Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

Toy Hauler for Dogs

Hi Folks, perhaps someone with a Canyon Star Toy Hauler could lend some advice. I thought about an Outlaw but it does not offer the options or support of Newmar. I have 2 German Shepherds and 2 cats, and want to put a Smart car in the garage. Would it fit with a single washer/dryer combo unit, perhaps mounted in place of the cabinet? At first I wanted to tow a Honda Fit, but not being able to back up scares me. I would like to use a 5' galvanized trough as a tub, add a sprayer and drain it, how I'm not sure yet. It can be stored on the roof rack of the Smart Car. The dogs swim daily and get muddy so the garage and washer are necessary. A Fifth Wheel may provide everything I am looking for, but a widow at 61 is probably not a candidate for that venture. I also am wondering if the bed frame could be shortened for more walkway. I'm 5'2" and don't need such a long mattress, and I know the dogs will just run over the bed if there is not enough room. An electric fireplace would be nice in the the pantry next to the table, has anyone done this? A computer deck/ table or table that recedes into a buffet would give more space than the booth, is one better than the other? I was thinking of a loft in the garage for the cats, any ideas? My goal is to dry camp for economy and the dogs as I hear may places refuse German Shepherds. Winter camping in the snow would be on my list, as well as warm places the Alaskan dogs would not be acclimatized to. So.... I would love to hear from anyone with advice or an opinion. I have never had any type of RV, but want to retire to this lifestyle. Thanks for taking the time to read this and perhaps comment.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #2

canyon star

Laine,

We looked at the canyon star as a possiblity for us in the last few months, and also looked at a toyhauler fifth wheel. We ended up with another Dutch Star. Two primary reasons for us. We travel with about 10-12 dogs primarily to dog shows and thought the toy hauler part would be great, but the space it took from the living area ended up being too great of sacrifice. Second reason is we really wanted a diesel pusher and only the All Star (which I don't believe is made anymore) was a DP and toyhauler. Folks that have them seem to love them but we could not find one available to even look at. We ended up getting the DSDP, taking out the buffet with the slide table and putting in our crates along the wall for all the dogs. With the bathroom seperating us from the living area, it provides a pretty good sound barrier from the dogs at night. The only real down side is the dogs have to enter and exit through the living area so we are taking out the carpet and putting in some kind of vinyl product (several have been identified by posters here). We have never liked the dinette arrangement, but that is just our preference. Can't speak to a fire place. We saw one in the Fifth wheel we were looking at. It was pretty but did not seem practical over the long run (just something else that could/would break eventually).

Good luck with your search. We love our DS. Second one. Newmars are well respected and still in business so support seems to be there.

Dan
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

I believe you will find hooking up a tow car is easier than loading a car in the garage and towing a car is as easy as towing no car. In addition you will lose all the great living space in the garage.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
Here is a recent thread about the mid engine toy haulers, the links show that people have been trading and they are becoming plentiful which was not the case years back.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #5

Thanks for your comments, it's difficult to find the right setup with pets. Lately I have actually considered a fifth wheel, Fusion 342. It has a 12' garage for the dogs, a loft for the cats, and a fireplace with an eye level TV over it for me. I just wish it had a rear bathroom with a tub next to the garage like the Fusion 300 Travel Trailer. That would be perfect for washing wet muddy dogs.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #6

Laine,

Keep looking, you will find something that will meet your needs. There are always compromises. More space for dogs = less space for people, etc. There are fivers that have water in the garage that you can set up as a tub for the dogs. We looked at a couple that had that as an option. Issue is where the water goes, i.e. gray water tank connection from that end of the unit.

Enjoy the search. It is always one of the most fun parts of the journey.

Dan
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
Laine,

There are fivers that have water in the garage that you can set up as a tub for the dogs. We looked at a couple that had that as an option. Issue is where the water goes, i.e. gray water tank connection from that end of the unit.

Dan
Easy fix we had Newmar provide power and water to our garage for our W/D. They said no way to get to grey tank-easy we drilled thru garage floor and piped out to a hose that connects into our standard drain hose!

No reason to put water into the grey tank!!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #8

Thanks for the input. I was planning on using a small pump, with the hose going to the washer drain. Also I would like to remove the bed and replace it with a computer table. I think the headboard frame could support some office supply cubbies after the padding was removed.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Laine,

Are you planning to boondock? If so, your power and water useage are going to be an issue, a big issue from what you describe. And you probably need shore power to run a fireplace heater. RV parks will be a challenge with several pets. I spend most of the year parked on property owned by friends and family where power and water are available.

I tow a Smart car and just avoid going where I would need to back up. At 8'8" long it would fit, but 1840 pounds is a lot of weight to carry. Plus towing it gives you a little extra storage -- sort of a mini trailer.

There are solutions, but it will take extra planning and some compromise. I am a retired, single 61 year old female with high needs pets also. The last 17 months as a fulltime RVer have been wonderful.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Class"A" toyhauler is PERFECT for doggies. Our Saint Bernards Love our Outlaw:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1010111752.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	850.6 KB
ID:	28038

And, we just added a fireplace. It looks good and will provide light and heat for this winter.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1021121435.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	28039
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #11

That is awesome to have the fireplace. I looked at the Outlaw 2012 but the only place to put a fireplace was next to the couch on the outside bathroom wall, which curves and has a thermostat. What model fireplace did you install? Have you considered a patio railing kit for the deck? That was another thing not offered that I really wanted. Have you had any problem with camp grounds refusing the dogs because of size or breed?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
That is awesome to have the fireplace. I looked at the Outlaw 2012 but the only place to put a fireplace was next to the couch on the outside bathroom wall, which curves and has a thermostat. What model fireplace did you install? Have you considered a patio railing kit for the deck? That was another thing not offered that I really wanted. Have you had any problem with camp grounds refusing the dogs because of size or breed?
The fireplace is a 35" Febo sold at different stores like Sams Club. I have never used the ramp as a deck, and would need legs or cables to make that work, but a railing is a very good idea.

I have never had any problem at camp grounds because the pups are Saint Bernards...I have heard of limits at "pet friendly" motels, but not at any campgrounds...but I'm sure there are doggie bigots out there. Too bad really because small dogs are usually louder than our Saints and we ALWAYS pick up after our babies, because everyone will know who left that sized pile when nature calls:-)
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
CBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
At 8'8" long it would fit, but 1840 pounds is a lot of weight to carry.
Newmar says the 3920 is rated for 1500 pounds in the garage, another consideration.
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote