RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #1

Todd PS250 Bad

I believe I toasted my transfer switch. Had a power fault on the circuit where my coach is plugged in. Now when I plug in the shore power there's no contactor action and no 120 to coach. Generator side works fine. Todd seems to be no longer in business - please recommend a replacement 50A switch if you have one.

tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will find info on transfer switch in the important check list top of this thread or the TECH INFO Link in my signature or a recall list further below in large thread.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Before you replace the transfer switch, make sure nothing in the power cord got damaged from the plug end to transfer switch box.

SurgeGuard is the brand that Newmar is currently using in their coaches. You can buy it with or without surge protection.

Lastly, even though my coach has the SurgeGuard with surge protection, I bought a $100.00 SurgeGaurd portable surge protector that plugs in at the pedestal. I figure if that gets blown, I'll still be in operation.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #4

Don't assume its your relay or surge protector - it could be your shore power reel. Do you have a powered shore power cord reel? Using a meter- check the voltage at your pedestal receptacle, inside your transfer switch box where your shore power cord leads (3 wires plus ground) come in. I had a bad Glenndiming Power Cord reel that was not making contact inside the reel. They say to never adjust your shore power cord length under load.

Glenndiming did a quick turnaround on rebuilding it in 10 days & it was only $75 plus freight both ways. While it was out of the coach, I bolted all the leads together with #10 bolts & taped each of them with electrical tape, so I could continue to run off shore power.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrigsby View Post
I believe I toasted my transfer switch. Had a power fault on the circuit where my coach is plugged in. Now when I plug in the shore power there's no contactor action and no 120 to coach. Generator side works fine. Todd seems to be no longer in business - please recommend a replacement 50A switch if you have one.
Todd Engineering switches were catching fire and Todd went out of business. They came back as IOTA with the same setup. I would replace that transfer switch as soon as possible. My '04 DSDP has the Iota transfer switch and I have a new on coming.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:33 AM   #6

Thank for all the info. I measured voltage at the input of the shore power contactor and had 116v on both the red and black leads, so I think my power cord and pigtails are good. Don't have a cable reel. I've ordered a Surge Guard 40100 50 AMP ATS and also a surge protector.

tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote