Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

To go solar or not?

Hello all. We are new to Newmar and have a 2017 Mountain Aire on order. Not everything is finalized and we are seeking advice on whether to go with the factory installed Global 4 (100 w each) solar panels or to go with an aftermarket solution. It's an expensive option either way.
Thanks in advance for advice and opinions.
Lee and Pamela
PS: Delivery in late April from Independence RV.
PamLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you're working with Independence...I take it you're spending time in Florida.

As you know...there are limitation to Solar. They normally will Not Run certain high draw items. Amongst them...The Induction Cooktop, the Air Conditioners, the Washer/Dryer, and either ELECTRIC hot water element on the Oasis system. That being said...and the fact that A/C use is a normal occurrence most every month in Florida...we have not elected to install Solar.

When I finally retire...we will have the freedom to head further away to places where the weather is milder and perhaps go OFF GRID for some true boondocking.

If you already have this freedom...then Solar makes sense. IF, like me, it's a future likelihood... Then you can opt. to PREP for it.

Newmar offered a SOLAR prep for our Ventana. I know very little of what was installed...but I know there is at least one 6 guage wire run from the roof down to the basement storage.

I really wish that I had looked into the whole thing a little more.

For example...I would have made sure that their where 3 conductors run...as the installation of the Magnum PT-100 uses a floating ground for their installations...so you need an equipment ground, a Photo Voltaic Positive and Negative run down to the controller. It also needs the ME-ARC remote...as opposed to the ME-RC50 which is what Newmar Installed... And it also needs the ME-BMK battery monitor added...but that's an easy fix.

If you can opt for these things...then Hooking up a PT-100 MPPT charge controller would be easy...and it's all controlled from the ME-ARC remote along with your Auto Gen Start, Battery Monitoring, and Inverter/Converter controls...

That's just the setup that interested me...I've seen a lot of people opting for different brands for their Charge Controllers and Battery Monitors as well...so you may not want to go with the same items that I mentioned.

Anyway...I would love, love, love, to have Solar on my coach...but truthfully, it's just wouldn't be useful to me until I can cut myself free from needing Air conditioning.

I'm looking forward to other's points of view...as I'm trying to educate myself on the subject as well...

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 01-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think with the battery bank you're looking at charging...and the residential fridge, etc.. you'll need close to 1000W to keep all those things charge up without assist from the generator. I think in reality it's a good thing to balance the capability of the Solar Charger to the quantity of Batteries. You can go with less...but 400 watts will mean either conserving a lot on things like running appliances or having to bump up the battery bank each day with a generator session to help things along.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #4

I too have solar and love it. You stated that the factory install was 4 100watt panels. Which is not enough watts. Most have at least 600 watts and I have 900watts. A friend has 1700watts, which is probably overkill. I don't tilt my panels I found it better to buy extra then to get on the roof during wind to put them down. If I were in your place I would opt for the correct size wires put in place to go from the roof to the bay where you plan to put your solar charge controller, which should be as close as possible to your batteries but not in the same compartment. Or a conduit for the wires. Many pre-wired rigs are done so with undersized wire. Here are some links:RV Electrical

I have had (Home) do the install on the rig I have now and my previous rig, and have been happy with both.

Good Luck!!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It depends. What usage? Battery maintainance while in storage? Lots of boondocking or dry camping and want to reduce or nearly eliminate generate usage? We dry camp quite a bit and have 1500w solar on the roof.

I would not go with factory 400w. Rather design my own to get optimally for my needs.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #6

I agree with all the comments. If you are going to boondock outside air conditioning areas then it would be nice. If you don't plan to boondock then it's probably a waste of money.

If you decide to do it I would also agree that 400 watts won't do anything for you other than keep the batteries charged for your lights in the evening and maybe occasional tv viewing. My wife really likes to fire up her curling iron and blow dryer in the morning as well as the coffee maker....needless to say we're installing close to 1000 watts.

If you have the option, have the factory install a "solar prep package". That's what we did and had them upgrade the wiring to 4 gauge from the roof to the battery compartment. That way we don't have to drill and fish wires later....it's all there and ready to connect. We'll purchase our solar package from AM Solar in Springfield, Oregon this spring.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #7

Thanks all for the valuable information regarding solar. We will be full time, but not sure as to how much we will be off the grid. Hopefully a good deal. I agree that 400 watts total is likely not enough for our needs. So, we are opting to have the coach pre-wired for solar with #4 and will install custom system at a later date.
Again, thanks forum!
PamLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Common problems with factory solar prep wiring:

Wire run to inside cabinet, then to batteries. Expecting controller to be mounted in the cabinet. This is OK for small systems, although still making a longer than best wire run to the batteries. Best for wires to run near batteries, where the controller resides, and short heavy gauge wire from controller to batteries.

Too small a wire from the roof or only one pair of wires from the roof. Depending on system design, especially for larger systems, a pair of wires should come from the roof for each string of multiple panels.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #9

Leland and Pam, the price of the Newmar solar as a value proposition is questionable. If you want solar that money can buy much more from someone like Marvin Braun (Precision RV - Specializing in RV Solar Power Systems and Repair) or from the team at AMSolar.

Also the results with flexible panels have been mixed in the real world. The folks above and Lou (lewster on the sister to IRV Airstream forum - Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community) would steer you away from flex panels due to cupping (catching water and dirt on top of the cells) and less output for the size.

I did full solar setups on my two Airstreams. Last was a 30' Classic, 740w of panels, 400ah of lithium batteries and a Magnum Hybrid 3000w inverter/charger. Electrical loads were less than an electric MA. But was able to run even one 15K air conditioner from the batteries for a couple of hours if needed.

I do a lot of boondocking here in the western part of the US and for a travel trailer with no generator it worked fine, expensive but fine. For my planned DSDP I'm going to hold off until I see how the installed 8 AGM batteries and the generator work out. Easy to add later.

I am going to do the solar pre-wire and doing a special for another pull of the 6 awg cable. I did ask about larger cable but was told that couldn't be done.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #10

How many watts will the #6 wire carry using 30-35 volt panels in parallel?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamLee View Post
Thanks all for the valuable information regarding solar. We will be full time, but not sure as to how much we will be off the grid. Hopefully a good deal. I agree that 400 watts total is likely not enough for our needs. So, we are opting to have the coach pre-wired for solar with #4 and will install custom system at a later date.
Again, thanks forum!
I chose #4 stranded, I believe mine was welding cable.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #12

Canuck, using this as the source (Wire Sizing Charts - Affordable Solar) #6, depending on temperature can handle 65-75 amps. Using W=V*A that would translate to 2275-2625W at 35 volts. Same site also shows a 2% loss chart. For #6 at 30amps max distance from your rooftop combiner box would be just over 27 feet.

#4 wire would handle 85-95 amps. Many manufacturer solar systems/pre wires use #10 which 35-45 amps. Really cuts down on the 2% rule distance when running 12V panels.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:21 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here are couple of things to consider.

Do you plan on doing a lot of boon docking? If not, then RV Park 50 amp service is adequate. These generators are designed to run 1000s of hours and are reliable. You can purchase a lot of diesel for the $ you'll spend on solar for use when you need it.

The panels must be kept clean for optimum efficiency. That means climbing on the roof. Also, all those panels make it more difficult to walk around on your roof to wash it, etc.

As others have said, 400 watts is not much and will help, but depending on usage, you'll still need a generator.

We just spent 10 days at Quartzsite in the desert with only our generator and it worked great.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #14

Is that 100 watts at 12 volts? That is only 8 amps each, for a total of about 33 amps. If you are boondocking, you probably need at least twice that much. My system provides about 80 amps to the 6 batteries, but I still run the generator a few hours every day. The panels keep the batteries at 100% all day, but at this time of year (February), the sun goes away pretty early.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar