Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

Toll Module

What is the “Universal Toll Module” option? How does it work?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

I can't answer your question about how it works. It's probably a toll module that can be read by some or maybe even most toll roads. I can say I didn't include it on my MA order because I feel these universal electronic devices become out dated quickly and become useless.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
It is a built in multi protocol toll transponder that covers the three different technologies currently in use in North America. It will probably not become obsolete any time soon as the states are rebuilding or adding new toll roads using these current protocols. If any technology replaces this, it will probably be plate readers.
The states hanging on to the protocol they chose is part of the delay in the interoperability requirement. The toll agencies prefer transponders over plate readers as their transponders usually require credit card prepayment versus mailing an invoice and dealing with collections.
The decision is more of a financial choice. I am guessing there is a management fee on top of whatever tolls are incurred, not to mention the price of the product.
We use a similar product in our over the road trucks that travel across all states. It makes sense for us from an ease of administration perspective. It may or may not make sense for you. I would ask for more information on the subscription costs before deciding.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have no idea what Newmar considers a Universal Toll Module or how it works.

As others have pointed out, different states and toll agencies have standardized on different technologies. Today I have both an EZ-Pass issued by Virginia and a SunPass issued by Florida. Neither of these agencies assess a monthly fee if the pass is not used.

Now, the Central Florida Tollway Authority, who runs the toll roads around Orlando/Disney EXCEPT the Florida Turnpike now has a pass hey call the EZ Pass Xtra.

This pass will work in the 18 states EZ Pass has in their compact, the Florida Turnpike and the Central Florida Tollway Authority roads. Plus, they have no minimum usage or monthly fees. To add icing to the cake, they don't have classes of vehicles. You can put the pass on any vehicle and they will bill the number of axles....

I have already ordered 2, one for the coach and one for the TOAD. When I'm towing I'll just put the TOAD pass in the RF shield bag and let them count axles.

From my research this should cover-

the 18 EX Pass states

all Florida toll roads

The Atlanta toll roads (but they restrict to only two axles)

The North Carolina toll roads/bridges
tim5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
I
Now, the Central Florida Tollway Authority, who runs the toll roads around Orlando/Disney EXCEPT the Florida Turnpike now has a pass they call the EZ Pass Xtra.
Minor correction - - The new one is E-Pass Xtra (no Z) The regular one in Florida is E-Pass.

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-xtra/
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBoz View Post
Minor correction - - The new one is E-Pass Xtra (no Z) The regular one in Florida is E-Pass.

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-xtra/
Well heck (insert different word here), I've looked at that about 25 times and kept reading it as EZ.....

Thanks!!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #7

Newmar option details are hard to find.

Often, there are not a lot of details on Newmar options. You often have to wait for new owners to tell you the details.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2x on using the EPass Xtra. Now I am waiting for Texas to get onboard!
Old 09-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This thread got my attention as I am a EZ-Pass user.

But - seems the Florida hi ways that now accept EZ-Pass are a hodgepodge. Made for for local users rather than people passing thru......at least it's a start!!

Here is the map of available Florida EZ-Pass roads:

https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/up...ZPassFinal.pdf

If I remember correctly, all toll roads, at least in the East and Midwest were suppose to fall under the EZ-Pass banner or as a minimum, accept the pass....

g
Old 09-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
If I remember correctly, all toll roads, at least in the East and Midwest were suppose to fall under the EZ-Pass banner or as a minimum, accept the pass....

g
The federal government gave the toll authorities nationwide a deadline of 2016 to be interoperable across the country.

You see how that worked.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...le/1443102002/
Old 09-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Tolls?

I researched it when it was introduced. It is designed to replace the wide variety of of toll modules that some of us have. This actually is the result of congress telling states to get a uniformed system for tolls on all interstates. These are now being made available on several new cars but Newmar is the only one I know of offering it for RVs. The trucking industry is jumping on board as well. Eventually the goal is to make it work on ferries and parking lots at airports and municipal parking.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
This thread got my attention as I am a EZ-Pass user.

But - seems the Florida hi ways that now accept EZ-Pass are a hodgepodge. Made for for local users rather than people passing thru......at least it's a start!!

Here is the map of available Florida EZ-Pass roads:

https://www.cfxway.com/wp-content/up...ZPassFinal.pdf

g
This is the latest offering in FL. E-Pass-Xtra is compatible with 18 states and all that accept E-ZPass.
https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/about-e-pass/
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #13

Thanks

Thanks for all the info.