Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #1

Trading up after 6 months

We purchased our first RV in April 2021...a 2021 brand new Baystar 3609

We put over 9000 miles on her sofar and have enjoyed it more than we expected. Two trips ago to Myrtle Beach we stopped by the local dealer and checked out what they had in stock. We fell in love with the Kountry Star 4037 but decided we would wait a little longer and just enjoy this one for now.

The original plan was to keep this for about 8 years until I retire then get a diesel pusher and spend 3 months on the road and 3 months home.

Well....retirement hasn't been pushed up but the diesel pusher is.

On our way home(NJ) from our last trip to Nashville we went through the mountains on West Virginia and after mile after mile of climbing at 4200 rpms at 45-50mph, a headache and a few lost fillings we decided that was it for the gasser!!!

So I began to online search....I was sure I wanted the Kountry Star, but then came across a brand new 2021 Ventana 3709. So now I had to decide do I want higher quality features or a larger rig....

After going back and forth we decided on....

YANKEES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #2

Yankees31,
I think you will love the Ventana. I have a 2016 VTDP 3725 and for my wife and I this is the perfect coach for us. You made the right choice. Congratulations.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #3

Nice.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:25 PM   #4

Congrats! Everyone knows the Ventana is the best rig Newmar outs out .
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You'll love it. I had my Bay Star for about 15 months, bought just to test the Class A waters, put a lot of miles on it, and then found the perfect Ventana for me. Couldn't be happier, and 30,000 miles later, I have no plans for trading up.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:32 PM   #6

Thank you

Oh I forgot to add. She will be put to the test asap as well. We go get her Friday in Ohio so we will be going through the mountains of PA right away
YANKEES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
One thing you'll find on the grades is that if you leave it in “D” and wait for it to downshift on its own, it will be too late and you will have lost precious momentum. So anticipate the grade and downshift early and you’ll usually hold your speed. And if you do get down to the 40-50mph range, at least you’ll be in the 2000 rpm range (not 4500) and the engine will be 30’ behind you. Its a welcome change. Even when working it hard, you can still converse normally.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:17 AM   #8

I did the same thing after 6 months. In May of 2019 I bought a 2019 Dutch Star. This was my first coach and not knowing that living in the desert where it is often 110 degs+ the DS really would really struggle when hot in the mountain grades when fully loaded and towing.

So I got the wild hair that I needed a London Aire with the 605 horse power motor. I started shopping and and I found deal I could not pass up so I traded the DS in November of 19 for a 2019 LA.

Crazy, maybe but I'm glad I did it.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:29 AM   #9

Trading up after 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by YANKEES31 View Post
Thank you

Oh I forgot to add. She will be put to the test asap as well. We go get her Friday in Ohio so we will be going through the mountains of PA right away
We started RVing with a 35 foot gasser and quickly had your same experience in mountain driving. Five rigs later and happy to say we like Newmar.

Sign up for your chassis manufacturer’s training classes. What I learned there and thru experience is this about mountain driving. Turn off the cruise control. Downshift until at least 2000 rpm. Turn on the engine brake. Then throttle as needed. This will help you accelerate up the mountain and keep the rig under control on the downside of the mountain. Safe travels.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:23 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
One thing you'll find on the grades is that if you leave it in “D” and wait for it to downshift on its own, it will be too late and you will have lost precious momentum. So anticipate the grade and downshift early and you’ll usually hold your speed. And if you do get down to the 40-50mph range, at least you’ll be in the 2000 rpm range (not 4500) and the engine will be 30’ behind you. Its a welcome change. Even when working it hard, you can still converse normally.
We were in our first Class A, Kountry Star, for 1.5 years and decided to upgrade to Dutch Star. The Kountry Star was a great starter coach that allowed us to experiment with RVing at a lower entry price. We are hooked and ready for the additional space and amenities in the Dutch Star.

I don't think you can downshift with the new transmission controls. You only get D, N, R on the steering column.

Come back and post your experience when you go through the mountains.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:29 AM   #11

Great choice. Drool.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
You either downshift manually or when anticipating a steep grade get you RPM’s up by increasing your speed and this should get you up the steep grade with no problems. If you cannot increase your speed due to traffic or other safety concerns down shifting manually would be the way to go. I have found increasing speed before you get to the steep grade where possible is the way to go.
JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:48 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlawbob View Post
We started RVing with a 35 foot gasser and quickly had your same experience in mountain driving. Five rigs later and happy to say we like Newmar.

Sign up for your chassis manufacturer’s training classes. What I learned there and thru experience is this about mountain driving. Turn off the cruise control. Downshift until at least 2000 rpm. Turn on the engine brake. Then throttle as needed. This will help you accelerate up the mountain and keep the rig under control on the downside of the mountain. Safe travels.
Exactly what I've found except that this strategy allows me maintain speed, or not loose too much on the grades. Acceleration up hill is a rare treat, and usually just a distant dream. So for me this practice is essential, unless I really don't care, in which case it will drive it self, cruise on and in drive - just slower up the hills, which sometimes is just fine.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:53 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
We were in our first Class A, Kountry Star, for 1.5 years and decided to upgrade to Dutch Star. The Kountry Star was a great starter coach that allowed us to experiment with RVing at a lower entry price. We are hooked and ready for the additional space and amenities in the Dutch Star.

I don't think you can downshift with the new transmission controls. You only get D, N, R on the steering column.

Come back and post your experience when you go through the mountains.
The transmission will have a manual mode accessed by pushing in on the end of the stalk enabling up and down shifting. One of the reasons I didn't buy new was that I wanted the shift pad. After reviewing stalk shifting operations, and hearing from others with this version, I think I would quickly get used to it and maybe prefer it.