Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Transfer switch swap question

On my 'new to us' 1994 Kountry Aire I am still finding out how it works. It just dawned on me the transfer switch doesn't transfer.

One side has the shore power cord hooked up, the other side is blank. I was told that to use generator power I was to hook the shore power plug to an outlet box, [mounted near the transfer switch] that is hooked to the genset.

Is this a factory installation? It looks factory.

But in this manner I see no reason for a transfer switch.
Assuming the transfer switch works as advertised, is there any reason not to hook the genset to the other side so it will automatically transfer from shore to generator power?...and remove the outlet box. I don't want to 'fix' a problem that doesn't exist, or create one either.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Greg2,
I have not owned a coach where there was a transfer switch included with the wiring you described. The coach power cord should be wired directly to the coach main AC breaker panel. It receives power from either the site pedestal or the generator. Consider contacting Newmar to understand if the transfer switch is factory installed and why. The number for Newmar is 800-731-8300.

Take a good look at the transfer switch. The shore power and generator power should be on separate connections on the input side of the switch. The output side would be the coach. Connected to shore power the transfer switch is activated and passes power to the coach. On generator power, the transfer switch stays in the normally open position (does not activate) and transfers power to the coach. The power path (in the transfer switch) is different depending on the power source. Does the transfer switch have the contacts to separate the input from either the generator or shore power? Consider Googling the transfer switch make and model. See if you can get the specs of the switch. The specs will tell you if your idea might work.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The transfer switch is for what you do manually by placing your shore power cord into the electric outlet so Gen will power your coach.
When you have the TS it will automatically make that transfer.
Out of the TS you will have the Gen feed, shore line feed and your load center feed.
When working in TS switch be careful of circuit board inside and not short the wiring terminals.
If your Gen is turned on will hooked to shore power the TS will auto switch to the Gen side.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post

On my 'new to us' 1994 Kountry Aire I am still finding out how it works. It just dawned on me the transfer switch doesn't transfer.

One side has the shore power cord hooked up, the other side is blank. I was told that to use generator power I was to hook the shore power plug to an outlet box, [mounted near the transfer switch] that is hooked to the genset.

Is this a factory installation? It looks factory.

But in this manner I see no reason for a transfer switch.
Assuming the transfer switch works as advertised, is there any reason not to hook the genset to the other side so it will automatically transfer from shore to generator power?...and remove the outlet box. I don't want to 'fix' a problem that doesn't exist, or create one either.
You're correct!

It's NOT a transfer switch. It is a simple electrical box with a receptacle where the shore power cord gets plugged into. That receptacle is powered by the generator and basically all that you are doing is manually transferring power form the generator to the main distribution panel in your coach by plugging in the shore power cord to the receptacle.

If you wanted to install an automatic transfer switch box, then one input would come from your generator, one input would come from your shore power cord and one output would go to your main distribution panel in your coach.

Not a big job at all especially when you have everything in one compartment.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
Back in '94 that is the way they transferred power by means of an outlet where you plugged the shore power cord into when using generator.

When you plug in shore power see if you hear the transfer click as relay closes. If not then it is activated in a normal open position and in order for it to work with generator there would have to be a control wire to flip relay if you get my drift.

In my estimation I would leave sleeping dogs lie and when you get a newer coach it will flip automatically plus it will probably be 50 amps whereas now I think you have 30 amps.

Whatever you do in the transfer switch box make sure power is DISCONNECTED.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone for their take on my question.

I should have included a picture of my setup in order to clarify my question, but it is solved anyway with a quick call to Newmar customer service [thanks Gary for the number]

1. they installed a transfer switch from the factory [which I have], and

2. when the genset is started it should automatically switch from shore
power to the genset, no movement of the cord is necessary.

Which is what it is supposed to do, otherwise it has no function.

So, in closing, it appears that the genset wireing was removed from the TS and ran to this outlet box, probably because the TS has failed. I will find out later this year when I hook it up and observe its operation or failure.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear that your concern has been addressed.

However, this brings up a good point for everyone to be aware of with previously owned RV's.

You never know what PO's had changed or modified from the way it was when delivered from the factory OR the way it is supposed to be.

So never assume that the way you found it was the way it was designed at the factory.

Thanks for the follow-up to your thread.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote