Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trace inverter/charger question

I just wired up shore power for my new to me 2002 DSDP 4097 on a spartan chassis. It's equipped with a Trace RV2012M.

I verified my 50A shore power. I plugged the Progressive surge protector in and it verified correct wiring and voltages. Connected the coach shore power cord and went inside to look at the Trace remote panel, it showed bulk charging and 15 volts as charge current, isn't that too high? Also it appeared to be showing an over temp warning immediately upon activation.

I know absolutely nothing about how this system should be working. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

After seeing what I saw and thought to be abnormal, I shut off the shore power.
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 04:31 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Is this any help?

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...-01_Rev-A).pdf

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electrical/RC7_owners.pdf

You say "15 volts as charge current". Volts and Current are different. Did you mean 15 amps as charge current? Or did you mean that the voltage of the batteries while charging was 15.0 volts?

Check all your configuration settings including battery type, try lowering the maximum charge rate, etc. Is the battery temperature sensor mounted on a ground terminal?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #3

Trace inverter/charger question

Could what I interpet as an over temp warning actually be showing me a 45 amp charge rate?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your shore power cord should be working through your transfer switch.
The inverter /converter will be wired from load center maybe 30 amp circuit breaker 120V wiring not 50amp power cord.
Look at page 2-2 of the link supplied by Kiawah you better remove your wiring before you lose everything.
You have 50 amps going through a 20 or 30 amp circuit bound to heat up and register high readings.
If your not familiar with electrical wiring get a Mobil Tech recommended by Newmar.
Duct Tape will not fix this problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Your shore power cord should be working through your transfer switch.
The inverter /converter will be wired from load center maybe 30 amp circuit breaker 120V wiring not 50amp power cord.
Look at page 2-2 of the link supplied by Kiawah you better remove your wiring before you lose everything.
If your not familiar with electrical wiring get a Mobil Tech recommended by Newmar.
When I said "I wired up shore power" I was referring to my having just installed a power pedestal from my garage sub-panel. The coach cord was already there.

The coach shore power cord is wired into the last bay on the drivers side, while my inverter/charger is in the bay next to the battery bay on the passenger side. Would I be correct in assuming that the coach shore power cord is wired into the transfer switch?

I did shut down the shore power when I saw the bulk charge indicating 15V.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK understand the 50 amp power supply now from house and its wire as described in link, RV HOUSE WIRING OUTLET, in this link other links also discribe wiring for inverters and TS switches.
If this is a new inverter the old may already had supply from the load center.
The 2-2 diagram should help with your wiring needed for your system.
The TS switch will have the shore power cord, feeds from GEN and feeds to the Load Center within it.
Thinking back on bulk of 15v could be the batteries are low in charge and the 15 should drop as they charge up to normal levels, 13.5 & 14.5 are what I have seen off my charging converter with meter.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #7

I have a 2003 that had the same setup. If the pedestal is wired correctly and you say the Surge Guard verified the connection then I have these comments. The red LED lit up at 45/overtemp is showing a 45 amp bulk charge. (The left side column of LEDs shows the discharge rate when inverting.) If the batteries are depleted this could show up to 90 amps or a little more. On mine the temp sensor was stuck to the side of a battery with double sided tape. Depending on the battery type 15v may be correct though most often it is around 14-14.5 at bulk charge. If you are using the meter on the RC6 panel it does some rounding so you might push the battery voltage check switch in the panel that allows you to disconnect the batteries.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3889218]OK understand the 50 amp power supply now from house and its wire as described in link, RV HOUSE WIRING OUTLET, in [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/technical-info-links-28855.html
this link[/URL][/B] other links also discribe wiring for inverters and TS switches.
I followed directions found in both links to verify correct wiring and it passed all voltage checks described in the article.

If this is a new inverter the old may already had supply from the load center.
The 2-2 diagram should help with your wiring needed for your system.
The TS switch will have the shore power cord, feeds from GEN and feeds to the Load Center within it.
This is the original inverter installed by Newmar when the MH was built. I have the paperwork.
Thinking back on bulk of 15v could be the batteries are low in charge and the 15 should drop as they charge up to normal levels, 13.5 & 14.5 are what I have seen off my charging converter with meter.
The house batteries are 4 6V Golf cart batteries.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDave View Post
I have a 2003 that had the same setup. If the pedestal is wired correctly and you say the Surge Guard verified the connection then I have these comments. The red LED lit up at 45/overtemp is showing a 45 amp bulk charge. (The left side column of LEDs shows the discharge rate when inverting.) If the batteries are depleted this could show up to 90 amps or a little more. On mine the temp sensor was stuck to the side of a battery with double sided tape. Depending on the battery type 15v may be correct though most often it is around 14-14.5 at bulk charge. If you are using the meter on the RC6 panel it does some rounding so you might push the battery voltage check switch in the panel that allows you to disconnect the batteries.
"The red LED lit up at 45/overtemp is showing a 45 amp bulk charge."

Does the LED change colors when it's indicating a FAULT condition? The manual does not say.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #10

I never had an over temp issue so can not verify for sure if there is a different color. I believe the only color is red. You said you have the manual so you could check the status LEDs on the actual charger in the bay. They are more definitive that the panel. If it were me I would leave it plugged in for awhile and see if the 15v number did not drop down. Everything else sounds like it is normal.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDave View Post
I never had an over temp issue so can not verify for sure if there is a different color. I believe the only color is red. You said you have the manual so you could check the status LEDs on the actual charger in the bay. They are more definitive that the panel. If it were me I would leave it plugged in for awhile and see if the 15v number did not drop down. Everything else sounds like it is normal.
I was in the MH yesterday, winterized the clothes washer/dryer and cleaning. I plugged the shore power in and kept an eye on the status panel. The volts did drop from bulk charge 15V 45A to 14V 30A over a few hours, eventually switching to float. So it seems that it is working correctly. I did look at the LED on the Trace inverter, everything looks normal.

One thing I'm not clear on is if the Trace unit does an equalizer cycle. More reading I guess.

Thanks for your imput on helping me understand this system.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You were in coach yesterday and plugged in shore power, if your batteries are that low why not leave shore power plugged in to let the Bird charging system get all your batteries up to full strength.
Always have your battery cut off switch on when shore line is plugged in.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
You were in coach yesterday and plugged in shore power, if your batteries are that low why not leave shore power plugged in to let the Bird charging system get all your batteries up to full strength.
Always have your battery cut off switch on when shore line is plugged in.

So, if I'm reading the link you posted correctly (Thank you) I should be leaving the battery disconnect switch in the USE position, Not in the STORE position, to allow the inverter/charger to maintain both battery banks ?
Old 11-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You read me correctly when ever the shore or Gen is in use leave BCO in the ON position not STORE POSITION, you need the solenoid to switch charging voltage to chassis batteries when the house batteries are fully charged.
Will add, its also on when your driving so the alternator will be switched when the chassis batteries are fully charged to your house batteries.
Very simple operation if people just let their BIRD System do its job.

Tags
ace, charger, inverter