Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2022, 06:05 AM   #1

Transmission Will Not Up Shift Past 3-4

Here's one for you. 2022 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. When the pedal is 3/4 or fully depressed, the transmission will not automatically upshift past 3-4 gear. Engine RPM are at ~2200 and turbo pressure at 30+. Begins losing turbo pressure down to 6psi. Let off the throttle and it takes a couple of seconds before any throttle response and most times it will upshift but not always. Lately it has been been failing to upshift going easy on the throttle as well.

This happened once when it was new (1037 miles) and I thought maybe I was was doing wrong but now it is constant with 12400 miles.

Fluid levels are good with no noted leaks.

Fuel filters were changed at 6K service.

Took it to Cummins and they plugged in and no fault codes.

Took it to Freightliner and also found no fault codes. Test drove it and duplicated the problem...scratching their heads. Did not care for the repair shop so I took it to an Allison shop.

Allison also duplicated the problem on a test drive and there were no fault codes.

Opened a ticket with Allison and waiting to hear back on way forward.

Anyone experience this problem or have any idea what the problem might be?

Also posted in Allison forum.
Pavetack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2022, 08:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavetack View Post
Here's one for you. 2022 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. When the pedal is 3/4 or fully depressed, the transmission will not automatically upshift past 3-4 gear. Engine RPM are at ~2200 and turbo pressure at 30+. Begins losing turbo pressure down to 6psi. Let off the throttle and it takes a couple of seconds before any throttle response and most times it will upshift but not always. Lately it has been been failing to upshift going easy on the throttle as well.

This happened once when it was new (1037 miles) and I thought maybe I was was doing wrong but now it is constant with 12400 miles.

Fluid levels are good with no noted leaks.

Fuel filters were changed at 6K service.

Took it to Cummins and they plugged in and no fault codes.

Took it to Freightliner and also found no fault codes. Test drove it and duplicated the problem...scratching their heads. Did not care for the repair shop so I took it to an Allison shop.

Allison also duplicated the problem on a test drive and there were no fault codes.

Opened a ticket with Allison and waiting to hear back on way forward.

Anyone experience this problem or have any idea what the problem might be?

Also posted in Allison forum.
2018 Newmar Ventana 4369
2021 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #3

First thing I would do is put a digital voltmeter on the feed to the Allison ECU and monitor it for when this happens.

Low voltage is a prime reason for this kind of issue.

And absolutely check the ground side as well.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:52 AM   #4

You need to replace your fuel filters !
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:31 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Is this occurring randomly or right after you use the engine brake?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Is this occurring randomly or right after you use the engine brake?
It's random and when I drove it from the Freightliner to Allison shop the other day, I was able to duplicate it several times and the engine brake was off.

First time it ever happened I thought maybe it was not warmed up enough.

Recently happened coming out of a rest stop on I-20 and would not come out of 2nd. Not a good situation with on coming traffic at 70+ MPH.

Tags
transmission