Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Final post - trantorque bushings are all back together properly

After I got the courage to start working on the rear trantorque bushing (also mis-assembled by me. (I did not engage the top of the wedges into the collar on the 1 1//2" hex nut)) I found that one of the wedges had already fallen out. I guess because I was wacking the sh/t out of the back side of the front trantorque bushing all the banging loosened up and freed one of the three wedges. This is probably because the "rear shaft" goes through the rear trantorque coupling, through the gearbox and into the front trantorque coupling. (I almost cried!)

I cleaned up both trantorque couplings and shafts with brake clean and the slideout is now back together and I am making my final adjustments.

The attached file show the configuration for a single motor slideout.

the link below will take you to a YouTube video showing how to assemble the trantorque coupling properly.

https://youtu.be/hfdRa6ArX-I
All_Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 09:26 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
1 inch Trantorque - Fenner Drive

I believe my motorhome has an older version of a 1" Trantorque NT. Looking at the catalog I'm thinking a 1" Trantorque GT which appears to have more durable wedges and two wrench flats might be a better solution and less likely to have the wedges break during dis-assembly. Looking at the engineering data the GT is capable of handling a little more torque than the NT.

Hope this helps. It might be worth a call to Fenner Drives to discuss the NT vs GT before purchasing an exact replacement of your original Trantorque. Of course to remove the "nut" and the "male thread" of the Trantorque you have to dis-assemble many parts. If you just need new wedges it will be much easier and faster to purchase a new Trantorque from Newmar and just install the wedges (assuming you are able to get the broken wedges out without already disassembling the slideout shafts). Newmar had 30 Trantorque couplings in stock when I call this week.

Here are links to the Fenner website where you can download their entire product catalog. Good luck!

https://www.fennerdrives.com/

https://www.fennerdrives.com/why-trantorque/

"Trantorque, the original single nut keyless bushing is used from gears to cams, timing belt sprockets to conveyor rolls, and climate control
fan hubs to grinding wheels. The extensive range of Trantorque keyless bushings offers easy to use options for mounting and adjusting
position sensitive, zero backlash drive components and accessories."
Old 02-02-2022, 07:34 AM   #17

slide shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Mountain View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Cut the shaft right at the trantorque. Drill and bottom tap the cut off piece to pull the cutoff piece out by running a 3/8” fine threaded bolt down the center of the cutoff piece.

Now the shaft is 1-1.5 inches too short. Now cut the shaft again approximately in the middle and slide a slightly loose fit 6” long 1/4” wall thickness collar over the two “halves” and fillet weld the collar to the shaft. I may have to do this to the rear shaft because the coupling is too close to the gearbox.

Tomorrow I’m going to try drilling the “backside” of the forward coupling and see if I can tap one “120 degree wedge” out. I think if I get one out that may take the load off the coupling. Fingers crossed.
did you try to jack slide up to take some presser off the end may be able to move shaft
samara1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:33 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Yes I did. I dis-assembled the rear end of the shaft and dropped the cog wheel down so the 3/4” keyed shaft was disconnected from the 1” shaft. I was hoping to twist the 1” shaft out of the trantorque coupling. That didn’t work.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #19

4-25-22

I just adjusted my 2012 Newmar Bay Star kitchen slide out. To loosen the transtorque bushing I tried everything you did with no luck either. What I did was back off the 1 1/2 inch nut as much as possible without disconnecting it and had someone inside jog the slide out a little at a time. Sure enough, the bushine separated!!!!!! gerrypratt@yahoo.com
dlpratt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
improper assembly, problem, slideout, trantorque