Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Toilet wobbles

Hi, I just replaced the toilet in my 2005 MADP. When I was removing the old one I noticed the the previous owner did not use the flange bolts, but instead put self-tapping screws into the flooring which appears to be a layer of concrete under the tile? I couldn't figure out why until I installed the new toilet.

I used the flange screws as instructed, but the flange is not secure to the floor so there is a wobble when you use the toilet.

I'm not clear how to fix this. There seems to be a wooden ring under the flange around the opening, on top of some concrete looking material?

I need to better secure the toilet, so I was considering fabricating some sort of layer to put between the toilet and the flange, in effect raising it a 1/16 of an inch hoping that would give it a more secure feel.

I have no fear of it tipping over as it's connected to the flange, but with the flange not secured to the floor there is some give.

Any advice would be helpful. It's driving my wife nuts. :-0
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2022, 05:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSFL View Post
Hi, I just replaced the toilet in my 2005 MADP. When I was removing the old one I noticed the the previous owner did not use the flange bolts, but instead put self-tapping screws into the flooring which appears to be a layer of concrete under the tile? I couldn't figure out why until I installed the new toilet.

I used the flange screws as instructed, but the flange is not secure to the floor so there is a wobble when you use the toilet.

I'm not clear how to fix this. There seems to be a wooden ring under the flange around the opening, on top of some concrete looking material?

I need to better secure the toilet, so I was considering fabricating some sort of layer to put between the toilet and the flange, in effect raising it a 1/16 of an inch hoping that would give it a more secure feel.

I have no fear of it tipping over as it's connected to the flange, but with the flange not secured to the floor there is some give.

Shim the toilet around the floor enough to take care of the play and then caulk around the base of the toilet to conceal shims. Use steel washers or something else hard so it won't give. Just keep them to the inside of the toilet that way they are not protruding and can be covered by the caulk.
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Newmar actually installs these toilets with the self tappers.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:45 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I shimmed mine with wooden shims from the hardware store. Tap them in and break them off. Worked great, don't even notice them.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Newmar actually installs these toilets with the self tappers.
Entegra does the same.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:40 PM   #6

My toilet fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSFL View Post

As someone who has a disdain for rocking toilets, I do the following and it has always worked. The other suggestions are good also and similar.

I tighten the self tapping screws down to a good snug. If it rocks, and most do, I lean it forward or aft depending on which way it gives and force about a 3” strip of silicone on each side and let sit overnight. No more rocking toilet. If you have to remove, use a razor and cut the silicone.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you

Thank you all for the great insights and recommendations. Glad I wasn't alone with this problem.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:45 PM   #8

They make a plastic shim for toilets to stop the wobbling. Plumbing supply houses would have them, could probably find online. After you shim it, I would use some grout to fill the gap, you could caulk that if you wanted to. Fill the void with caulk will be a PITA to remove in the future if you have to.

Tags
toilet