Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 PM   #1

Toad protection

I took off my Newmar art last weekend as it got damaged on a trip south two weeks ago. How are people protecting the toad from damage with the guard gone? I have a roadmaster nighthawk tow bar and options from roadmaster are limited to either the tow defender or the road wing. I was also considering having a Jeep bra made maybe if that’s an option.
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 10:53 PM   #2

You will get less damage without that big Newmar flap than with it. So you just improved the situation.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:05 PM   #3

Agreed. Leave the advertisement off and you'll be just fine. On our trip to Alaska at a campground there were a handful of big rig owners actually removing the 'rock' guard because it was throwing rocks at the windshield. We went over and saw a layer of large rocks laying at the base of the windshields. We had just come the same way. We didn't have the big flap; just the stiff flaps behind the tires. We had no rocks at our windshield. We had no damage the whole trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:49 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use Roadmaster's Alaska Pack (guardian + defender).
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Took ours off the day we brought the coach home. With 30,000 miles we don't have a single chip on our Jeep.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #6

Took the rock guard off and put a bra on the front of the toad. Been good since then
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #7

I read a lot on this topic as we bought a new toad along with the coach. In my research it seemed most who remove the Newmar art don't have any issues with damage to the toad. There are still mud flaps behind the drive tires to stop any rocks they throw up. The best advocates for removal are those who drive the gravel roads to Alaska.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I removed the Newmar rock guard before our first trip. We didn’t have any issues yet but I plan to figure out how to install the Protect-A-Tow that I used on our Canyon Star with our Rogue on a dolly. The rear exhaust makes it more of a challenge on the Ventana.

The protect a tow keeps both the rear of the MH and the toad cleaner.
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #9

I found that the manufacturer rock guard would periodically drag the ground tossing rocks up on my toad causing damage. I took the rock guard off and seems much better.
LDK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:37 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toad protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
.......I plan to figure out how to install the Protect-A-Tow.... The rear exhaust makes it more of a challenge on the Ventana.

The protect a tow keeps both the rear of the MH and the toad cleaner.
The P-a-T (and copies) is the most sensible geometry of any device available. I bought one because I liked the design, not because my wide flap was a problem. The wide flaps are ok if properly installed (6”-8” off the ground) AND you avoid unpaved roads.
You can run the PaT over your exhaust if you mount a stand-off to keep the fabric a couple inches from the exhaust. I fabricated one on my DS from aluminum stock.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	753.1 KB
ID:	248227Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	535.0 KB
ID:	248228
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:55 AM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We have used the Roadmaster Tow Defender on three different coaches with excellent results. The only downside is that it is a bit dirty to roll up. A pair of gloves solves that problem.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:03 AM   #12

Anyone try the Demco Sentry Deflector? I'm thinking about getting it.
DutchStar JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:30 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
My Roadmaster Guardian sits in the garage next to the Newmar advertising flap. No chips on the toad.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"sheridany"......I use a product called Road Wrap. It's basically saran wrap with a little stickem on one side. I originally tried plastic carpet protector, but it had too much adhesive. The Road Wrap is designed specifically to protect the front of cars.

Protecting the front end has a lot to do with what car you have. Keeping a Jeep from getting dinged is pretty easy since it's high and doesn't have a lot of painted area. My truck only has one band of paint that I protect. I use the Road Wrap by stretching it across the painted area and cut it off the roll with a razor. You press it down and you're done. When we get to our destination, you peel it off, wad it up and discard. I don't use it on short trips, but days where we're towing all day, I install it. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad