Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Toilet Water Level

Our 2016 Baystar is currently at Newmar for several warranty items. One item on our list was the that the toilet bowl will lose the entire 2 inch or so of water we leave in the bowl in about 3 weeks. Some RVers I've spoken with say that it shouldn't lose any water but the Newmar tech in charge of the repairs said the leakage we see is normal. Just wonder what you savvy more experienced owners have to say? We're relatively new to this.
RainHurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Evaporation?

If it's in hot temperatures, the small amount of water they have in the bowl could easily evaporate in a couple of weeks. You might want to add extra water when storing to help prevent odors.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There should be no leakage in the toilet. The gasket should be replaced and it's a simple thing to do.
Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
3 weeks, the tiny bit of water in the bowl will evaporate.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #5

Our water level drops too. How do you change this gasket? I looked for a you tube on the procedure. I've also looked on the Thetford website.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #6

2'' in 3 weeks is a lot. 1'' could evaporate in 3 weeks. Could be a combo of this and seepage? I've seen every video (they're out there keep looking) on cleaning the seal, lubricating it -- had a special emory board type wand I used. Brillo type pad, cleanser, stiff bristled brush. Allowing the drain peddle to snap back.

A 2016 is too new to have a dirt problem.

Couple weeks ago, at the Factory, my CS bedroom toilet lost water within couple days. My Tech cleaned it with something I can't remember the name of, then lubed it with something I've also forgotten. I wasn't paying attention.

Whatever he did, it fixed the leak.

Years ago, on a 5th wheel, I resolved an ongoing problem of losing water over a long period of time, I replaced the base of the toilet -- ball, flange -- and that solved the leak.

If the Tech thinks it's in the normal range, that's about right.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:28 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My toilet used to leak a small amount. I cleaned the gasket and put pool lube on it. That's the grease type lube that you put on swimming pool rubber gaskets. Does not leak now. It will still evaporate if you leave it long enough.

Jerry
Old 10-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #8

To help with evaporation, you could Saran Wrap the bowl as that is what we have done for a reg house toilet storage.
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Don't forget to remove the Saran Wrap the next time you put it to use!

Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet, water