Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

Towing 2015 Silverado

I have been towing a 2010 Silverado with Blue OX Tow Bar and SMI Air-force One braking system. Smooth system on the 2010.

I am looking at a 2015 Silverado and note that in order to flat tow the negative battery cable must be disconnected. The dealership has offered to install a quick disconnect on the negative battery post free of charge.

In disconnecting the battery all presets are lost and have to be reset each time.

I am wondering if anyone is doing this and how much trouble is it reset everything.

Thanks

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
And I wonder how much of that is lawyers talking rather than engineers.

Both of my Jeep Wranglers stated to remove the negative battery cable. No one removes the negative battery cable on a Jeep Wrangler to flat tow it.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Commercial Member

I assume the point of disconnecting the battery is because you have to turn the key on to release the steering wheel. Without the disconnect, the battery will discharge and you run the risk of a dead battery after towing.

Some people work around this by using a charge line from your Motorhome to the toad if it is available.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 07-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #4

According to the GM Service Bulletin it would appear that the new electric steering that started in 2013 models is the issue.

Jim
Old 07-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #5

Towing 2015 Silverado

It's because of electric steering introduced on the 2014 model year. My 2013 requires no disconnect. I saw on another forum, this service bulletin. http://community.fmca.com/index.php?...&attach_id=849
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #6

I'm flat towing a 14 Silverado that requires the battery to be disconnected due to the steering it's a few more steps than the 07 we had but I like the truck. I printed the service buliten to flat tow and walk thru the steps every time I tried to install a quick disconnect but didn't like how it fit and I didn't want to cut the cable it takes 2 seconds to use a socket and losen the terminal and pull the cable off then there is no room for error
Old 07-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the information and comments . The dealer has agreed to install a Quick Battery Disconnect to the 2015 Silverado LTZ and provide a demonstration and detailed instructions on flat towing.
I do have a copy of the GM Service Bulletin however it is confusing and lacks certain details in its presentation.
Take delivery next week.

Jim
Old 07-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJim View Post
Thanks for the information and comments . The dealer has agreed to install a Quick Battery Disconnect to the 2015 Silverado LTZ and provide a demonstration and detailed instructions on flat towing.
I do have a copy of the GM Service Bulletin however it is confusing and lacks certain details in its presentation.
Take delivery next week.

Jim
This is the type of switch I have used in the past for vehicles that needed to have the battery disconnected for one reason or another.

It's foolproof, nothing to accidentally touch, etc. Just twist the knob tight for connection and loosen it to disconnect. No need to cut cables either.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:16 AM   #9

That is a good switch but unfortunately will not fit on a chey or gm with the battery post recessed. See my post from 2 weeks ago. Works great and you don,t need to cut any cables.

Ronrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronrad View Post
That is a good switch but unfortunately will not fit on a chey or gm with the battery post recessed. See my post from 2 weeks ago. Works great and you don,t need to cut any cables.

I last had one on a Ford E450 based Class C. Worked great. I'm not familiar with the battery on a GM product, sorry.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #11

RONRAD, I looked at your photos and it looks like an ideal setup for the Negative Battery disconnect.
Could let me know where you purchased the supplies.
Thanks
Jim
Old 07-13-2015, 06:24 AM   #12

Switch for gmc Chevy

The red switch came from West Marine. The rest of the parts from any auto parts store,except the flat copper strap from one of the 3/8 terminals to mount the lead lug to. That was a piece of copper that I had.Ron rad
Old 07-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #13

I went from a 2011 silverado to a gmc 2014. The electric power steering is the main reason for a battery disconnect. I also was worried about the presets. Surprisingly I don't seem to loose them. The one time I towed for 3 days straight I did seem to loose some. I did put a battery disconnect in I got at napa. I don't like leaving the key in also. This routine takes a little more concentration than my old 2011. I have gotton used to this now. not so bad. The dealer had to call gm for the instructions for towing. They put nothing in the book.
dmsatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #14

Towing 2014-15 Silverado of sierra

I just traded my 2014 Silverado for a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali , the direction are in the new owners manual.

Tags
tow, towing