Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

Travel by Ferry? 4369 DSDP

Has anyone travelled with a 4369 and tow vehicle on a large seagoing ferry? We are thinking of trying the Galveston to Port Bolivar ferry, and I'm not sure about the onramp and offramp clearances at the rear of the coach. Could be cool, but what are folks experiences?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Has anyone travelled with a 4369 and tow vehicle on a large seagoing ferry? We are thinking of trying the Galveston to Port Bolivar ferry, and I'm not sure about the onramp and offramp clearances at the rear of the coach. Could be cool, but what are folks experiences?
The only trouble I ever had going on and off any ferries was with the rear full width flap dragging.
Since I've removed this rock slinging device about three years ago I not have any problems of that nature and, no requirement for rock guards and, no stone chips on the toad or the back of the coach.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If they transport tractor trailers you will have the appropriate clearance . Only issue a MH will have is tail dragging going onto or exiting the ship. If you feel unsure call the ferry line and inquire
Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #4

Do it often. With 35' pulling 8' trailor. Have to go at an angle if tide way out. If high tide it is almost straight in and out.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #5

Biggest issue for MH and ferries are the tidal swings. Not such a big deal around the Gulf of Mexico, but in Washington State and Alaska it is a very big deal. Never try to load or unload a ferry up there at very low tides. Safest time is wait for "average" tidal conditions for the area. Then the ramps are flat.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The only trouble I ever had going on and off any ferries was with the rear full width flap dragging.
Since I've removed this rock slinging device about three years ago I not have any problems of that nature and, no requirement for rock guards and, no stone chips on the toad or the back of the coach.
So Dennis,
You feel the rear flap picks up debris and slings it at the towed?

Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
So Dennis,

Bill

I'm curious also?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
That was our experience. Unfortunately/fortunately someone stole our flap. Noticed a distinct reduction in chips on the trailer with it gone. Do not have one now, no intention to replace.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #9

Ferry Load Master will guide you on/off.

They do it daily ---over and over

Ferry travel with your RV is cool.........comfy, relaxing and great sight seeing.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
So Dennis,

Bill
Bill, here's my story.

During a trip to Alaska we were part of a caravan. Prior to departure, on advice from the caravan operator, I raised my rear flap to the maximum which put it about 4-6" off the ground.
Each day after our departure from Dawson Creek, BC the front of the CRV was covered with tiny stones. The rear of the coach had stone chips from stones bouncing off the rock guard I had also installed for this trip.
When we arrived in Whitehorse, I was doing my daily ritual of picking rocks when the trek master came along. He said if I removed the rear flap it would solve the problem.
Reluctantly, I made arrangements with the campground operator to leave my flap there and pick it up on our way home.
From that day on I did not find another stone. The flap still resides in the pile with a bunch of others in Whitehorse and I've never replaced it. I also do not use any protection device and have not found one stone chip in over 10K miles. Still the OEM windshield without a mark.
I also find the toad stays cleaner.

I did like the appearance with the flap but the results of removing it by far out way the appearance thing.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post

I did like the appearance with the flap but the results of removing it by far out way the appearance thing.
What is the purpose of the flap? I thought maybe it had something to do with air flow.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Have traveled on ferries with my toad several times in the Washington State/Vancouver area. Always made a reservation beforehand. Very easy and pleasant experience (except for the $).
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
What is the purpose of the flap? I thought maybe it had something to do with air flow.
The intended purpose is to stop road debris from being thrown out from behind the coach.
However, in my experience, it actually causes turbulence under the flap which causes the small stones on the road to be thrown up.
If you watch the back of a coach going down the highway pulling a toad in a rain storm, you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Well I did have a windshield chip that needed repair on my Jeep.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel