Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2022, 09:15 AM   #1

Toad Blowout! Kudos to Comfort Drive

So coming through the Colorado Mountains 24 North from Frisco to Buena Vista. I hear a loud BANG, the steering wheel tugged hard left, but easily recovered to center. More of a feel then actually pulling the coach over. It was a simple thing to maintain direction until I was able to pull over.

Upon investigation my Honda Element blew the Right front tire (less than 500 miles on them) Lost the fender, blew my grill cover in half, knocked off the under the door panel.

Phew!! So not such good news on the tire and toad but so thankful for the Comfort Drive working as designed. Can't help but think how much worse it may have been in my older Coach without CD.
ScottnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2022, 01:32 PM   #2

You were able to recover easily/properly because you are a good driver. It had nothing to do with the comfort drive. Comfort drive may make it easier to turn the wheel depending on the effort you have selected but it does not correct the driver if they over steer. Firmer comfort drive settings may help you from oversteering because of the increased wheel effort required to turn the wheel and that's it. I blew out a rear toad tire behind our rig and was unaware of it until someone flagged me over. You probably felt it because it was a front tire on your toad which would upset it much more than a rear flat.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 01:39 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
This is a reason a TPMS is valuable on a toad. It won’t help in the event of a catastrophic failure. However, it will let you know before someone flags you down.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
This is a reason a TPMS is valuable on a toad. It won’t help in the event of a catastrophic failure. However, it will let you know before someone flags you down.
You are correct. It's on my list of amazon purchases right now. If the guy had not flagged my over, I would have destroyed a nice 20" aluminum rim on my F150. I was almost to the rim when I got it stopped.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
You are correct. It's on my list of amazon purchases right now. If the guy had not flagged my over, I would have destroyed a nice 20" aluminum rim on my F150. I was almost to the rim when I got it stopped.

Happened to me as well. I was running a TPMS, but forgot to turn on the toad portion!! Boy did I feel silly.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #6

I had a front tire blow on one of my TOADs and also never knew it until flagged by a passing motorist. No damage except the tire. That incident years ago prompted my first TPMS purchase.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I had a front tire blow on one of my TOADs and also never knew it until flagged by a passing motorist. No damage except the tire. That incident years ago prompted my first TPMS purchase.
Exact same experience I had. I couldn't see any problem in the rear camera and it took about 3 cars going past waving frantically for me to figure out they weren't just being friendly and to pull over.

Never felt anything at all. When I went back and looked at the Wrangler, it was on the rim. The front right tire was totally gone. I have no idea how far I towed the thing with a flat. There was no such thing as TPMS in those days.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:29 AM   #8

Now for me TPMS is required. Couple of years ago left front tire on Honda was almost to the rim. Trucker motioned me over but not before the inner fender well and some wireing was ripped out. On our trip this year we Motioned another driver over with right rear down to the rim on his toad.
sawmillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
In the process of moving my household goods into storage after selling one home to build another, my TPMS display got PACKED!! Along with my RV GPS, but who cares. I bought another TPMS display. I will not travel without one in this rig.

Glad your blowout turned out so well.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:38 AM   #10

Thanks to all who responded. TPMS is top of the list. And yes I know the Comfort Drive didn't save me, but it definitely made it an easy recovery and slow down to safety.

Wish I could say the same for USAA Roadside Service, but that's another story that has yet to have an end.
ScottnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottnJulie View Post
Thanks to all who responded. TPMS is top of the list. And yes I know the Comfort Drive didn't save me, but it definitely made it an easy recovery and slow down to safety.

Wish I could say the same for USAA Roadside Service, but that's another story that has yet to have an end.
TPM DO WORK YES THEY DO !!!!
The hard part is setting the high & low PSI points
I pull a 22 foot stacker trailer with 3 axles. Inside is Rav4 / 13 foot Boston Whaler and KLR 650 and tools to build houses for HFH. Yes it is a load.
While driving I10 W I center a piece of wood all was good tell it got to the hula skirt out back it took the hit and sent it to middle driver side and back tires.
The TPM started sounding off. Got off I10w and I was lucky I only got two nail holes in the center tire and one in the back one. I had a plug kit and because of the TPM I did not destroy the two tires $$$$. They work.
JC 4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottnJulie View Post

My TST (Truck System Technologies) TPMS has been great for the 4 years I've owned it. Easy to program and monitor the color screen as you drive.

And the #1 attribute is great customer service after the sale. I always talk with a knowledgeable, nice person (in the US) who spends whatever time I need to answer my question or help me with a programming issue. It's like calling an old friend in the business. That's important to me.
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:34 AM   #13

Your tire may have just lost preasure enough to heat up and then it blew. So if you had a TPM you might not of had that damage. TPM’s are worth the money and I highly recommend getting one if you don’t have one.
Gary More is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad