Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #1

Tire rotation on a 2016 Dutch Star 4369

I am getting some rivering on my front passenger tire on the outside edge. Its not too bad at this point but my question is, Can you rotate the tag axel tires to the front without dismounting the tire from the rim. The rims look the same to me but I am no expert. Also who would do this type of tire rotation, Freightliner?
These tires have about 22000 miles on them.

Thanks all!
NoDents4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is not necessary to rotate tires on your coach unless (as you have experienced) you have uneven wear. Use caution and make sure that both tires on one side of a dual are at the same diameter at or very close in diameter so both share the load equally. They should match within 3/4" +/-

If you choose to rotate, choose the rear side that has the better tires (usually left rear, as they are curbed less) and bring them to the front. Then both fronts to that left side.

Breaking the tire off the wheel is only important on a very makes of tire. These will have an arrow embossed on the showing which direction they must travel.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If yours has the steerable tag with the tag rim facing outward like the front and the tire sizes are the same, go ahead. I did the same thing on my 2014. Unfortunately, my tag was not the steerable model and the rim was reversed. I had to remove the tires and remount them.

I would take the coach to a store that sells truck tires and let them do the swap. You would probably wait all day and pay a fortune at a Freightliner dealer. Typically, you can help reduce "rivering" by adding 5 psi to the pressure you're using on the front tires.

Lastly, you should probably rebalance the new fronts. This would be a good opportunity to add the Centramatic wheel balancers to the front. The best price is from Florida Shores Truck Center and they drop ship.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I concur with Don. Good advice.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #5

If you are showing tire wear at 22000 miles you need an alignment more than a rotation, and maybe check your tire pressures
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
If you are showing tire wear at 22000 miles you need an alignment more than a rotation, and maybe check your tire pressures
On these DP's, if it's truly "rivering", an alignment will have no impact. Once rivering starts, you can't correct it, but it does help to move it to the rear.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:38 AM   #7

I had the same problem on my front pass. side tire. Ted Weins Tire in Vegas swapped the tag and front tires for me last year. I'm getting no rivering on the front tire so far.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi NoDents4U,
The alignment and addition of Centramatics will help or eliminate the problem. The alignment should be done by the chassis manufacturer. Consider rotating the tire so you can see the effect of the Centramatics and alignment.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #9

I have the same thing on my 2017. Ventanna LE took it to Freightliner and they did an alignment. Did not suggest rotating at this time. They said by the time I paid for rotating, alignment etc. I would be well on my way to the price of a new tire.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If yours has the steerable tag with the tag rim facing outward like the front and the tire sizes are the same, go ahead. I did the same thing on my 2014. Unfortunately, my tag was not the steerable model and the rim was reversed. I had to remove the tires and remount them.

I would take the coach to a store that sells truck tires and let them do the swap. You would probably wait all day and pay a fortune at a Freightliner dealer. Typically, you can help reduce "rivering" by adding 5 psi to the pressure you're using on the front tires.

Lastly, you should probably rebalance the new fronts. This would be a good opportunity to add the Centramatic wheel balancers to the front. The best price is from Florida Shores Truck Center and they drop ship.
I keep the tires on the front at 120-125 on pressure. I am hesitant to add more. When I weighed the coach I had about 17000# (16940 to be exact) so I keep them above 120#.I am not familiar with Centramatics wheel balancers but I will check them out.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input. This site is a lifesaver!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #12

Be careful how much pressure you use. The rims on my 01 Dutch Star are stamped 120 psi max pressure!
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mark.....Centramatics are a metal ring with ball bearings inside. They mount behind the wheel. They balance in the same method as balancing beads. Since they mount to the hub, they balance the tire, rim, and hub, basically the front assembly. They do this every time you drive the coach, even if it gets mud in the tires or the tires where funny and the balance changes. They're about $185 a pair. They can be taken off and moved to another coach if you sell yours. Once installed, you'll always have perfect front end balance. I have them on all three axles. on the this coach and my previous two.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Mark.....Centramatics are a metal ring with ball bearings inside. They mount behind the wheel. They balance in the same method as balancing beads. Since they mount to the hub, they balance the tire, rim, and hub, basically the front assembly. They do this every time you drive the coach, even if it gets mud in the tires or the tires where funny and the balance changes. They're about $185 a pair. They can be taken off and moved to another coach if you sell yours. Once installed, you'll always have perfect front end balance. I have them on all three axles. on the this coach and my previous two.
Hi Don, Do you remember the model#s for the Centramatics on your coach? I have the 2019 4018 as well. Thx, Jared
DutchStar JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star