Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #1

Transfer Switch Issue?

We came back from a trip out of town without the MH. I went in to check everything and there was no power coming in from the Shore Power. I checked everything out, surge protector, no breakers tripped ect. Unplugged and plugged in shore power again, no clunk heard, and no power to the MH. I turned on the generator and everything works/charges as it should. All of the appliances and systems work, no issues there. While checking out the Transfer Switch, the bottom switch for the generator pushes in/out. The Top one for the shore power is stuck in the out position.

A couple of questions. It is less than three years old, shouldn't it last longer. Am I missing something to check. When looking on-line through the Progressive web-site, they Have the PD52, which looks exactly like what I have, but mine is a PD52(P)???I guess I will have to call Progressive on that. Also I have read a few of the threads where people have said they tapped on the Transfer Switch with a mallet and it freed up the connection. If that were to work would you trust it. And lastly for anyone who has changed out the switch themselves, it looks fairly easy would you do it yourself or just take it in for service. I have an extended warranty that will cover it, but for the cost of a new one, it may be worth my while to just do it myself. Any advice appreciated, thanks Mike.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
We came back from a trip out of town without the MH. I went in to check everything and there was no power coming in from the Shore Power. I checked everything out, surge protector, no breakers tripped ect. Unplugged and plugged in shore power again, no clunk heard, and no power to the MH. I turned on the generator and everything works/charges as it should. All of the appliances and systems work, no issues there. While checking out the Transfer Switch, the bottom switch for the generator pushes in/out. The Top one for the shore power is stuck in the out position.

A couple of questions. It is less than three years old, shouldn't it last longer. Am I missing something to check. When looking on-line through the Progressive web-site, they Have the PD52, which looks exactly like what I have, but mine is a PD52(P)???I guess I will have to call Progressive on that. Also I have read a few of the threads where people have said they tapped on the Transfer Switch with a mallet and it freed up the connection. If that were to work would you trust it. And lastly for anyone who has changed out the switch themselves, it looks fairly easy would you do it yourself or just take it in for service. I have an extended warranty that will cover it, but for the cost of a new one, it may be worth my while to just do it myself. Any advice appreciated, thanks Mike.
Hello Mike, have you taken a muti meter and checked out the transfer switch??
No power to loads when
plugged into shore power:
1. Measure AC Volts between HOT1 and NEU on the shore line connections, there must be voltage between 105 and 130VAC to energize the contactor. If the proper voltage is not present then there is a wiring error between the shore
cord and the transfer switch or a shore power problem.
2. If proper voltage is present at HOT1 and NEU on the shore side measure AC Volts on the load side between HOT1
and NEU, should read between 105 and 130VAC. If the voltage is not present and there is proper voltage on the
SHORE side the transfer switch is defec
tive. If the proper voltage is present on the LOAD side there is a wiring error
between the transfer switch and the distribution panel.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mike, We have the same switch on our 3940 and it started giving us issues this year. With the shore power unplugged and the gen off I took the cover off the switch box. After looking it over I found that ours had a ground wire running across the bottom (inside) of the box and that it had shorted out a capacitor or resister or something similar on the control board that has the green led light on it. The wire on one end of the resistor (?) had melted so that it was only connected on one end. Obviously it can no longer do what it was intended to do. We have had issues with shore power connecting. Sometimes it takes about 5 minutes before we hear the "thunk". Also, if we were driving down the road with the gen running, after a few hours (typically) the gen power would disconnect for a few seconds for no apparent reason. Then it came back on. The whole time the gen was running. I'm not sure exactly what the resistor or whatever it is really does but I do know that something on the board is broken.
I called a Progressive and spoke with someone in service. I think his name was a Dennis. In any event I ordered a new board from them. It wasn't very expensiive. It just arrived and I'll try installing it this weekend. I asked him the same question you have about the model number. He said the (P) is something like a lot number or a something else that helps them identify a group of these that were produced as a production run if I recall correctly. Anyway, the important thing is that it is a PD 52.
I considered putting in a different brand of switch all together but it looks like Newmar didn't leave enough wire on our set up to reach many, if any, other switches.
Also, I don't know about yours, but, the Progressive website shows the orientation in which to mount the box and the orientation it shouldn't be mounted in because incorrect orientation may cause premature failure. Well, guess which way Newmar mounted ours? You guessed it.
I hope some of this helps. Don't know about your sticking issue but maybe some of my experiences will be helpful to you. Let us know how you resolve it.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check to see if you have iron filings caught on the contacts of relay may only need to run a dollar bill through the contacts to clean out filings, cheap fix for a dollar.
Make sure power is off.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #5

Agree on doing some meter probing. It could be as simple as a literal bug in a contact or a bad source.

