Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Tires,punctures and how to fix

What is the general view on how to venture out on a trip, long or short, regarding "what to do when you get a flat tire"
1) Join a repair club
2) Take a spare tire
3) Take a spare wheel
4) have a spare wheel, jack, wrenches, air, lift etc to change yourself
Or any combination of the 4 choices.
I have planned to take an little worn old tire and have air for top up, plus that nasty special interlock wrench for one wheel nut together with 2 insurance rescue resources. Is that the norm?
Look forward to some good advice, thank you.
johnmac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For me and my big DP...I'm using road side insurance to do all that. No way am I gonna tackle that kind of issue on the road. Even if it went flat in my back yard (which I no longer have. ) I would probably rely on professional sources to do the work. Heck...I don't have a torque wrench or jack big enough to do that part and don't want to carry them around anyway.

I suppose light TTs, smaller 5th wheels and maybe some class C and B owners might be more comfortable in some cases but I will let them chip in on that.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #3

Depends on a number of things. Are you talking light pickup, small trailer, Class C, Class A ? For a lighter setup, if you are comfortable with jacking and manhandling a spare you could do it yourself. Make sure you have a good quality jack - not the little ones the manufacturers give you. For larger rigs, call a tire service or repair club.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmac53 View Post
What is the general view on how to venture out on a trip, long or short, regarding "what to do when you get a flat tire"
1) Join a repair club
2) Take a spare tire
3) Take a spare wheel
4) have a spare wheel, jack, wrenches, air, lift etc to change yourself
Or any combination of the 4 choices.
I have planned to take an little worn old tire and have air for top up, plus that nasty special interlock wrench for one wheel nut together with 2 insurance rescue resources. Is that the norm?
Look forward to some good advice, thank you.
I carry an unmounted spare tire and a cell phone to call CoachNet.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi johnmac53,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. Thanks for posting in the Newmar Owners Forum. I have all that you mentioned.
1. Roadside assistance is the first choice.
2. Depending on their answer and where the coach is located I'd consider changing the tire myself. I have changed 5 out of six tires on my coach. I have the compressor, air wrench, cheater bars, torque wrench and leverage bars.
3. I carry a fully mounted spare tire in the basement of the coach.

We were at a Klub rally and GS road service said they could not come out until the following morning. So I helped a Klub member change his tire. If one is in a safe and level location, has the time, the tools, mounted tire and a knowledge of leveraging weight, the job is a bit sweaty and dirty, but it is not rocket science.

If needed, I have a kit that allows me to plug the puncture, This would be a last resort to allow one to get to a truck tire store and have the puncture properly repaired.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #6

When I had a gas Newmar that carried a spare,I ended up changing it at 2:00 in the morning on a desolate road.Not a place I wanted to stay. Except for being in the weeds on the side of the road, and takeing my breath to get it from underneath coach it wasn't that bad.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #7

I vote for road side assistance and spare, especially if the tires are an odd size. I have 295/80R22.5 and when I was shopping for new tires I found out most tire stores that service big trucks are not familiar with that size. If you didn't have a spare I suspect you would have a hard time finding the correct size tire in a timely manner, especially if you have a problem on the weekend.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
KJD

Looking around for some wood to knock on........ I have been RV'ing since the 70's and I can count on one hand the number of times I have had a tire related problem out on the road itself. I do have Road Side Coverage though. I did have to call them one time when my MotorHome had a flat in the driveway. One of the valve stem extenters when bad and lost all the air out of the inside duel tire once....
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #9

tires and flats

Thank you all for your replies.
I guess I will keep one tire and a valve or two. I have an air pressure connection and a hose plus insurance through carrier and Sam. Having made all those decisions I hope never to use any!!!!
johnmac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry a spare tire, no wheel. If I have a blowout I will call AAA rv for the change. My lug nuts must be torqued to 500 ft. pounds
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires