Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2017, 05:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Towing and NCC

Ok, I will be towing a 5,000lb Jeep GC. The motor homes I am looking are a 34 or 37 Ventana or a New Aire. The Specs are all about the same with a NCC rating of around 7500lbs. What effect does the toad have on the NCC rating?
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2017, 05:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneil7163 View Post
Ok, I will be towing a 5,000lb Jeep GC. The motor homes I am looking are a 34 or 37 Ventana or a New Aire. The Specs are all about the same with a NCC rating of around 7500lbs. What effect does the toad have on the NCC rating?
if you are towing 4 down, nothing....

if you are using a dolly or trailer, subtract tongue weight from NCC....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:03 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

NCC (net carrying capacity)

The maximum weight of all occupants including the driver, food, tools, LP gas, fresh water, personal belongings, dealer-installed accessories, and the tongue weight of the towed vehicle that can be carried by this motorhome. (NCC can be determined by subtracting the UVW from the GVWR.)
It's important to look at the definition of each term, particularly the UVW and NCC. Note that UVW is defined as leaving the factory with full fuel, oil and coolants. The NCC represents how much "stuff," including fresh water, the motorhome can carry.
The UVW does not include the weight of any dealer-installed accessories, which means the buyer must deduct the weight of these accessories from the NCC.
Keep in mind that NCC is the total carrying capacity. However, the distribution of the weight plays a role. So, it may not be possible to load a motorhome to its NCC without exceeding an axle or tire rating.

Weighing your motorhome by individual wheel position after you have loaded it is the only way to be certain that you are not exceeding any limitations.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
if you are towing 4 down, nothing....

if you are using a dolly or trailer, subtract tongue weight from NCC....
Not quite. If you tow 4 down, the weight of the tow bar, etc. must be deducted from the NCC of the motorhome. My tow bar setup weighs about 50 pounds. This is hitch weight that must be deducted from NCC.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzee2020 View Post
Not quite. If you tow 4 down, the weight of the tow bar, etc. must be deducted from the NCC of the motorhome. My tow bar setup weighs about 50 pounds. This is hitch weight that must be deducted from NCC.
ok....you subtract your 50 pounds....

me.....i'll call it a rounding error.....

willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzee2020 View Post
Even if that was the case, you wouldn't subtract the entire weight from the CCC. That tow bar is supported on both ends so the hitch would only see about half the weight. 25 lbs is negligible. Subtracting it won't hurt anything but not accounting for that weight won't either. I promise, the hitch rating, the GVWR, etc. all have generous factors of safety that far exceed 25 lbs.

Generally, only the tongue weight needs to be subtracted from the CCC. The weight of the vehicle itself does not. If you have a situation like we will where the difference between the GVWR and GCWR is less than the tow rating, you can only tow that difference. For example:

26000 GCWR minus 22000 GVWR equals 4000 lbs

Hitch and chassis to two rating equals 5000 lbs.

You can only tow 4000 lbs...unless you have not loaded the coach up the the GVWR of 22000 lbs. Any left over CCC you have can be "borrowed" for towing up to the 5000 lb max. So, you could tow a 4800 lbs vehicle if your coach weights 21,200 lbs (actual weight). Just never exceed the GVWR, the GCWR, the hitch rating or the tongue weight rating.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing