TST Truck System Technology as without it, I may have destroyed my toed as who know how long I would have driven with a flat or flats.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Wowza, that is one horror story. We pull a 2015 Jeep, but I also have a Ram 2500 4x4 and thought about setting it to flat tow when we want to bring ATV or golf cart.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3113.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	223814

lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Wow! That was a trip to be remembered!

Way back "in the day," I worked in a tire shop while going to college. We never broke open a bead that we didn't automatically replace the valvestem. My boss would have fired me on the spot if he'd have caught me not replacing one.

To this day, when I go to a tire shop, I tell them "I expect the valvestems to be replaced." And, whenever possible, I make a pest of myself by watching the work being done.

TJ
Old 10-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #4

That's very interesting. Every time I've purchased tires they replace the stems and use a TPMS seal kit when applicable.

Hopefully you can get Sam's to reimburse you.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #5

And there's the difference between 'Tire Shop' and Sams Discount Store

Those TPMs saved your bacon for sure!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Wowza, that is one horror story. We pull a 2015 Jeep, but I also have a Ram 2500 4x4 and thought about setting it to flat tow when we want to bring ATV or golf cart.Attachment 223814
I do enjoy having my truck with me and it can haul my Harley as well.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
And there's the difference between 'Tire Shop' and Sams Discount Store

Those TPMs saved your bacon for sure!
True! But tires valve stems are cheep and never thought they would use the original ones
Old 10-26-2018, 04:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
That's very interesting. Every time I've purchased tires they replace the stems and use a TPMS seal kit when applicable.

Hopefully you can get Sam's to reimburse you.
I will be going there today to talk to the manager
Old 10-26-2018, 04:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Wow! That was a trip to be remembered!

Way back "in the day," I worked in a tire shop while going to college. We never broke open a bead that we didn't automatically replace the valvestem. My boss would have fired me on the spot if he'd have caught me not replacing one.

To this day, when I go to a tire shop, I tell them "I expect the valvestems to be replaced." And, whenever possible, I make a pest of myself by watching the work being done.

TJ
I have had many tires replaced over the years and the stems were always replaced. I really did not think I would have to request that.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, surprising they did not install new valve stems. I carry a tire plug kit, extra valve stems, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:16 AM   #11

I had tires changed on my last toad and they didn't change the valve stems because they weren't standard cheap stems.

The stems were the bolt in type that had the sensors on them, inside the tire.

I didn't ask, but getting new sensors and then programming them probably would have added over $100 to the cost of 4 tires and that was Wal-Mart prices.

At a later date, I had picked up a nail and during the repair the guy broke the internal sensor. I had to call around to find a place that had sensors, get one installed, and have it programmed to the car. It was a universal sensor that didn't match to original.

My point here, is that the days of just poping in new valves is over. Every manufacture uses their own TPMS valves and sensors. You want new ones every time, call for avalability and expect to pay extra.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:02 AM   #12

If you just ditch the internal TPMS sensors can you then use regular valve stems?
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OH boy were you ever put thru the wringer.

The law requires Vehicles manufacturers today to have tpms sensors. Why the tire guys don't have the replacement valve stems...I'll never know...oh wait...I do know. They want to sell you new tpms sensors. We just changed the sensors in my sons truck made in 2005. They do make replacement stems...they just bolt to the sensor body with a hex screw. We changed then and programmed them ourselves. We have a programmer and to break the bead...we used a cheap plastic vacuum pump from harbor freight. I got the idea from a company in the UK that sells vacuum pump bead breakers.

Sledge hammer...love the finess.

https://www.ebay.com/i/252753945097?...82ffa9fffd89bd

$980...did I add that up correctly?

Did they let you keep your old sensors? (2016?...not old)
Old 10-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #14

I had a similar situation this summer. We had left home and were traveling north on I 75 and after about 50 miles I noticed one of the toad tires loosing air. In 5 miles it lost 8 psi so I left at the next exit. Put on the spare and continued the trip--- eventually had the tire looked at and the valve was bad.

Tags
monitor, tire pressure