Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #1

Tow Car

Just getting started with a 2022 Ventana-after several short trips it is evident that we will need a tow car to fully enjoy our trips. Seeking information for the smallest usable tow car and the proper tow equipment. Thanks
Baxsterob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2022, 12:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We love our 2014 Honda CRV for towing. Tows easy and great for day trips in the areas we visit. If we were to buy new, we’d probably get a Chevy Equinox or Ford Escape. We use RoadMaster towing equipment. It has been very solid for 8 years. We like the looks of the Blue Ox because it doesn’t have the bar in front of the tow vehicle when towing. It comes off, however, after our trip is over. I think you will find that towing is a great way to go.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We had an Equinox set up with Blue Ox. Great package. Easy to tow and a good vehicle.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxsterob1 View Post
Just getting started with a 2022 Ventana-after several short trips it is evident that we will need a tow car to fully enjoy our trips. Seeking information for the smallest usable tow car and the proper tow equipment. Thanks
Flat towing? ... New or used? Price range?
I personally would recommend a 2 door 4x4 Wrangler Sport with soft top if looking for small and lightweight.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Flat towing? ... New or used? Price range?
I personally would recommend a 2 door 4x4 Wrangler Sport with soft top if looking for small and lightweight.
I would agree with the Wrangler - seems to be the most popular toad. The 4 doors look pretty useful as they have some extra room inside. They can also carry a large bike rack if required.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhexpert View Post
The 4 doors look pretty useful as they have some extra room inside.
Just take out the back seat of a 2 door for cargo room. I suspect the OP is looking for light weight.
The 4 doors hardtops don't weigh all that much less than my 4 door F-150 toad. I will say that my Wrangler was super easy to prep and tow.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Small is relative, but you can still flat tow a new Nissan Versa, which is pretty small, as long as it’s manual. I prefer the roadmaster baseplates, but blue ox also seems reputable. Personally, I tow a ford ranger and like having the bed to use like a trailer. The new maverick in certain configurations is also towable, as is the bronco and the hybrid and plug in hybrid ford escape.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #8

Give serious consideration to buying a 1/2 ton crew cab 4X4 pickup reasons being- you can push a button to disengage transfer case- you're free wheeling- if you get a fold up center counsel you can haul 6 people ( the Medicare dinner bunch) And you get additional storage/hauling capacity in the bed of the truck & it's receiver will accommodate a bike rack. All of these are pluses.

I can't even tell mine is back there & it doesn't seen to affect the MPG!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Give serious consideration to buying a 1/2 ton crew cab 4X4 pickup reasons being- you can push a button to disengage transfer case- you're free wheeling- if you get a fold up center counsel you can haul 6 people ( the Medicare dinner bunch) And you get additional storage/hauling capacity in the bed of the truck & it's receiver will accommodate a bike rack. All of these are pluses.

I can't even tell mine is back there & it doesn't seen to affect the MPG!

Happy Trails
Don't forget if you are creative you could also haul a golf cart.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:42 PM   #10

Jeep Wrangler unlimited(4 door). Not the best ride but most versatile vehicle you could own in terms of “seeing stuff” most cars can’t go. Plus you get storage. We carry our bikes in the back along with inflatable kayak and SUP.
Nothing hanging off the back to get damaged.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #11

I have to second the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK. I just bought a 2014 with only 30k miles primarily as a toad. I went Blue Ox Tow Bar, Air Force One supplemental braking system, Hopkins towed vehicle wiring kit, and Hopkins (I think) charging line kit.

I am really pleased with the way the vehicle tows, and since it is a JK, it is simple to flat tow by just simply putting the transfer case in neutral.

Just my two bits, but yes, it becomes apparent really quickly that you really need an easy way to get around once you get where you are going!

Travis

PS IMO get a 4-door with room for 4 adults whatever you decide. You inevitably will end up at the same place with old or new friends, and want to go together in a single car to go shopping or eat or whatever. And if you have dogs, you can fold down the back seats, load up the dogs, and head out to do things with them.
TravisNTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:01 PM   #12

Whatever specific vehicle you get, be SURE it's flat towable. The sales person won't know or will say it is even if it isn't. The Owners Manual for the particular vehicle is the sure source of info on flat towing. Sometimes the same model with only slight option differences can determine if it is flat towable or not.

Motor Home magazine's annual towing issue used to cover this topic, but they aren't published anymore to my knowledge.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Tow Car

I’ll get flamed for sure but IMO Jeeps are overpriced,heavy , uncomfortable road cars with a lousy reliability rating from consumer reports or any rating agency . That said they are popular with a fanatic group support. Truthfully Too Many are road queens never seeing the off road they were really designed for. Had a friend who for years was a Chrysler Jeep service manager who told me to look elsewhere . He knew I wasn’t going off roading. I test drove an unlimited 4dr 6 years ago but didn’t like it on the road , where it would be 99% of the time . They are easy to tow, and if you love desert off roading and have a bunch of extra cash , a go to choice. Also in your list should be The ford escape or maverick hybrids …. great with 40 mpg. Lighter with good road manners . The equinox is also a major towable I see frequently.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I’ll get flamed for sure but IMO Jeeps are overpriced,heavy , uncomfortable road cars with a lousy reliability rating from consumer reports or any rating agency . That said they are popular with a fanatic group support. Truthfully Too Many are road queens never seeing the off road they were really designed for. Had a friend who for years was a Chrysler Jeep service manager who told me to look elsewhere . He knew I wasn’t going off roading. I test drove an unlimited 4dr 6 years ago but didn’t like it on the road , where it would be 99% of the time . They are easy to tow, and if you love desert off roading and have a bunch of extra cash , a go to choice. Also in your list should be The ford escape or maverick hybrids …. great with 40 mpg. Lighter with good road manners . The equinox is also a major towable I see frequently.
Jeep mystique. Devotees to the brand. The Jeep wave.
It's kind of cool.
I need something easy to get in and out of with all the creature comfort imaginable
2013 GMC Acadia Denali. It's even got tow/haul mode.
My last commuter car before retiring
And it's my toad.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow