Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #1

Touch Up Paint

I have the color code for automotive paint, Sherman Williams. They want eighty one dollars for a pint and I only have two spots about the size of a quarter to touch up.

Sherman Williams automotive, tells me that the house paint store cannot duplicate automotive color codes, I would use a house paint if I could match the color for the small areas I need to touch up. Said take a sample to the house store and they could match it. How or where do I get a sample from the MOHO?

What have any of you done in this situation??? Guess I could try to bring a color chart home and match it myself..Just wondering..
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #2

I tried the Sherman Williams automotive paint route, they mixed up a sample for me according to the paint code in my Newmar, it was way too dark, by doing an online search I was able to find a company here in Georgia that sold the brand of paint my MH was painted with (Sikkens). They sent out someone to use a computer based system to match my paint perfectly. They mixed up six spray paint cans for me, that plus a top coat, paint mask and other things I bought came to a little more than a hundred bucks. Course I needed to repaint a couple of basement doors, a lot more than what you need. Search around, you can do better than Sherman Williams.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
I have the color code for automotive paint, Sherman Williams. They want eighty one dollars for a pint and I only have two spots about the size of a quarter to touch up.

Sherman Williams automotive, tells me that the house paint store cannot duplicate automotive color codes, I would use a house paint if I could match the color for the small areas I need to touch up. Said take a sample to the house store and they could match it. How or where do I get a sample from the MOHO?

What have any of you done in this situation??? Guess I could try to bring a color chart home and match it myself..Just wondering..
Is touch up available from the coach builder?
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Is touch up available from the coach builder?
Newmar has the touch up paint, but when I tried, would not ship it to me. Had to pick up at factory. Also tried many vendors, have not found the solution yet, minus the factory. Also found BASF paint to be of two types, water based is what is being used today according to a vendor. $81.00 was a price I got but also needed a clear coat, so the price was about double that and not water based either. Let me know if you find a solution worthwhile.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #5

touch up paint

I have the paint number and my couch has Sherman Williams paint on it.
will check with Newmar bout the touch up paint. thanks \
Old 11-20-2015, 02:54 AM   #6

best is find a place that has a camera .you will never be able to do anything decent with house paint .
I run a RV body shop and boat repair I am lucky enough to have a complete system with a camera to scan any color. I can always mix the minimum the system allow for .sometimes the minimum is more then you need but there are no way around it .
if you don't care that will look bad but just care about have the chips sealed buy anything close to the color you need in a little touch up nail polish kind of kit at the store .

if you go to a body shop supply like NAPA they will scan the color you need and mix it for you .with the right color you could make nice touch up if you do it the right way .do you have pics of the repair area you want to do ?
with touch up sometime they look like 1 inch but you need to do 1 ft .depending where you will cut the touch up will be the difference in a stain looking spot or a invisible repair . if you get the paint and need help let me know .
if you look at my web site fibromobile.com look under boat pictures you will see a red boat called ( MY WAY ) and there is a picture of the camera scanning the color codes. it will give you a idea of what you need to find
gridfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:15 AM   #7

I called APS Tower Paint Co. in Appleton, WI (800-529-0579 and gave them my paint code, they sent 2 cans of custom mixed spray paint and 1 can of acrylic clearcote for $66.12. The colors matched perfect.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #8

Thanks for all your replies. I found a automotive paint source that cross referenced the Sherman's Williamx paint code.
A quart of paint and a glass bottom portable sprayer 35.00. Think this will work out just fine. Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
I called APS Tower Paint Co. in Appleton, WI (800-529-0579 and gave them my paint code, they sent 2 cans of custom mixed spray paint and 1 can of acrylic clearcote for $66.12. The colors matched perfect.
Used the internet site this morning with my paint codes; not heard from them yet. Thanks for the post!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #10

For future knowledge; Sherwin Williams and Martin Senour are the same, both made by Sherwin Williams.

NAPA supplies Martin Senour to bodyshops.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #11

the forum members come through, yet again, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Tags
paint