Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Toad Shields

We've just gone from a Jeep Wrangler toad to a new Grand Cherokee Summit to tow behind our Ventana. I wasn't particularly worried about the Wrangler and road debris due to the high front end and the large Wrangler bumper, but the GC is a different matter, and its black so any dings and dents will be pretty obvious. I've done a search on toad shields and not found much thus far.

My questions. Do you use a toad shield? Which style -- upright, horizontal, or toad bra -- do you find more effective? Advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated. They're not cheap and I want to get the best system. Thanks.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #2

I use the upright shield and it does well but doesn't provide total protection. I have had several small paint chips but I was not expecting to get the windshield nicks that get past the upright shield.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilldoc View Post
I use the upright shield and it does well but doesn't provide total protection. I have had several small paint chips but I was not expecting to get the windshield nicks that get past the upright shield.
When we went to Alaska we used the Protect-A-Tow. We don't use anything in the lower 48 and eastern Canada. Still have the Protect-A Tow and can't use it because exhaust exits the rear and not the side.

Protect-a-Tow
Old 04-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #4

Like using fabric shields that go between coach and toad--easy to install, stays with coach when toad is in use, works great. If you are creative, make your own from a couple layers of patio sunshade material and bungee cord--cheap!!!!!
PS--I am also convinced that low hanging mud flaps the traverse the rear of the coach, kick-up more fine debris while at highway speeds--have one but raised it several inches to lessen debris effect.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:59 AM   #5

I removed my full width rear flap and do not use any protection device. I have the Roadmaster roll up screen, the BlueOx Kargard and a custom made windshield bra I had made for our trip to Alaska.
Since removing the big flap, I don't use either and the toad stays cleaner and no rock chips. Flaps behind the rear duals are all you need.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keith..... IMO the absolute best device is the Protect-a-Tow, with or without a full width hanging flap or a stand up rock guard. I have- and have used- all three, and I'm just about ready to sell the rock guard and demount the flap whenever I get around to it.

The PaT I believe works best with basic physical laws. Any grit or stones that start to bounce up will hit the screen at a very oblique angle, and very easily be deflected downward to the ground. There is virtually no chance of anything bouncing or being carried over or around the screen. I also believe the PaT in particular does the job better than it's similar competitors simply due to its size and shape. It plugs the hole more effectively.

Regarding the rear exhaust: as long as you keep the screen fabric minimum 1 inch away from the tail pipe it'll be ok-- per the PaT folks. I didn't like that, so I fabricated my own standoff for more clearance. Not pretty, but has worked fine for four years.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1460654553.781668.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1460654600.153978.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  88.9 KB

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #7

JFXG...nice workaround on the standoff to keep the hit exhaust tip from the netting.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks All. You've given me some good ideas and input (as is always the case here). Now its time to sort out the details and hit the road!
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:48 PM   #9

We use the Roadmaster Tow Defender. It has worked great on one hand that it keeps the rocks away from the CRV. The negative that I would have to say is the car can get very dirty at times depending on the road and weather. We love the ease of use and that it just rolls up by the tow bar when not in use. They have designed it well for cornering also with the struts. Overall I would buy it again.

PS: It hasn't been a problem with our diesel exhaust.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Oregonhiker - I am curious if have you adjusted your exhaust tip (45 degrees) like some have suggested and is your shield mounted above or below the exhaust tip.

I am picking up our new DSDP 4018 at the factory on June 6 so I am super interested in what you and others are doing.

Thank you!

Kirk

2016 DSDP 4018 on June 6, 2016
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I plan to drive up to AK this summer using the Roadmaster Alaska Pack to protect my 2014 CRV. Thinking of also using a yoga mat to pinch in with the front doors to protect the windshield while towing.
Copied this ad to give you an idea on what the setup is like. For some reason the picture did not transfer but I'm sure you can Google it. I had the pleasure of meeting the inventor at an FMCA rally in Redmond, OR.

Roadmaster Alaska Pack Rock Protection
[ 4000-4700 ]
Submit
List Price: $978.60
Our Price: $848.00
Free Shipping!

Click On Image to Enlarge

The Ultimate in rock protection!
This combo package includes the Roadmaster Guardian, and Tow Defender rock shield, for complete vehicle protection against damage to the vehicle's finish, headlights, grill and windshield. This combo works with all Roadmaster tow bars with Quick-disconnects.

Guardian Features:
High impact Polyethylene
Attach and remove in seconds
Protects your vehicle from dings and dents
Works with all Roadmaster tow bars equiped with quick disconnects
Made in the USA

Note: MX, MS and EZ5 brackets will not accommodate the Guardian rock Shield.

Tow Defender Features:
All weather screen
Quick installation and release
Reinforced seams and gussets for added longevity
Powder-coated steel supports and heavy-duty gas struts for maximum durability, support and cornering flexibility
Rolls up to 4 inches in diameter
Gas Struts for corneing flexability
Light weight
Made in the USA

Use an exhaust "turn down" to redirect the engine exhaust, if located directly below the Tow Defender. The Tow Defender fabric may be warped or otherwise damaged if a turn down is not installed, or if other exhausts which cannot be redirected are in close proximity to the fabric

In the Box
Polyethylene shield
All weather screen
All hardware and brackets
Detailed instructions

Guardian Instructions Tow Defender Instructions

Manufacturer: Roadmaster
Part Number: 4000-4700
Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #12

Kirk:

Our's is mounted above the exhaust tip. It actually rolls out over the tow bar and attaches or mounts to the top of the brackets. I believe that our exhaust tip is just pointed down.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks oregonhiker!
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad