RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #1

Towing System

We finally purchased our coach (2020 King Aire 4553). My question is considering our bus, what is the best towing system for us? We are thinking blue ox / air force one, but are there better options? I understand the 2020 KA has a built in electric brake system, is there a better solution in for brake system?

We are buying a 2020 Jeep for a toad as this seems to be a popular option.

Thanks in advance!!
aguyintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #2

Jon,
I've had the Blue Ox/Air Force One set-up for 5 years. No problems at all and would get the same set-up in a heartbeat. Once installed, the hitch and un-hitching process is very easy. I'm sure others will chime in on their respective set-ups which are good set-ups as well. I can highly recommend the Blue Ox/Air Force One set-up based on my experience.

Allen
wam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We currently have the Blue Ox but if we bought today we would buy the Road Master with the built in cable management. We use the Blue Ox patriot braking systems but we have several different toads and we trade often but the Air Force one is a great option.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
JMO.....Take a good look at the Roadmaster Tow bars with the built in safety cable channel. Look at the levers and notice that Roadmaster doesn't use rubber boots on the shafts, which eventually rot, break and are always dirty to deal with. The Roadmaster products are usually a little more expensive than Blue Ox. I've always found the Roadmaster to be a better product and with less complaints of broken parts.

I use the 10K Rodmaster Falcon Tow bar with the Air Force One brake system. Your King Aire should already have the air connection installed, making for an easy installation. Of the AF1.

The only other brake system that I would consider is M&G system, which adds a unit to the brake booster. I selected the AF1 over the M&G years ago, because the vehicle I wanted to tow, there wasn't room for the M&G system. It also requires you to buy a new unit, every time you change toads. M&G is now making something similar to the unit used by AF1.

My statements may ruffle some feathers of Blue Ox owners and M&G users, but it's just my opinion and experience with both products.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Did the research not long ago and went with the Blue Ox Aventa - aluminum (6500lbs and a little lighter weight. Builds in additional capacity for the Wrangler 4200 lbs). Using the BO Patriot II brake system, but if you have air brakes, I've heard nothing but positive reviews for the Air Force One. Also, nothing but positive reviews for the Roadmaster tow bars as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. Just build in some capacity on the tow bar rating that you choose to go with.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Also take a look at the Demco Excalibar II which also has built in safety cable retention. If you do research on the M&G they have their 2.0 system which is similar to the AF1. There is not enough room in your 2020 JL to use the original M&G brake booster cylinder.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Electric Brake controller would be used pulling a trailer equipped with electric or electric over hydraulic brakes. Trailers that operate submersed, like boat trailers most often use surge brakes...which are built-in to the trailer tongue.

For a toad...you can’t beat the AF-1. If you have a Spartan Chassis...the coach side is pre-installed. You need a special air line that has the correct size air quick connect for the coach side...to go to the toad quick connect air fitting.

AF-1 has some great features.

You don’t have to remove and store anything other than the air line umbilical.
The system has a built-in accumulator for applying the toads brakes if a break away were to occur.
The system has a Venturi inside which creates a vacuum...this tee’s into the brake booster vacuum line of your vehicle. You’re not just getting a cool little cylinder that mashes the brake pedal...yeah that is the main part of the equation...but when it depresses the brake pedal...you are getting power brakes...in a proportional manner from the signal line coming from your coaches brake pedal.

Honestly, I can’t think of a better system. We have been super happy with ours.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Jon --

Congrats on the purchase of a King Aire and welcome to the Newmar family !! The King Aire will give many years of enjoyments for you and your family!

For my Jeep Wrangler, I use the Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain tow bar with the "Direct Connect" base plate (simpler to use than the "Cross Bar" base plate). The Air Force One and other similar type supplemental braking systems other forum members mentioned are great systems however the "Refinery Operations Manager" in me didn't want to add additional connections to my motorhome's air system where a leak could occur.

So, I opted for the Roadmaster Invisibrake supplemental braking system for my Jeep. The Invisibrake has performed well with zero problems.

Hope this info help!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #9

We use the RVI braking system and it works great. We have two toads.....Wrangler JL Unlimited and F150. Easy to swap between them.
dcrna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
So, my towbar is over 15 years old. I do regular maintenance such as inspection, OOO steel wooling and siliconing the SS arms, cleaning and painting what little rust Iíve found and just making sure all joints are firmly tightened.
My towbar? Roadmaster Blackhawk. Iíve used it on 5 different DPís and will certainly buy another when the time comes.
I also use AF-1 and absolutely love it, having moved from a Brake Buddy Vantage that I used for years.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #11

As others have said, there is more than one good option out there.
I have the 10K Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar and the M&G braking system. This was the recommendation of an independent RV repair shop that I highly recommend in Oklahoma City.
After 18 months of ownership of the tow bar, I was at Quartzsite last January.
I removed the tow bar and took it to the Roadmaster booth. They took it apart, cleaned, inspected and replaced all bushings and seals at no charge. I was impressed with their after the sale service.
If you have the room to use the M&G system that mounts to your master cylinder, I highly recommend it. Nothing to do inside your vehicle when connecting or disconnecting. If you do have a break-away, your toad brakes with be applied. My toad is a 2018 Ram 1500 pickup.
Safe travels.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies! Is there wisdom in getting a heavier than needed tow bar. We also have an F150 and think the option of either vehicle might be nice. We are grateful for the wisdom/experience shared here. We canít wait to become contributors 😊
Old 09-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
I like overkill when it comes to safety and peace of mind. It makes no sense to buy a minimum bar to save weight or money. Your KA can handle the weight and price is immaterial with 5400 pounds of Ford in back of you.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Jon --

Congrats on the purchase of a King Aire and welcome to the Newmar family !! The King Aire will give many years of enjoyments for you and your family!

For my Jeep Wrangler, I use the Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain tow bar with the "Direct Connect" base plate (simpler to use than the "Cross Bar" base plate). The Air Force One and other similar type supplemental braking systems other forum members mentioned are great systems however the "Refinery Operations Manager" in me didn't want to add additional connections to my motorhome's air system where a leak could occur.

So, I opted for the Roadmaster Invisibrake supplemental braking system for my Jeep. The Invisibrake has performed well with zero problems.

Hope this info help!
I see you are a fellow Texan. Can you recommend any quality installers in Houston for the brake system on the toad?

Thanks in advance

Tags
tow, towing