Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Transfer Switch Gone Bad

Well 1500 miles from home and hooked up to shore power and all is good.
Then no shore power. Did the usual checking and found a loose wire in the Transfer Switch. Tightened and still no power into the coach. When I push in on the blue plastic located in the transfer switch 50 amp power is allowed into coach.
It appears something is wrong in the transfer switch. Called an RV repair in North Dakota said August. When I explained I was on vacation they asked me if I bought RV at there business and again told me August. Looks like I will use generator to keep batteries up for a few weeks unless someone has a trick to get shore power into coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Buy a decent battery charger at an auto parts store and leave it connected to the batteries. Just keep an eye on them.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

ATS works when gen set is running ? But not for shore power ?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Tony - One or two things to look into if you haven't already. 1. You don't say which transfer switch you have but if it is one that also monitors the current be sure the issue isn't that the pole current is flawed. 2. you can bypass the transfer switch if you don't need the generator for the remainder of your trip. It's not difficult to change out the switch, just be careful and be sure that you also turn off the generator breakers.

Tom
Old 07-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are handy, just buy a new transfer switch from someone like etrailer.com. They often burn up connectors if not periodically tightened. This is due to the vibration of being on the road - especially if not torqued properly when initially installed. Just don't over torque the new one. You are not putting on lug nuts.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #6

We have had automatic transfer switch catch on fire and had to rewire to have electrical service. You can by pass transfer box and just have shore power or just gen. but not both because that is what the automatic transfer box does. Go idea once a year to check all connections in box for tight connections.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Good idea once a year to check all connections in box for tight connections.
I agree. This was something that I discovered on my prior coach when the shore cord was getting hot. I now add semi-annual checks to all of the 50 amp connections. Takes a couple of hours, but gives me piece of mind.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13charlie View Post
Well 1500 miles from home and hooked up to shore power and all is good.
Then no shore power. Did the usual checking and found a loose wire in the Transfer Switch. Tightened and still no power into the coach. When I push in on the blue plastic located in the transfer switch 50 amp power is allowed into coach.
It appears something is wrong in the transfer switch. Called an RV repair in North Dakota said August. When I explained I was on vacation they asked me if I bought RV at there business and again told me August. Looks like I will use generator to keep batteries up for a few weeks unless someone has a trick to get shore power into coach.

Do you have CoachNet or a similar product? If so, they will assist you in locating a service tech. You paid for the service, so let them do the hard work of burning up the phone lines on your behalf.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
ATS works when gen set is running ? But not for shore power ?
Yes
Old 07-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #10

If you do purchase a new ATS, consider buying the exact same model. The wiring is very tight and the wires are large and stiff. It can be very easy to swap out the same model and very tedious to change to another model.

Speaking from experience....
Old 07-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13charlie View Post
Yes

I'll stick my neck out here...

Transfer switches *generally* default to the generator. I think your relay/solenoid has made its final switch. Get the numbers off the old one and do an internet search for replacement(s).

If you post the part numbers (bonus for a picture or 2) it's likely someone here will have suggestions for a better quality replacement as well as procedural help in replacement.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I thought of that! Well I found a replacement, different brand in Billings Montana. Found a Mobil RV Mechanic and going to meet him Monday and he is going to install. The ATS is a different brand but is the only one on the shelf within 400 miles. I can’t believe how this works and how hard to find parts when out of town! You guys are great!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry Morris splice connectors so as to be able to bypass the transfer switch if needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you

I would like to Thank everyone for the replies. It confirmed to me that ATS was bad. Once repaired I will update you. I will also let you know how Mobil RV Mechanic did. He seems to be a very nice and knowledgeable guy who is trying to help someone keep going. Unlike the dealers who asked me repeatedly where I bought the RV.

Tags
switch, transfer switch