Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2021, 09:20 AM   #1

TPMS Problems 2021 Dutch Star - Pass The Buck

So using the Michelin tire guide and weight of our front axle we have 115 psi in our front tires. (This should actually be closer to 120 psi). After driving a short time our TPMS alarm goes off as the tires heat up and pressure go's past the 124 psi TPMS setpoint. So to keep the alarm happy I have to drop air pressure to 104 or less.

I contacted Newmar service and was told that this in not their equipment as it's part of the Spartan chassis equipment and I would need to contact them. Mike at Spartan was quick to tell me that this is not their issue and I would have to find a Spartan dealer that owns the Valor equipment to change the TPMS setpoints. This would be at my expense.

So I can live with the alarm or run the tires significantly under pressure. Or just pay the price for the Valor system adjustments.

I would guess that since Winnebego bought Newmar, they must have had classes on how to Pass the Buck.

it's not jut the cost that concerns me, It's the fact that I'm on my own here...

I guess I'm getting cranky in my old age....

John Staber
2021 Newmar Dustch Star 4369
Jgraydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2021, 11:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Running the tires with less than required pressure is not a smart option, not an option at all on my rig. Fix the problem. If you want TPMS, and you should have it, get it fixed, regardless of the cost. Rather poor design that the user cannot set his own limits, imho.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Jgraydon;5694774]
I would guess that since Winnebego bought Newmar, they must have had classes on how to Pass the Buck.
John Staber

Fill your tires to the posted cold inflation pressure and don't worry. On cold mornings my tires will be below the recommended pressure and when they heat up during the day they will exceed the pressure by quite a bit. That's normal. Sometimes by even ten percent on a hot day.

Just watch for tires that are much hotter than the others.

BTW, the tires on the sunny side will get warmer as well as tires by the exhaust.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgraydon View Post
Mike at Spartan was quick to tell me that this is not their issue and I would have to find a Spartan dealer that owns the Valor equipment to change the TPMS setpoints. This would be at my expense.

So I can live with the alarm or run the tires significantly under pressure. Or just pay the price for the Valor system adjustments.

Your coach is fairly new and I would think the dealer who set it up should correct the tire pressure alarm settings for you. That would not be Newmar or Spartan.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:16 PM   #5

Quote:
So using the Michelin tire guide and weight of our front axle we have 115 psi in our front tires. (This should actually be closer to 120 psi). After driving a short time our TPMS alarm goes off as the tires heat up and pressure go's past the 124 psi TPMS setpoint. So to keep the alarm happy I have to drop air pressure to 104 or less.

I contacted Newmar service and was told that this in not their equipment as it's part of the Spartan chassis equipment and I would need to contact them. Mike at Spartan was quick to tell me that this is not their issue and I would have to find a Spartan dealer that owns the Valor equipment to change the TPMS setpoints. This would be at my expense.

it's not jut the cost that concerns me, It's the fact that I'm on my own here...

John Staber
John am not sure why a Spartan Dealer would not have this tool. I had my adjusted twice, first time Valor sent me the tool and Don Rigby ( Valor Rep ) walked me thru it. The second time Freightliner did it at the Gaffney plant. The high/low pressure set points are set to within 12% of what you keep your tires at. If you set your tires to 100 psi the high pressure alarm would go off around 112 psi and your low pressure around 88 psi. I would not reduce my tire pressure for the sack of not having the alarm go off. I don't have Don Rigby contact information but I can tell you he couldn't have been nicer to work with. Hope this helps.
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:43 PM   #6

I agree it's a pretty poor TPMS system if it does not allow the user to adjust. The RV industry has always been a finger pointer not taking much responsibility for something they build into their product but don't directly make, so I highly doubt Winnebago's purchase of Newmar had anything to do with Newmar passing the buck. After all, Spartan passed the buck too and they aren't owned by Winnebago, who is now the scapegoat every time Newmar does something wrong. Newmar has always had it's own issues too.

I would NEVER reduce the air pressure to an unsafe level. I wonder if the individual at Spartan knew what he was talking about as a pre-set system sounds surprising, though not unbelievable. Is there user information in any of your user guides/specs documents to confirm there is nothing you can do with the presets?

My TPMS (not what you have) gives a 20% increase limit off the base I set. I was running my rear drives and tags at 100 lbs even though my Goodyear tire guide would let me drop it to 85. I dropped them to 90 but then even with a 20% increase limit my TPMS was going off for pressure going up more than 20% in warm ambient conditions at just the limit when at 100 lbs it never came up to the pressure limit even in very hot weather. They also ran hotter at the lower pressure. That told me that even though my tire guide said I COULD go lower than 100 lbs, my conclusion was that it was not a good thing to do as heat is the enemy to tires and the temperature the tires were running at when set to 90 lbs cold was higher than if I ran them at 100 lbs. If anything, I'd rather be reasonably over the recommendation (but still at or under the lesser of the tire and/or rim max pressure cold.

Good luck.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:09 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
This is the problem with many built-in systems; they are not as user friendly as well-designed after-market systems. With our EezTire TPMS, changing the set-points is a 60-second job and doesn’t require any special tools.

I suspect part of the problem with built-in systems is liability. The corporate lawyers are likely afraid that if they let end users make adjustments that deviate from factory parameters and anything happens, the corporation will be sued. So, they set tire pressures at the maximum despite the needless hard ride it creates.

If I had one of those built-in systems, I would find a way to disable it and go with a top-quality aftermarket unit that I could set up myself.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Make an appointment with the dealer and tell them to FIX it. It's under warranty and isn't working properly.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #9

I am going through a very similar issue. I took a slightly different route when I wanted to get my set points changed. I called my dealer, who is ok as far as dealers go and asked what it would take to change my set points. They explained that they would change it for me one time at no charge as a courtesy but after that it would be $75 to $125 depending on how many sensors I needed updated. I asked why so much and the service guy explained you need a special tool, (see my other post on Valor SmartTool), and it took about 30 minutes or so. After thinking about it, I realized I am going to need to change my set points more then once as I have two different TOADS to pull which affects my load on the rear tires. So thanks to the brain trust of this site I procured the “special” tool to allow me to do so. Turns out it is a little intimidating the first time but once you understand how to program the tool and transmit the setting it is all of about 5 minutes per tire. The hardest part is climbing down under the rear drive axle to get access to the sensor mounted inside the tire. So in my humble opinion, the $250 for the tool is well spent and if you are a DYI type of owner something you might want to consider. You can get them from Spartan, (they quoted me $450) or get them straight from Valor. If you PM me I will happily send you the sales rep’s name and contact info. As mentioned in an earlier post, he is a great guy and very helpful.
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

John Staber
I'm getting ready to tackle that problem next month so thank you for your post. How about the sensors for your towed? Was it easy to get those tires programmed into the system?
Thanks
Bill Bélanger
BBelanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:54 PM   #11

I don’t know if this helps but my TPMS is in my infotainment unit by Xcite.
When I bought my Horizon new, there were two bad sensors. Called Xcite and they sent me two new ones. No questions.
As to the tire pressures, I weighed my RV and adjusted to Michelin's chart.
Chart says 100, but I use 105 all around.
Also, Xcite unit can be changed so you can set the alarm to 25% above or below your pressure.
Hope this helps.

FYI, the TPMS gives me anxiety when I drive I 90 in South Dakota and it’s 95f outside. Those darn tires get hot and the pressure get close to 135. If you didn’t have that screen you never would know they were that hot or the pressures went up that high.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #12

Call Don Rigby 734 634 3278
john97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by john97 View Post
Call Don Rigby 734 634 3278
Who is Don Rigby John?
What company does he represent?
Thanks

Bill Bélanger
BBelanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #14

The valor system is a complete piece of crap. Mine didnt work for the first 6 months. Many trips to the dealer so they could throw parts at it. 5 attempts later it works sometimes.

I have always run the TST system and this coach is no different. Tpms have been around for ever. Not sure why they decided to try an old out dated system on a new coach. Hell a 20k Kia has a better system. Total junk.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, ems, problem, problems, tpms