Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 7
Towing a lowered floor minivan-Need Help

I have a lowered floor minivan which provides me transportation in my wheelchair. Specifically it is a 2016 Toyota Sienna XLE. I would like to tow this vehicle behind my new motorhome, a Newmar Dutch Star 4311, which comes with a wheelchair lift built in!

The Toyota Sienna XLE measures 77 inches from the outside of the front tire to the outside of the other front tire, not including the fenders which extend a couple of inches on each side. The van conversion is a VMI North Star conversion which is the option where the side door wheelchair ramp slides underneath the interior floor of the van. This is a front wheel drive vehicle, with an automatic transmission.

Exploring options for towing this vehicle it appears that my preferred method, four wheels down, may not be an option. Iíve gotten mixed reviews about installing a transmission pump in order to protect the engine while in motion. Toyota says it will void the warranty. They claim it will damage the van, but will not say how. Towing it on a flatbed trailer causes issues with space available at campgrounds for the RV, the trailer and the vehicle. Which leaves me with using a tow dolly. Unfortunately information on towing a lowered floor minivan on a tow dolly is pretty hard to find.

What Iíd like to ask others who may have the same issue is: 1) Have you towed a lowered floor minivan four wheels down? 2) How has it worked out? 3) If not, how did you solve this problem? 4) Can you recommend specific equipment that I might use? 5) What problems have you experienced during everyday use? 6) Is there any other information you may provide which you think would be helpful?

Thank You
Rolling Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,055
Do you travel alone or with someone?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 7
Two of us-me with my able-bodied wife.
Rolling Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Algoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 3,341
This is probably not the right place to ask that question. I would ask this question in the towed vehicles forum or the handicapped travel club. We use a lift on the back of our car for the wheelchair.
__________________
John and Mary Knight
2015 Newmar Ventana 4311 - wheelchair accessible
2015 Cadillac SRX Luxury AWD
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,055
I'd be looking at a dolly that can handle the weight. Off hand I don't see a reason why that would not work. With a bit of setup it would be relatively easy to use.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Billbo's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belvidere
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Quad View Post
I have a lowered floor minivan which provides me transportation in my wheelchair. Specifically it is a 2016 Toyota Sienna XLE. I would like to tow this vehicle behind my new motorhome, a Newmar Dutch Star 4311, which comes with a wheelchair lift built in!

The Toyota Sienna XLE measures 77 inches from the outside of the front tire to the outside of the other front tire, not including the fenders which extend a couple of inches on each side. The van conversion is a VMI North Star conversion which is the option where the side door wheelchair ramp slides underneath the interior floor of the van. This is a front wheel drive vehicle, with an automatic transmission.

Exploring options for towing this vehicle it appears that my preferred method, four wheels down, may not be an option. Iíve gotten mixed reviews about installing a transmission pump in order to protect the engine while in motion. Toyota says it will void the warranty. They claim it will damage the van, but will not say how. Towing it on a flatbed trailer causes issues with space available at campgrounds for the RV, the trailer and the vehicle. Which leaves me with using a tow dolly. Unfortunately information on towing a lowered floor minivan on a tow dolly is pretty hard to find.

What Iíd like to ask others who may have the same issue is: 1) Have you towed a lowered floor minivan four wheels down? 2) How has it worked out? 3) If not, how did you solve this problem? 4) Can you recommend specific equipment that I might use? 5) What problems have you experienced during everyday use? 6) Is there any other information you may provide which you think would be helpful?

Thank You
We went through same research. We use a Landgrebe TD-40 101+2 Wide Track to pull a 2014 Braunability Toyota Sienna behind a 2004 Newmar Mountainaire.
Have for two years. Works very good for us. Easy to load and unload van from dolly. Bill and Pam
__________________
Bill Borah
2004 Mountainaire Vortec 8.1
Allison 1000 Superarm Lift for wheelchair
Billbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Thanks Billbo

