Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2021, 04:11 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sell it out right yourself and take the money.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Are there dealers that will allow you sell your coach yourself and do the paper work and show it as a trade-in? The sales tax is a huge difference in many states.
My dealer did allow and made the process of selling and buying very simple.
unicomgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #31

I have bought three used class A motor homes and have traded in 2 of them totalling five transactions. Every time the formula I used for both how much I was willing to pay for the next rig I was looking to buy, to what I "honestly" thought my trade was worth was; Get MSRP off of NADA, subtract 30% from the new price. Next, for each year older the rig is I subtracted 10% each year. The net price will come in around low retail NADA. This is your negotiating start point +/-. Of course availability, market, model extra can fluctuate the numbers some up or down, but it has worked well for me.

My son used the formula last summer on a 2017 used class C and after a month or so of back and forth, the dealer came in $500 higher than what the formula said, which because of demand caused by Covid was an outright steal.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
I have been toying with the idea of trading in my 2018 DS for a another coach, perhaps a MA, or a DS4369. If there is such a demand for nice late model coaches why are dealers only offering wholesale on a trade? If you want a shock see what your coach is worth by taking the NADA low retail and then subtracting another 10 to 15%. They could offer between low and average retail and still make a 25 to 30K profit just parking it on their lot. I don't think they need to make 75 to 90K off a trade.
Tucsonrail- having played this game for 51 years, here's the bottom line & truth! Dealers make a large portion of their transaction $$$$$ on your trade in! You are ALWAYS BETTER OFF selling your coach in advance & then dealing for CASH- CASH IS KING! I've done this on the past 4 coaches I've bought- I learned from the other transaction that I was leaving about 20-25% of my old coaches value on the table for the dealer to put in his pocket. The only way a dealer will even comes close to giving you fair price for your trade in, is if he has a customer waiting on it!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #33

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Tucsonrail- CASH IS KING!

Happy Trails
Unfortunately, the days where cash is king is long gone. They now make so much money off the financing that they won't give you as much off a RV if they know you're paying cash. That's why I always negotiate the price and won't talk about a trade in or anything else until the price is agreed upon.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:59 PM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Unfortunately, the days where cash is king is long gone. They now make so much money off the financing that they won't give you as much off a RV if they know you're paying cash. That's why I always negotiate the price and won't talk about a trade in or anything else until the price is agreed upon.
Yes, they must make a good chuck of change on the financing, they don't have any incentive for cash. I've had 2 dealers quote me 5k more on a new coach if I don't trade mine in.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Yes, they must make a good chuck of change on the financing, they don't have any incentive for cash. I've had 2 dealers quote me 5k more on a new coach if I don't trade mine in.
The same thing, of course, applies to cars as well. Now, if I plan to pay cash, I always allow them to arrange financing and then just pay off the loan immediately.

However I am not sure how much longer that will work as I have seen some lfinance agreements that require that the loan stay active for at least 90 days and I assume that is for the bank to get their money back out of it.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #36

Cash in all facets of business is becoming a lost commodity.

The same thing happened to me buying a darn recliner for my wife for Christmas, I got a better deal taking out an "interest-free for 90 days finance plan" and paying it off on the 90th day than if I paid cash.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Cash in all facets of business is becoming a lost commodity.
Now. with "cash back" credit cards, there is less and less reason to pay with cash.

My policy has changed - I now use a credit card where I get cash back and just make sure I pay off the entire balance due every month. That allows me the best of both worlds - I get a discount through the card and I don't pay any interest because I pay off my entire balance due each month.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Tucsonrail- having played this game for 51 years, here's the bottom line & truth! Dealers make a large portion of their transaction $$$$$ on your trade in! You are ALWAYS BETTER OFF selling your coach in advance & then dealing for CASH- CASH IS KING! I've done this on the past 4 coaches I've bought- I learned from the other transaction that I was leaving about 20-25% of my old coaches value on the table for the dealer to put in his pocket. The only way a dealer will even comes close to giving you fair price for your trade in, is if he has a customer waiting on it!

Happy Trails
I have my coach listed for sale, not even considering any type of trade. A certain large national RV dealer has contacted me 2 times with an offer. The last call they came within $25,000 of my asking price. I wasn't ever going to drop my price that much but it certainly shocked me that they would go that high. I'm thinking they have more than one customer searching for used 43' DPs.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:20 AM   #39

Damon Owners Club
There is no single formula for buying and selling.

A clean trade, especially a model that is desirable has value to the dealership and they want it.

Dont be afraid to draw a line in the sand, if the dealer doesnt play then walk away, they will call you back.

The last 2x I traded in an F150 the dealership went with the usual lowball offer. I walked. In the end I was $500 over what I wanted, not the $5000 over what they wanted.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #40

AJMike, shhhhh, bonus, that cashback you get is tax free too! Discover card is king in my wallet. I save all of the cashback, several hundred dollars a year, and cash out every January before I pay the rest to help subsidize my Christmas shopping.

As far as selling your "trade" privately, I tried that with my last rig. I posted it on Craigslist and one of the national RV posting. The closest offer I got was $5K short of what I would have taken. The dealer gave me my asking price, plus with the tax savings I came out way ahead of selling it myself. Now, I know the trade-in amount given will affect the price of the rig you are looking to buy, wholesale to wholesale, low retail to low retail, etc., so I was quite aware of how that works. Bottom line, I got a newer DP (from gas) class at a price that I thought worked for me on the lower end of the price spectrum. The dealer got an impeccably cared for a rig that they sold before I exchanged it (pick up) for the newer DP and probably made $10K on retail pricing.