RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
To Shade or not to Shade?

Regarding the exterior window shades specifically, I have been considering deleting the window shades only (part of the Gerard awning package), thinking that it would be a cleaner look on the exterior of the coach particularly on the the passenger side. My thinking was is that the larger awnings, and /or the interior MCD shades would take care of any issues with direct sun. After reading a comment on another post, I am now re-thinking this and also wondering how big of an issue deleting them would be on the driver side windows. To those of you that have the Gerard Awning Package window shades, how often do you use them and how important are they to you?

WeDigBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #2

Prior to owning our new to us 2005 Beaver MH, I thought the little window awnings on big motorhomes were just fluff. But now, with the MH, I put the awnings out whenever that window will get full sun, especially afternoon sun. Our small bathroom window does not have an awning, and that window passes a lot of heat to the inside of the coach. Much easier to control the temp inside the coach with awnings out. Get the awnings!

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We ordered a 17 DSDP 4369. 2 regrets. Not getting the chrome baggage door trim and not getting the full Gerard shade package for the windows. Had Gerard price adding two large awnings to the drivers side. $15k. Will be buying Magne Shade window coverings for the entire drivers side of the coach. The ones we purchased for the front window, drivers side window and the entry door/passenger window make a huge difference in the interior heat.
tyoneonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoneonit View Post
We ordered a 17 DSDP 4369. 2 regrets. Not getting the chrome baggage door trim and not getting the full Gerard shade package for the windows. Had Gerard price adding two large awnings to the drivers side. $15k. Will be buying Magne Shade window coverings for the entire drivers side of the coach. The ones we purchased for the front window, drivers side window and the entry door/passenger window make a huge difference in the interior heat.
You can order the polished stainless baggage door trim directly from the same folks who provide it to Newmar, Summit Stainless in Altoona, IA. They will ship you the kit and you can install yourself or have someone do it. I did my coach and it was time consuming but not hard to do. Or, you can go there and they will make the trim and install it.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #5

Trust me - having owned 4 Class coaches- get the window shades- you'll use them a lot & they are very wind durable!
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I really like the window shades on our coach for a couple reasons. First is the amount of direct sun it prevents from entering windows. Second is they provide a little privacy with the interior shades all up.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If nowhere else, get them on the drivers side at least...

you will barely notice them when in and I promise,
the difference in wind resistance WON'T be noticed
Old 10-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We use our window awnings most of the time. It's much nicer on a sunny day to have the awning out than to have the night shade down. They are sturdy enough to be left open all the time unless you have a real wind storm. Generally ours are out the entire time from when we arrive at a campground until we leave. Sometimes shade or the orientation of the rig means we don't need them on one side but we usually do. Ours are manual and very easy to put in and out. I wouldn't pay much extra to have motorized ones but I would definitely pay extra to have window awnings vs. not.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I got the two Girard novas for the passenger side and a digital printed magneshade up front, two years in a row. Excellent.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #10

I use the window shades more than the big awnings. They do make a difference and are essential on the driver's side. Also down the road when you decide to sell your coach it may be an issue for some buyers...
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I knew I needed window awnings the first time I experienced afternoon sun on the driver's side of the RV, it was 100+ at the 2012 Rally in Gillette, WY. I noticed how window awnings shook in the wind if it covered 2 windows and was 8+ feet long. I ordered 4 awnings from Camping World, 1 for each window, that matched the big passenger side awning and added 6" to the size of each window when I ordered them. They cost $1,300 and were installed by Camping World 3 months later. They make a big improvement in comfort when the sun shines. If I ever replace my RV I will order awnings 12" larger than the window size because the sun frequently shines at an angle that is not perpendicular to the windows.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Window shades are great
Have then on1999 Dutchstarr. Still work great
Russ Silber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #13

The large Gerard awnings are not that good in any kind of wind. The window awnings are definitely a good idea. Not so sure on the motorized units (ours are manual) as it's just another thing to go wrong.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote