Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 AM   #1

Towing a toad

Hi everyone,
I'm considering towing my 2DR wrangler with my Bay Star. I am new to driving a motorhome and I'm starting to feel more confident the more I drive it. Now I'd like to consider towing with it. I have a few reservations that some of you may be able to help with. ( I'm hoping you can ).
My concerns are stopping for gas. How difficult is it to find a station that you can pull into with a tow behind your MH? Also turning in the city where streets may be narrow.
Last but least, is the Blu Ox a good system to consider for towing?
Thank you,
Halbs
halbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 08:32 AM   #2

I towed behind a 25, a 32, and now a 42. I suggest conquering the fear.
I recommend that everyone at least study the CDL manual and practice the maneuvering and turning. I am much safer for having done that
Some will come back with "I've never had a problem". If they just study the CDL manual they will say "wow, that not only makes sense but makes driving easier and safer". They can shed the fear!

When you can confidently drive in downtown traffic and make the tight corners, or pull up to a standard fuel pump, or back into a space in one shot, etc, it feels very good.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

If you go to UTube and search "BlueOx Towing" you will see a plethora of information on installing and using the BlueOx product. I have found BlueOx to be a very good product and they provide excellent customer service. It is also one of the best systems as far as appearance goes. With some brands you are left with a hodgepodge of iron when disconnected that is IMO, just plain ugly.
I use a couple of tow ball covers (1 7/8") to cover the receivers when not connected. They look great and keep the bugs etc out of the tubes.
BlueOx is a Good choice. Backing up for anything more than a couple of feet is a no no.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	128724  
Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #4

Blue Ox is a good system, Roadmaster (what I have) makes good stuff too. I have just started towing my Chevy Sonic and so far no problems towing with my Bay Star Sport. I've not had to fuel up with car in tow yet. In regards to driving, no big deal. Just remember to make wide turns, do not even think about going in reverse. Make sure you start looking for a fuel stop before you really need it and look for a station designed for large vehicles.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbs View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm considering towing my 2DR wrangler with my Bay Star. I am new to driving a motorhome and I'm starting to feel more confident the more I drive it. Now I'd like to consider towing with it. I have a few reservations that some of you may be able to help with. ( I'm hoping you can ).
My concerns are stopping for gas. How difficult is it to find a station that you can pull into with a tow behind your MH? Also turning in the city where streets may be narrow.
Last but least, is the Blu Ox a good system to consider for towing?
Thank you,
Halbs

I don't know what length and wheelbase your Bay Star is, but gas powered MH's usually have a long overhang on the rear. The tail swing of the MH will make the toad follow in just about the same path of the MH in turns. So it's not going to make a big difference turning corners.

Since your new to driving MH's one thing you need to be aware of is the rear overhang (distance from rear wheels to rear of MH). That tail swing can easily crash into something if you're to close to it when you start a turn. When you pull into a gas pump stay away from the pump far enough so if you turn quickly away from the pump the tail swing doesn't swing out and hit the pump.

Fueling will be more difficult with a toad. You just have to be careful where you pull into, because you can't back up any distance.

Blue Ox is good equipment, but so is Roadmaster. I've got over 100,000 miles on my Roadmaster bar and it's still going strong.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:44 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Halls - I towed at Wrangler for several years. Its the most popular toad for sure -- you see them all the time.

As to fueling. You cannot back up with a toad attached, so you have to be very, very careful where you pull in for fuel, or anything else for that matter. The first three or four times we tried to pull into a gas station we ended up having to disconnect the toad and back up when we could not negotiate a clean exit from the fuel pumps. Before you pull in anywhere with a toad carefully scout out your exit path! Better still, do what we do. Pull into a Truck Stop where you are assured of a clean exit.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With a gas coach, when fueling you have to be aware of the overall increase in length. Not good to be blocking travel lands and such. I plan ahead for my long trips and usually hit Flying J's that have the RV fill up lanes. If not I'll use satellite and street views to get a look at what I might be dealing with. If necessary disconnecting the toad is simple. Takes a minute to disconnect and two to reconnect. I have disconnected the toad and use it as a guide to get to a lane.

City driving won't be a problem. Just a bit more diligence with lane changes to ensure the toad is clear. Consider adjusting the look area of your rear camera to see further down the road so you'll know when the lane is clear behind the toad. Plan a head so you are in the correct lane for where you want to go. Missing a turn because you couldn't get over isn't going to end the trip.

Don't worry about turns. The coach is 9' wide and the toad is considerably smaller. If the coach makes the turn without inadvertently contacting something so will the toad. The toad will not cut the corner of a turn as trailer might. Just don't back up. Jeep products do not like backing up when a tow bar is attached and will let you know it's displeasure very quickly when attempting such.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #8

There was a long discussion about backing with a toad some time ago here, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/saw-d...up-286217.html There are those who don't and those who do, but for me it is only for a short distance (up to 30' or so), and straight back with another person holding the toad steering wheel. There will be times when either backing or disconnecting are the only options and it will be your choice. If you think you may choose to back it would be good to practice with someone watching. For the most part backing or disconnecting can be eliminated by planning ahead, but there will be times.

You have a lot of good information, but I am with those who suggest that it would be a good idea to find a large empty lot, or another suitable place, and practice until you feel comfortable.

Also, IMHO, a backup camera or some other way to keep an eye on the toad are necessary.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
There was a long discussion about backing with a toad some time ago here, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/saw-d...up-286217.html There are those who don't and those who do, but for me it is only for a short distance (up to 30' or so), and straight back with another person holding the toad steering wheel. There will be times when either backing or disconnecting are the only options and it will be your choice. If you think you may choose to back it would be good to practice with someone watching. For the most part backing or disconnecting can be eliminated by planning ahead, but there will be times.

You have a lot of good information, but I am with those who suggest that it would be a good idea to find a large empty lot, or another suitable place, and practice until you feel comfortable.

Also, IMHO, a backup camera or some other way to keep an eye on the toad are necessary.

Just my 2c.

Steve

Well said Steve,
Old 05-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
One quick and easy way to gain confidence when changing lanes with a toad to know when you have enoug clearance is to park with the toad straight just like it would be driving down the road. Then have your co-pilot walk rearward while you monitor your back-up camera. Have them place a marker where they are just out of view in the backup cam. Then when you're driving you will be confident when the car you are passing is out of view in the backup cam you'll know how far back from the end of the toad they are.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Oh, and another thing to watch for and it happens to everyone. After a while you will get used to glancing at the rear monitor to reassure yourself that your toad is still there. Then at some point you will use your turn signal to make a turn or merge or whatever and the system will switch to one of the side-mounted cameras. You will glance at the monitor out of habit and no longer see the toad and for a moment you will freak out!
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We towed a '95 Honda Odyssey on a dolly (with surge brakes) behind our '97 Type C MH, then behind a '98 35' Santara gas, then a 38' 2000 Dutch Star, then a 40' 2002 Dutch Star. Then went to towing the '05 Ody, first on a Kar Kaddy 460, then four down behind the 40' Dutch Star and now behind the 45'Magna.
Stopping for fuel had never been much of a problem. Just watch you clearances and be sure of the exit.
Just like you gaining confidence with the Bay Star, you'll gain confidence towing the towed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
I agree with others that suggested a vacant parking lot or the outer parking areas of a mall to practice and get used to towing the toad.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Archer - 3 years on, and I still get startled every darned time I have my turn signal on and can't see my toad!!! I thought I was the only one.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, towing, tow