Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 03:32 AM   #1

Touch up paint differences

We got our first motor home this year and I'm still getting used to driving something that big. Anyway coming home I has a slight argument with an interstate exit ramp guard rail. The guard rail won. There was no actual damage but there was a long scratch along 3/4 on the passenger side. I was able to buff 90% of the scratch out but a couple of places require a bit of touch up paint. The MH is a 2014 Bay Star we bought used and there was a bag of touch up paint from the original owners so I used that. There were 3 colors involved and 2 of them match as well as can be expected for touch up paint and looked good but the third color was considerably darker, so much so that it looks as noticeable as the scratch. I thought maybe the paint was old so ordered some more from Newmar but that color was the same as the first batch. The color is Light Champagne, #44429B. Has anyone had this problem and if so any suggestions to address this?

Thank you.
Naptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you can't get the color closer, try getting some bright white touch up paint from an auto parts store, it doesn't matter what car it's for, just the brightest you can find. On a piece of tin, make a couple passes with the white, let it dry and then try the champagne. Let it dry and see if it's a closer match. A lot of paint colors/shades are influenced by the base coat.

Lastly, if you have some part on the coach that is removable, like an exterior refer door that has the color in it, take the door to an automotive paint store. They can match the color and produce a small touch up bottle.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Darker paint tends to fade over time, making the correct touch-up color look darker than the paint surrounding it. Matching paint colors on a coach more than a year or so old can sometimes be a challenge.

You may need to get some white touch-up paint and use a little of it to lighten up the colored touch-up paint. I have done this and it does work, though it takes a bit of patience...something I don't have an infinite supply of.

Here's my technique. Use two fine-tipped artist's brushes and a piece of smooth, white cardboard. Dip one brush in the colored touch-up paint and make a very wet stripe on the cardboard. Dip the second brush in the white touch-up paint and make a parallel wet stripe next to the first.

Now, using the brush with colored paint on it, pull a little white paint into the colored stripe and mix until you get the proper color. It can take several tries to get a close match, so don't get in a hurry. In a few cases where the hue is off, you may need to mix in a little bit of a third color to adjust it.

Remember, also, that high-gloss automotive paints may look just a bit darker when dry than when wet. Stay just slightly on the lighter side with the first coat. If it seems too light when dry, mix and use a slightly darker shade for the next coat. Repeat until you get a good match.

IME, the bigger issue is how you apply the touch-up paint, even after you have the right color. Use a very fine-tipped artist's brush and very light strokes to apply a very small amount of paint. Build up the coats until you get the proper coverage. And, keep a clean rag handy to wipe off any errors and be prepared to start over...maybe several times. I can be a tedious process to get a good touch-up job.

Good luck.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 PM   #4

Had same problem. Took refrigerator cover to Car Quest parts store that mixes auto paint. They took a picture with their camera mixed my paint, perfect .
Any auto pant store should be able to do this.

Bill & Gail and 2 fury kids
04 Northern Star
14 Malibu AF1 bbraking
Bill Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

Thank you

Thank you all for the tips. I wonder what is about the other colors that keep them from fading line the Light Champagne did. I'll try the suggestions with the white paint first and if that doesn't work one scratch is on a compartment door so I should be able to take it off and take it somewhere to have the color matched.

The scratch is on the passengers side and I get mad at myself every time I see it.

Again thank you.

David
Naptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

I told my brother when he got the first scratch on his motorhome that if he doesn't have a few scratches and dents, he's not having enough fun! He said that he must be have'n a hell of a time!

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint