Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2022, 07:19 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to victhedude44
TPMS

Does anyone know if it is possible to monitor the TPMS of the toad 2021 F150 King Ranch in the same system as the TPMS that comes on the 2023 Dutch Star 4081 ? If so where do I go for instructions?
victhedude44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2022, 08:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is my understanding that you can. Contact Valor, they are the manufacture of the on board TPMS. You will need to purchase 4 sensors and have them mounted on your truck wheels. Then your dealer, or chassis builder, will need to program
the system to recognize the truck.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I just got mine hooked up. I have a 2022 on Freightliner - it is Valor Gen 3. You need to find out which system they are putting in the 2023 FL or Spartan. Spartan stayed with Gen 1 for 2022 but I have heard they are moving to Gen 3 in 2023.

You purchase the sensors from Valor. Then you take your toad to a tire shop since the sensors are strapped to the center of wheels and are large requiring balance after the tire is reinstalled.

The Valor Gen 3 can only be programmed at a Freightliner Service Center. It requires plugging a laptop into the dash. I was fortunate to have the Coach at North Trail for warranty and maintenance. They are a freightliner service center and have the laptop. During programming we had the toad in position behind the coach. They can manually type in the cold pressure during programming.

Here is a tip. Each sensor has a serial number that is printed on a sticker. The tire shop should put the sticker on the rim after installing the sensor. Make sure they so this - you need to know which sensor is on which tire. As soon as you pick up the toad write down all the serial numbers for your records. During programming the tech manually types the serial numbers into the lap top to the corresponding tire location. They DO NOT have any wireless tool to read the sensor and get this number after it is installed. If the stickers are gone you have to take the tires back off to get the number.

The tech recommended I take a picture of his screen so I now have a record of all the tire sensors including the coach.

We are 1,000 miles into the trip and it is working perfectly. No alarms. I have checked it a few times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valor Tire Sensors.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	371746  
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:56 PM   #4

Valor Gen 3 Toad Programmed

Big thanks to RVStitchy for his post on programming the toad TPMS Gen 3 system on Freightliner. Our dealer had not done it before and showing him a printout with the photo helped get it done. One key tip when entering the sensor IDs for the trailer/toad. The display allows for dual wheels but you need to put the sensor ID in the outside wheel box. If you put it on the inside wheel it won't show up in the display. You then need to tow the toad around the block to get it to register on the display.

Still have a couple of issues to resolve.
1. The toad tire pressure is supposed to be 30psi. We set that as the baseline. Because the tires were hot, they were reading 35psi. The Valor system was showing an alarm at 35psi so we moved the baseline up to 35psi and it got rid of the alarm. Is this how it is supposed to work?
2. I still have two coach sensors that are not working and sending alarms. When they are doing that you can't scroll down to see the toad. So on hold until the sensors arrive at the dealer.
Frank94062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Your welcome - happy to contribute to the forum.

I was told the Valor is preprogrammed to alarm at 20% over the baseline. So 30 psi should not alarm until 36 psi. I do recall the day I set this up at North Trail and was ready to leave I got an alarm for one of the toad tires. I don't recall the alarm condition. The tech jumped back in - plugged the laptop in and checked all the settings. Everything looked good and the alarm went away. Maybe there is a bug the first time it is set?

I now have 2,200 miles of towing with Valor on the toad and not one single alarm. I do check from time to time and they are reading 40-42 PSI warm. Interesting to see the tires on the passenger side are usually 1 psi higher than driver side - those tires are in line with the Coach exhaust.

My toad tires are suppose to be 36 cold. I had him program 36 steer and 38 drive. I often carry a golf cart in the bed of the truck that near the max payload. I add 2 psi to the rears tires when towing with golf cart just for safe measures. Probably doesn't matter but it makes me feel proactive.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by victhedude44 View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to monitor the TPMS of the toad 2021 F150 King Ranch in the same system as the TPMS that comes on the 2023 Dutch Star 4081 ? If so where do I go for instructions?
There are a couple of ways to interpret your question here, so I’ll go the route less traveled.

Your coach’s Valor system cannot read the TPMS that is organic to your F150.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:42 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank94062 View Post
One key tip when entering the sensor IDs for the trailer/toad. The display allows for dual wheels but you need to put the sensor ID in the outside wheel box. If you put it on the inside wheel it won't show up in the display. You then need to tow the toad around the block to get it to register on the display.
Frank, are you saying here that you needed to drive around to get the sensors to show up when programmed on the outer tires or only on the inner tires? I did not have to drive around - they showed up immediately. However, I am helping someone else on the Dutch Star Facebook page that said the dealer could not get the tires to show up. Wonder if I should advise him to drive around the block.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:52 PM   #8

Valor Gen 3

RVStitchy,
When we first programmed it, nothing would display. Freightliner tech support told us that we had to drive around the block to get the sensors to read. We did that and then it started working. It also helped that each time we made a change we shut the coach off so that it would reset the system.

You will also notice that in the photo you posted there are two boxes for the sensor ID on each axle. In your case you put the ID in outside box. My tech didn't notice this and first tried it on the inside box and it wouldn't work. We erased it from the inside box and put the id in the outside box and it worked.
Frank94062 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms