Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 05:54 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
The only time my inverter gets turned off is when the coach goes in for service. I also turn off the salesman switch. The fridge is empty then. This happens usually once a year when the coach goes to Freightliner for annual maintenance.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I only turn my inverter on when I need it, but I do not have a residential refrigerator. Inverters are not the most efficient animals on the planet, takes about 6 amp DC to make 1 amp AC, when on they suck up power from whatever the source is just waiting to start making AC when needed which creates heat, heat and electronics are not good bed fellows. So mine stays off most of the time. I do not need all my electronics powered up when traveling down the road, not using them for anything
I will run some experiments when we take delivery of our Dutch Star to see whether I will leave the inverter on when traveling, or parked with shore power just in case power is lost. I would hope that if power is lost, or when traveling that the refrigerator/freezer would stay cold for quite some time if power is lost as long as you are not opening and closing the doors often. I know my household refrigerator/freezer does.
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Spikester".....your statement of how the inverter works and how you intend to use it, is a little off base. When boondocking and while driving, your inverter will convert DC to AC. In both cases, you'll need the inverter to operate your residential refer and other electronics inside the coach.

Your Magnum inverter has what is called a "Pass Thru" component. When parked at a campground and connected to shore power, your inverter "passes" the power through the unit and DOES NOT invert power. Leaving it on or turning it off has no affect on the inverter when connected to shore power.

Unless you're winterizing the coach and storing it, there is no reason to turn the inverter off, its not "eating" power when there is shore power. It also provides for a smooth transition if there is a power failure.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Just out of curiosity, most of the posts refer to the Inverter Settings as “On” or “Off”... I use the “Standby” setting. When Line voltage is lost the Inverter turns “On”.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Chasfarner
Inverter vs batteries Q.

If you have 6v batteries and charge them on 12v; does it ruin your batteries?
What do you set the battery charger on, to charge
4 (6v), batteries?
Chasfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:27 PM   #20

[QUOTE=Spikester;5025961 Inverters are not the most efficient animals on the planet, takes about 6 amp DC to make 1 amp AC, .[/QUOTE]

Actually inverters use 10 times the amps @12 volts to create 120 volts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasfarner View Post
If you have 6v batteries and charge them on 12v; does it ruin your batteries?
What do you set the battery charger on, to charge
4 (6v), batteries?
Your 4, 6 volt batteries are wired as 2, 12 volt batteries and are charged as 12 volt batteries.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Leave mine on all the time. Unless doing a battery change.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #23

I believe there is a difference between DP and gas Newmars RVs. Gas coaches use Xantrex inverters that don't charge the batteries when connected to AC (separate charger). They are not as integrated to the AC system as the Magnum chargers. In my Baystar I have 2 Xantrex inverters, 1 to power the residential refrigerator and another to power TVs and a couple of plugs. I leave them off in not using them.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:10 AM   #24

Question for those of you who never turn your inverters off. Assuming your inverter is wired directly to the breaker box, how do you keep it from trying to run the air conditioners when you've left for town and the shore power goes out?
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:51 AM   #25

Factory installed inverters are typically not wired before or directly to the main breaker box.
They are fed from a breaker in the box and then to a sub panel or sub section of the main breaker panel.

That way high draw items like A/C's, water heaters, gas / electric fridges, electric fireplaces and heaters, ...... are not powered by them.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:57 AM   #26

I have never ? Or seldom heard of inverters being wired to run the air conditioning units.
Thats sudden death in most most situations.

I never turn mine off unless its in for service.

Pictured is a 4000 wat on my boat built 19 years ago.
Its only been off when new batteries are installed. ON 24/7 for 19 years Residential Refrigerator.

Both Inverters have chargers built in that maintain the coach and inverter batteries.
On float most of the time.

Both are wired for a few outlets. Kitchen and bath usually?
Fans
TV's
Refrigerator, rv or residential fridge.
And microwave.
Thats it.

The air conditioning and the balance of AC 120 outlets, additional refrigerators, AC Air compressor are shore power or generator powered only.

So basically, mine are on 95 percent all the time in the RV's.

Boat On - 100 percent

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_114614.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	266205
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:37 AM   #27

I spoke to Magnum Support about this. They basically said to leave it on.

"When connected to shore power, it will continually maintain your batteries off the charger so there is no need to turn anything off. If you push the inverter on/off button and the INV green LED turns off that means if your coach loses shore power it won’t transfer and continue inverting off the batteries. If the INV green LED is lit and the charge light is active that means that the inverter is ready to switch to inverting off the batteries if shore is lost."

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
I have never ? Or seldom heard of inverters being wired to run the air conditioning units.
Thats sudden death in most most situations.

I never turn mine off unless its in for service.

Pictured is a 4000 wat on my boat built 19 years ago.
Its only been off when new batteries are installed. ON 24/7 for 19 years Residential Refrigerator.

Both Inverters have chargers built in that maintain the coach and inverter batteries.
On float most of the time.

Both are wired for a few outlets. Kitchen and bath usually?
Fans
TV's
Refrigerator, rv or residential fridge.
And microwave.
Thats it.

The air conditioning and the balance of AC 120 outlets, additional refrigerators, AC Air compressor are shore power or generator powered only.

So basically, mine are on 95 percent all the time in the RV's.

Boat On - 100 percent

Attachment 266205
I met a guy with a King Aire and he can run his front A/C on the batteries. I think it had (16) 6-volt batteries. Don't know if this is standard equipment or not?
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote