Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
lightning strike . . . do we on this forum really believe Newmar would install a device that needs replaced every time there is a power issue?
Lightning strikes are a frequent power issue? Where do you camp? Under a Van de Graaff generator?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #16

.....the transfer switch really isn't what you are protecting.....IMHO, hard-wired PI equipment with remote display is the only way to go--lifetime warranty too.....Like having separate devices so you still have genset power if SP fails/sacrificed ....wire it to protect just shore power or both shore power and genset--your choice.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #17
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Lightning strikes are a frequent power issue? Where do you camp? Under a Van de Graaff generator?
If you "camp" in Montana, I assure you that nearby lightning strikes can be a frequent occurrence. No Van de Graaff generator required. And, you don't have to actually be struck by a lightning bolt to experience electrical damage.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #18

Surgeguard 34950

New unit from the makers of Surgeguard, the 34950. Does the same and more than the PI units.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Am I correct in understanding that if there is a surge the all-in-one factory surge/transfer switch need completely replaced. Are we talking about lightning strike or brown out surge. If the box dies with the latter no one would ever buy it. If we are talking lightning strike then true an external surge would be great. We have a hard wired surge prior to our transfer switch, probably had a dozen of surge/under voltage and still haven't had to replace the protector. Something I really don't understand, do we on this forum really believe Newmar would install a device that needs replaced every time there is a power issue?
The hwc50 warranty states that acts of God are not covered, including lightning strikes.

Both surge protectors are designed to be sacrificed when hit by lightning. Both exclude lighting damage.

The progressive offers a bypass mode, where as the surge guard does not.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/warranty

Further progressive will no longer deal with end users. Ever since the company sold, their new policy is parts to authorized dealers only.

It is for this reason I have even looked elsewhere, as prior to the change of ownership and policy I would have never looked elsewhere.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From their website

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/trouble-shooting

Progressive Industries will only send replacement parts directly to a qualified RV dealer for installation. The warranty does not cover labor costs associated with repairs or replacement*
Old 05-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Newmar have only started offering this as an option for 2019 on Ventana and Canyon Star models, so I am sure you don't have it on yours.
This is not true. Newgle showes the TRC surge guard auto transfer switch 40100 for BSS through CS from at least 2016. So it is possible it could be on a 2013.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
In our 2015 CS the surge guard/transfer switch wasn't an option so our dealer hardwired the progressive industries surge guard prior to transfer switch.

Having said this in a new unit I was curious about the 'bypass' feature. According to the email I sent to south wire "There is not a bypass or override method for the protection features of the 40350 automatic transfer switch". in their option if you bypass faulty power, why have the protection anyway. When I pushed them for a 'If I want can I' they sent me how you can pull this, disconnect that ..... which being and electrical engineer I actually understood, but their real position is NO BYPASS since it defeats the purpose....
While I like the all-in-one factory integrated option, I still haven't decided which way to go, probably going to get the integrated (can always go to 2 unit solution) since I assume it will be integrated into control panel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
In our 2015 CS the surge guard/transfer switch wasn't an option so our dealer hardwired the progressive industries surge guard prior to transfer switch.

Having said this in a new unit I was curious about the 'bypass' feature. According to the email I sent to south wire "There is not a bypass or override method for the protection features of the 40350 automatic transfer switch". in their option if you bypass faulty power, why have the protection anyway. When I pushed them for a 'If I want can I' they sent me how you can pull this, disconnect that ..... which being and electrical engineer I actually understood, but their real position is NO BYPASS since it defeats the purpose....
While I like the all-in-one factory integrated option, I still haven't decided which way to go, probably going to get the integrated (can always go to 2 unit solution) since I assume it will be integrated into control panel.
The new model communicates on the rv-c network, allowing for remote display to be much simpler. There is very little documentation, so I will have to figure most of this out once I take delivery in October.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
If you "camp" in Montana, I assure you that nearby lightning strikes can be a frequent occurrence. No Van de Graaff generator required. And, you don't have to actually be struck by a lightning bolt to experience electrical damage.
So how many times have you been struck by lightning in Montana?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Can you share or pm me the info you received from south wire? I ordered the upgraded 40350 because it comes with a HD transfer switch and the Hughes AF I will install will be my first surge protection (which is twice the PI or SG)
10 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The new model communicates on the rv-c network, allowing for remote display to be much simpler. There is very little documentation, so I will have to figure most of this out once I take delivery in October.
Is that the 34950? I ordered ( not thru Newmar) the remote monitor for the 40350
10 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Messages from Southwire, first is response to bypass question, second is technical way (which I hope I wouldn't have to do, even as an electrical engineer) to bypass switch if it has a failure:

Robert,
There is not a bypass or override method for the protection features of the 40350 automatic transfer switch. If you encounter a power source that has faulty power, we recommend relocating to a different sites the campground to make sure your RV is protected. If something happens while you are already hooked up, you will need to use generator power to either continue camping or to close up the RV to move to a different site.

We do not feel having a bypass function fits with our goal of protecting RV’s. We had a bypass key in an older version of our hardwire product and we frequently fielded calls from owners that forgot to turn the bypass off and had damage to their RV.

If you would like further information or have additional questions, please let me know.

Robert,
I am going to go out on a limb, since you seem to have an understanding of functionality and design.

In the event of an emergency, you can manually activate the shore contactor to temporarily allow power to pass through. You can depress the contactor plunger manually to allow power to pass, however you will need to disconnect the harness plugs from the PCB board. My concern with this process is if a very substantial surge came through, there may have been damage to the actual contactor which would pose a threat to the RV if energized. I would suggest a continuity test of the contactor before even considering this process.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:00 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you Boomer for posting. I was hoping they had a way to bypass the surge protection if it went out but keep all of the other safety features working. Their explanation seems to be for a faulty transfer switch.

Tags
transfer switch, switch