Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #1

Top of full wall slide not fully extended

Just had some adjustments made to my FWD. The right side of FWS (when outside looking at it) wasn't fully retracting. That's fixed (adjusted stop bolt), but this morning I noticed that along the top of the front half of the FWS and on the front vertical portion (just behind driver's seat), the top half of the foam isn't touching.

I could have sworn I double checked front and back of full wall slide before leaving Nappanee, but the gap I found this morning is large. I can easily put my fingers between the wall and foam without compressing foam.

What would cause the top/front half of slide to not fully retract and seal when the bottom is fully extended?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #2

I did measure and the back is extended a bit over 1/2" more than the front, when measured outside. I bet if I got the same extra 1/2" up front it might come close to compressing the foam.

Is this something that reprogramming electronic soft stops would take care of. They said they only adjusted the rear stop rod.

However, they did change out the bolts on the motor, as they said they used to use a bolt and a lock washer and now they use bolts that are supposed to be more resistant to backing out.

Anyway, not sure if the motor housing was installed in a slightly different angle, if they didn't do one bolt at a time.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
How does the entire bottom of the FWS look? Flush and even? The top of the slide going in should seal just before the bottom is in and the motors shut off from the stop rods.
In program mode you can bump each motor independently, but from your posts, that is not what needs adjusted.
Sounds like the slide at the ends of the slide arms/boxes needs raised a bit, thus tilting the top of the FWS inward ? Make sense?
My FWS going out, top seals, hits first and bottom moves just a bit more then stops. Just the same coming in, top seals first, bottom travels in a bit more and stops.

I have went through my slide and made it fit perfect, in and out. Adjusted the slide tilt bolts, stop rods, and the motor limits. And while doing a rear wheel well project, found another adjustment for the rear of the FWS, it adjusts the rear of the slide vertically. Top to bottom .
Hope this helps!

In this thread you will see the rear adjustable mechanism I speak of. It is in front of the drive tires under a molded plastic cover.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rea...et-544529.html
Old 09-19-2021, 05:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thinking last night, put your slide out and stop it just before the roller's go down the ramps. From under the slide, take a flashlight and get your hand up in there and feel the metal ramps for the roller's. Check the entire area along the FWS for anything that might of gotten left behind from the build or is gotten in there, that might be interfering with the roller's.
I inspected mine, as I clean the ramps once a year and found 24- 9mm and 6- 22 mag bullet's laying in the bottom edge from the pervious owner! None were in the metal ramp's where the roller's rest when extended thank God! I was shocked!

Here is a thread that might also help you out
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ven...nt-456507.html
Old 09-19-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Thinking last night, put your slide out and stop it just before the roller's go down the ramps. From under the slide, take a flashlight and get your hand up in there and feel the metal ramps for the roller's. Check the entire area along the FWS for anything that might of gotten left behind from the build or is gotten in there, that might be interfering with the roller's.
I inspected mine, as I clean the ramps once a year and found 24- 9mm and 6- 22 mag bullet's laying in the bottom edge from the pervious owner! None were in the metal ramp's where the roller's rest when extended thank God! I was shocked!

Here is a thread that might also help you out
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ven...nt-456507.html
Thanks, and that's my thread, actually. That was the problem I tried to solve, which the factory finally did, which was the rear not closing flush when retracted.

I'm about to pack up and head home. Sometime in the next few days, after getting home, I'll spend some time trying a few things. I'll check for any debris, and also check the soft limits, as the front is not extended as far as the rear.

I rechecked last night and while the bottom of the vertical wall near drivers seat has the foam touching, I don't think it's compressed like it used to be.

So, my hope is that if I can use the reprogramming to bump out the front the 5/8" that would make the front extended the same as the rear, I'm hoping that would get me back to a good seal all around.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
when extending does it stop before the trans torque bushing pops? If so, then you still have room to reprogram it out refuter. You don't want the trans torque bushing popping on each extension, that means too much pressure.

Its a fine line with adjusting it. You can adjust the one side more than the other, and 5/8" sounds reasonable...its equiv of a 1s press on the adjustment.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #7

I don't think I've heard the transtorque pop. It doesn't even seem like it's Amping out. Just stops.

However, not sure how I didn't notice, guess just so much I was reviewing. The slide front and back isn't all the way down the ramp. Not really sure what Newmar did. If when they were fixing the rear not fully retracting or when replacing motor bolts or if they did a limit reprogram and never checked on the inside.

Kicking myself for not noticing while I was still there. I left it there for three weeks, then stayed a day and a half on pickup to check things out before heading home.

Hopefully when they adjusted the stop bolts to fix not fully retracting they didn't prevent FWS from fully extending. I'll try a limit reset, if that doesn't work, I guess I need to learn how to adjust the stop nuts.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you need to reprogram the stop points. Common issue I had with my 2013 dsdp.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Sounds like you need to reprogram the stop points. Common issue I had with my 2013 dsdp.
One evening this week or next weekend, and I'll head out to my RV garage across town and try setting the limits.

My original problem (from factory) that started all this was the stop rod not allowing the rear of the FWS to go flat. Dealer adjusted the stop, but then the rear didn't close flush.

Hadn't been back to the dealer since then, but it was on my list for Newmar. They told me the dealer hadn't adjusted the stop nut to allow it to close fully. Newmar also replaced slide bolts along with loctite and witness marks.

So, I'm hoping that when they adjusted the stops to have it close flush, they didn't reintroduce the not extending flat problem.

Will see. If resetting the limits don't fix it, how difficult is it to adjust the stop nuts?
Old 09-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's very easy. 2 nuts locked together. Depending which direction, you loosen the opposite nut, adjust the distance and tighten again.

If you need better instructions I can find the document from newmar tech training.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:20 PM   #11

Quote:
It's very easy. 2 nuts locked together. Depending which direction, you loosen the opposite nut, adjust the distance and tighten again.

If you need better instructions I can find the document from newmar tech training.
I guess there is a set for each direction? I've seen the set that is visible under the slide maybe 12" from the outside of the slide, which presumably controls retracting. Where/how do you get to the ones that stop it when extending? I'm assuming there were two pairs of nuts at each end of the rod.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I guess there is a set for each direction? I've seen the set that is visible under the slide maybe 12" from the outside of the slide, which presumably controls retracting. Where/how do you get to the ones that stop it when extending? I'm assuming there were two pairs of nuts at each end of the rod.

I found the newmar document here:
https://newpar.newmarcorp.com/instan...2013SLPRES.pdf
Old 09-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Page 7 - item #12 discusses the stop rods. It does say that they are used for slide travel in or out.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Page 7 - item #12 discusses the stop rods. It does say that they are used for slide travel in or out.
Thanks. Read that three times and still shaking my head. Maybe it will make more sense when I get back out and look at the unit. I only recall seeing one set of nuts near the end of the rod closest to the outer wall of the slide. Need to see if I can find the nut to adjust the length of the rod.

Thanks for finding that.

Tags
slide