I'd at least check doing it myself as I would get the installation instructions and check them against the way it was put in.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ours failed last year on Easter weekend. All lugs had been checked 3 months prior to this issue. Also it was a PD52.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	145215  
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #7

Thanks for all the responses. I haven't checked it yet with a multi meter, but I will do that. I have it plugged into the same source I have done for the last 3 years, and even tried another socket. I guess it could be the cord itself. There are no signs of anything burning, no melted wires ect. But am I correct in assuming the shore power side contact should push in/out just as the generator side does? I will also try the dollar bill fix, I was hoping it would be something that simple.

LongDog mine is mounted the same way yours is and I was thinking the same thing when I read the Progressive web site and installation instructions. It looks as though they might have turned the switches in the box, as even though the box is mounted sideways, the switches are still in the vertical position if that makes sense.

Thanks again for all the replies and advice. I have changed out a lot of things/components throughout our years of RV'ing, but have never messed around with the main electrical source. Thanks Mike.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Good Luck Mike. Please keep us posted. I'm heading out to the rv right now to get into switching out the circuit board. I only hope I'm facing a "less than half day" project instead of a"what have I gotten myself into?" project.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

I will keep you posted. Due to the Holiday and other stuff going on I haven't had a chance to check it out any further. Good luck on your project, hopefully it goes smoothly for you.....Mike
Old 11-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #10

MrJP...have you by now gotten any specifics as to what happened to cause
your scary situation? It appears that failure to properly tighten could not be blamed...often, that does contribute to such a problem. I trust you'll be
able to offer all concerned some possible explanation(s). I'll certainly be
interested in knowing more. Thanks! Larry
Old 11-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
hugh37, The best I could tell the lugs were tight and it appears the contacts on the were either slightly misaligned and or dirty. I had contacted progressive industries and they were not interested in investigating or looking into the issue. They just said I could have it repaired if I wish at my dime. Luckily when it failed we lost all power and it would not even switch over to gen mode. So we just ran on battery for a day till I found another one 100 miles away so we took a short road trip. Only took about an hour or so to repair and install a new transfer switch. Their not to bad to install. The fact that when it fried the contacts lost contact some how so that stopped the spread or continuation of a electrical fire. I do check the switch before every trip and very regularly now and also monitor the power usage and line voltage on the panel up front in the coach now.
Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #12

I have a 2014 Newmar King Aire (bought it new in 2014) and had the same problem with the transfer switch. I installed a new one (as it was still in warranty) and about a month later it went out and quit working. After investigating I found that my problem along was "a short" in the "electric reel". It seems like the electric power cord has some wires loose and caused the problem. I had to replace the entire "electric power cord" and that was a year ago and so far no problem

I would at least check out the "power cord reel" to see if maybe that is the problem.

Good Luck.

bwinters

QUOTE=Mike and Cha;3349155]Thanks for all the responses. I haven't checked it yet with a multi meter, but I will do that. I have it plugged into the same source I have done for the last 3 years, and even tried another socket. I guess it could be the cord itself. There are no signs of anything burning, no melted wires ect. But am I correct in assuming the shore power side contact should push in/out just as the generator side does? I will also try the dollar bill fix, I was hoping it would be something that simple.

LongDog mine is mounted the same way yours is and I was thinking the same thing when I read the Progressive web site and installation instructions. It looks as though they might have turned the switches in the box, as even though the box is mounted sideways, the switches are still in the vertical position if that makes sense.

Thanks again for all the replies and advice. I have changed out a lot of things/components throughout our years of RV'ing, but have never messed around with the main electrical source. Thanks Mike.[/QUOTE]
bwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #13

bwinters...when my transfer switch recently failed it turned out that the
power cord reel was at fault. While Glendinning was quick to send me a
replacement under warranty, I've yet to install it. I've heard of a number
of similar failures with the reel, causing me to be content (for the time,
anyhow) with manually pulling out and returning the power cord.

Tags
switch, transfer switch