Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #1

Too much AC in bathroom!

We are in our 9th week of FT in our MH. We have a 1998 Newmar Mountain Air 40 ft. When its hot outside we like to turn on the AC which works very well except our bedroom in the back doesn't get much air back there and the bathroom/laundry room get tons of AC wind; too much, which we would like to know if someone out there knows how to stem the flow in the bathroom and increase the AC to the bedroom instead? My DH said there are two AC units on the roof of the coach; one towards the front and one on the rear coach. Does anyone have any good ideas how to solve our problem?
happycookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi happycookin,
Are both HVAC units participating in cooling the coach equally? Other than setting the temperature for each unit there is no difference as to their connection to the ducts (except physical location). Both units feed the same ducts. To alter the focus of the A/C, consider setting the temperature differently for each unit until you get the desired result. The front unit will supply air with a focus on the front of the coach. The rear unit will do the same with a focus on the rear of the coach. Also make sure the air return filters are clean.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The problem probably is that the bathroom outlets are closer to the AC unit then the bedroom ones. You can reduce the air flow in the bathroom by restricting the airflow from the ceiling outlets. You can experiment by changing the size of cardboard which you tape inside the grill. Once you find the right size you can replace the cardboard with some more permanent material

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ceiling ducts go full length of the coach both cool air out and return.
Maybe its time to check the return air filters in bedroom or all for that matter and remove the foam filter and clean or replace them.
Cleaning the AC's. Scroll down until you see AC's.
With every thing cleaned you should have good air flow out all vents.
If not than you may want to check the vents and see if you may have company in them or some type of blockage.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have the same issue in the bedroom. It gets real cold. I couldn't find adjustable grills for the air ducts. So I put black duct tape on the inside of the grill to redirect the flow of air to the front where there is greater need because of the large front window. Works like a champ.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tom adjustable vents for AC duct.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We had the same problem, and we have a bird that likes warm.......sealed off the duct work to make a seperation from the front and rear A/C units, so the rear is the bedroom/Bathroom , and the front unit, is just for the front. The bath was still cold and a lot of air blowing , so I covered 5/8 of the ceiling vent......works well now.......directs more to the bedroom. I am able to run the heat pump out front to keep the bird warm, and we close the bedroom door and have the A/C on. Has worked well for years now this way.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

My redneck quick fix would be a rolled up towel stuffed inside the vent behind the grill.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Try putting a foam return air filter in the cold supply grill. Will allow some cold air thru.

Good Luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #10

We have the same problem. Had to almost completely block the air coming into the bathroom. I suspect that the air conditioner unit is almost directly above the bathroom. To remove the grill pull down and twist.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
...I am able to run the heat pump out front to keep the bird warm, and we close the bedroom door and have the A/C on. Has worked well for years now this way.
I don't want to twist this too far but...

How do you get the AC in the BR and the HP in the front? Unless I am missing something (besides my mind) my zone 1 controls what is available. If it is set Zone 1to AC, the BR can only get AC. Same for HP. Of course, the furnace is master of all. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:58 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I don't want to twist this too far but...

How do you get the AC in the BR and the HP in the front? Unless I am missing something (besides my mind) my zone 1 controls what is available. If it is set Zone 1to AC, the BR can only get AC. Same for HP. Of course, the furnace is master of all. LOL
Hello Don, on mine, I just select zone 2(Bedroom) and set it on cool, and then press the zone button again and select zone 1 , and set it to heat pump, and set the desired temp for both. Do you have a "Zone" button? Maybe a new style thermostat in yours? this is what mine looks like.....
Old 04-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hello Don, on mine, I just select zone 2(Bedroom) and set it on cool, and then press the zone button again and select zone 1 , and set it to heat pump, and set the desired temp for both. Do you have a "Zone" button? Maybe a new style thermostat in yours? this is what mine looks like.....
Yep...that is my 5 button unit. Maybe I need to play with it more but from what I have seemed to find is that what ever function you pick for zone 1 controls the function of zone 2. The temp and fan controls remain separate.

This could be a function of the set up. As an example I know of folks that say there units will automatically switch from heat pump to furnace if the outside air temp gets to0 low. Mine won't. I'm suspecting that

The problem is that Dometic will not give an individual user one ounce of tech support to help trouble shoot or analyze their systems. You must rely on other users, occasional schematic/service manuals that pop up on the internet and such. I'm in the process of investigating what it takes to integrate the AC control system into my AGS and maybe in the process I can solve a couple other issues like this.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
Try putting a foam return air filter in the cold supply grill. Will allow some cold air thru.

Good Luck!
HMMMM....didn't think of that one!

While we don't have a huge problem with a cold bathroom, we do have a problem with the proximity of some vents to the main thermostat. They push air directly or nearly so to the thermostat causing it to short cycle a tad. One of the 2 vents in the bedroom bothers Sandee and she has built a deflector. A couple foam filters in the right places just might do the job.