Billbo is my hero. I have really been frustrated trying to find a way to tow a 2017 Toyota Sienna Braunability handicap van. The Landgrebe TD-40 101+2 Wide Track takes care of the dolly problem. Now I have to figure out the towing weight problem. I'm purchasing a 2014 Canyon Star 3911 this week with a 5000 lb towing capacity. Problem is the van weighs 5050 lbs and the tow dolly weighs 565 lbs putting the total towing weight at 5615 lbs. Anyone have any suggestions?
sfm4103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Rotten-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm4103 View Post
Billbo is my hero. I have really been frustrated trying to find a way to tow a 2017 Toyota Sienna Braunability handicap van. The Landgrebe TD-40 101+2 Wide Track takes care of the dolly problem. Now I have to figure out the towing weight problem. I'm purchasing a 2014 Canyon Star 3911 this week with a 5000 lb towing capacity. Problem is the van weighs 5050 lbs and the tow dolly weighs 565 lbs putting the total towing weight at 5615 lbs. Anyone have any suggestions?
I know I'm going to get beat up for saying this!!!!! But if it were me I wouldn't be that concerned about being over 615 lbs. These hitches don't self destruct the minute you go over the magic number of 5,000 lbs.
__________________
2008 Nash 25S
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Rojaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Monterey Bay Area, CA
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm4103 View Post
Billbo is my hero. I have really been frustrated trying to find a way to tow a 2017 Toyota Sienna Braunability handicap van. The Landgrebe TD-40 101+2 Wide Track takes care of the dolly problem. Now I have to figure out the towing weight problem. I'm purchasing a 2014 Canyon Star 3911 this week with a 5000 lb towing capacity. Problem is the van weighs 5050 lbs and the tow dolly weighs 565 lbs putting the total towing weight at 5615 lbs. Anyone have any suggestions?
I face the same dilemma as we prepare to order a CS3911. I've been looking at possible toad vehicle alternatives since I'm not a fan of dollies and the weight issues. Are you adding hand controls to the 3911?

Rolling Quad...I have a 2015 Sienns SE. I would be very concerned with flat towing due to the very low ground clearance of the van. Much worse than my 2005 Sienna. If I were getting a pusher I would consider this option.
https://www.towtower.com
Does your state require a special license to drive an over 40' rig?
__________________
'19 Canyon Star 3911, Konis, Sumos, Sway bars, TPMS
'10 Honda Element, BlueOx, RM Nighthawk, Invisibrake
Rojaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Apollo Beach & Key West , FL
Posts: 2,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
I know I'm going to get beat up for saying this!!!!! But if it were me I wouldn't be that concerned about being over 615 lbs. These hitches don't self destruct the minute you go over the magic number of 5,000 lbs.
I have to agree
__________________
2013 DS 4338
2015 F-150 toad with kayaks,bicycles and a Harley in the back
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Algoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojaco View Post
Rolling Quad...I have a 2015 Sienns SE. I would be very concerned with flat towing due to the very low ground clearance of the van. Much worse than my 2005 Sienna. If I were getting a pusher I would consider this option.
https://www.towtower.com
I would like to see what the tongue weight calculates out for the Sienna using the formula on the website.
__________________
John and Mary Knight
2015 Newmar Ventana 4311 - wheelchair accessible
2015 Cadillac SRX Luxury AWD
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:18 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Algoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
I know I'm going to get beat up for saying this!!!!! But if it were me I wouldn't be that concerned about being over 615 lbs. These hitches don't self destruct the minute you go over the magic number of 5,000 lbs.
If the coach isn't loaded up to the GVWR then you have some margin. Except, the hitch is not the only component to think about. I had a 5,000 lb rated tow bar break pulling a 3,500 lb car! Make sure you install a good braking system in the van
__________________
John and Mary Knight
2015 Newmar Ventana 4311 - wheelchair accessible
2015 Cadillac SRX Luxury AWD
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Algoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I would like to see what the tongue weight calculates out for the Sienna using the formula on the website.
I just did the calculation for a used Sienna listed for sale, and the answer was just over 2000 lbs. My Ventana could not take that.
__________________
John and Mary Knight
2015 Newmar Ventana 4311 - wheelchair accessible
2015 Cadillac SRX Luxury AWD
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Rotten-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I just did the calculation for a used Sienna listed for sale, and the answer was just over 2000 lbs. My Ventana could not take that.
That's the problem with the TowTower. It's a great idea but not practical for these MH hitchs. Even most 10,000# hitch receivers are only rated for 1,000# tongue weight. Another issue is the drive axle weight rating. If you have a single axle MH (no tag) you could easily overload the axle with that much tongue weight applied to the hitch. These long overhangs multiple the weight that's put on the hitch by the time it gets to the drive axle.
__________________
2008 Nash 25S
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
floor, need help, tow, towing



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing a lowered floor minivan-Need Help Rolling Quad Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 03-28-2018 11:24 AM
Towing minivan with an American Coach, plus other ?s DigitalEd Fleetwood Owner's Forum 7 08-20-2016 07:06 AM
Towing with '06 Kia Sedona Minivan Mikeyboy Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 20 01-27-2013 08:16 AM
I want to remove my oven/stove & install a lowered oven dsbike RV Systems & Appliances 6 02-04-2011 11:13 AM
Prepping for X-country trip...Towing minivan questions gregd Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 4 08-11-2009 03:57 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.