Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #1

Toad help

We bought a 2019 4018 from Moorpark Ca. we can not say enough good things about our RV or dealer we were a little worried about buying new verses a 1 or 2 year old hearing about all the bugs to get worked out but we have had 0 issues that being said. My only problem is when we get to our camp site we are stuck NO TOAD WE DID NOT THINK THIS THROUGH. So is a toad really hard to pull? Do you have to turn wider? Or am I overthinking it? Any help please..... you guys are the reason we picked a Newmar and we have learned so much here. Thanks in advance Joseph
Dutch Star 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star 1 View Post
We bought a 2019 4018 from Moorpark Ca. we can not say enough good things about our RV or dealer we were a little worried about buying new verses a 1 or 2 year old hearing about all the bugs to get worked out but we have had 0 issues that being said. My only problem is when we get to our camp site we are stuck NO TOAD WE DID NOT THINK THIS THROUGH. So is a toad really hard to pull? Do you have to turn wider? Or am I overthinking it? Any help please..... you guys are the reason we picked a Newmar and we have learned so much here. Thanks in advance Joseph
No problem pulling toad (power wise) just don’t try to back up. Going down the highway you probably won’t know it is there. There are some considerations when maneuvering in close quarters but it will following the mh, use your mirrors and camera and you will be fine.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #3

You can PM me and I’ll be happy to talk on the phone with you. Not only do we have the same awesome dealer...Tom Lindstrom...but I’ve done ALL the thought processes, and then some, that you’re going through regarding a TOAD.

I’d wear my fingers out, and bring this forum down if I wrote all my thoughts.

But, many many posts have been made on this topic and even one that’s ongoing. Bottom Line, I think you’ll quickly find, is that having a TOAD is a MUST for nearly all.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Did the same thing many years ago. Bought a MH, didn't think about a toad. After 1 short trip we got back home and bought a Wrangler. No problems at all pulling and maneuvering. You will almost forget it is there. And -- if your rear camera is angled properly you can A) Keep and eye on it; and B) Glance down to see when you have a cleared a vehicle that you are passing. Just don't do what many here have done (myself included) -- panic when your turn signal is on and your camera switches to the side view -- your toad is still there!
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:44 PM   #5

I can't imagine driving a 40' MH without a toad! How do you sitesee?

We had a Jeep and it gave us lots of entertainment with others and by ourselves. We explored the countrysides.

No, you won't know it's behind you. It also follows you. If your MH can make the turn the toad will, also.

Go shopping!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:33 AM   #6

Sounds like you are in the market for a toad. There are a lot of options available for toads. As far as driving the RV with a toad, the toad will follow the RV. However, backing up with a toad is a no-no for a number of reasons. When you get your toad, you will need to get a braking system, as well as a breakaway system for the toad. Again there are many options available to you, so do your homework well and you will end up with a nice rig.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star 1 View Post
Would it be a correct assumption that u do not have any type of vehicle now beside your MH? Is this the first rv that you have owned?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:33 AM   #8

There are really three general options for a toad on a MH.

Most popular is towing 4-down. Benefits are easy to hook up and unhook. Negatives are you can't backup and if you trade cars there is the added expense of re-installing the entire system.

Tow dolly with a front wheel drive car. Less money invested plus you can tow about anything as long as it is front wheel drive. Still can't really back up plus it is a lot more work to load and unload.

Vehicle either on or in a trailer. Can be about the same price or more as towing 4-down depending on type of trailer. Benefit is your vehicle stays clean and is protected, plus you can back up when needed. Negatives is you are longer and will not fit in some campgrounds. The loading and unloading will take a little more effort.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #9

TOAD

Thanks everybody for your input. Yes its our first MH we had rented and got the bug, now will be searching for a toad.
Dutch Star 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #10

Lots of good answers above. We always disconnect the towed right after check-in. My wife takes the park map, drives the towed and I follow to our site. If the site is tight, she helps me back in, getting the rig as far back as possible so the towed will fit in front.
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Dutch Star 1"....to really enjoy your coach and see the country, you really have to tow something. The toad is great for things as simple as going out to dinner after a long days drive, or sightseeing within Yellowstone, where we've driven our toad over 500 miles over a week.

There are many ways to tow a car, but the simplest is to tow the car on it's four tires (four down). Things to think about..... Do you need something big enough, like a four door, to carry passengers. We often travel with another couple and like something with room for four adults. Will the toad replace a vehicle you already have, or be an additional vehicle (extra expenditure). We tow a small truck, which is my daily driver.

Lastly, you'll have the expense of buying a specific vehicle or using something you already have. If you decide to tow four down, you're going to spend about $2500-$3000 to set up a vehicle for towing, if you can't do the work yourself.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you like to cook, enjoy exploring off road dirt roads and jeep trails, want to carry tools, or want comfort on the highway with room (especially leg room) for passengers, then a crew cab 4x4 pickup is a good choice.

The pick up bed can carry your Trager Smpker and fuel bags, a 5 gallon tank or two of propane, a complete pick-nik setup for a mid-day remote site party. A full extension slide out drawer in the bed will make access to your cargo much easier, and a commercial cap for the bed can hold the canoe and solar panels. The pickup bed also carries a case of water, emergency rations, bedding in case of a need to spend a night in the deep dark no-where. The 6' pickup bed can hold much more than a jeep when shopping in a no-sales-tax state (like the 77" OLED and Denon 8500H you have been wanting) and get it home safe and sound.

I have used a 2008 Tacoma access cab V6, AT, 4x4, with a DSC for the past 11 years and off roaded alone or with groups in CA, AZ, WY, MI-UP and it rides much better than a jeep.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #13

Keep in mind that not every car can be towed 4-down or even on a dolly. Looking for a new car? These change every year so make sure you're looking at a car you can use with your motorhome. Here's some good information on what cars can be and also other articles on towing and what's needed.

towing guide | MotorHome Magazine
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
One last thing to consider in your toad purchase - how much shopping the DW does. Truth be told, our Jeep GC is pretty much a towable shopping cart...
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad