RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #1

Travel tips for Oregon & Northern California

Hello, we are starting our first trip in our new coach and looking for interesting ideas for "Points of Interest" and "RV Parks" through Oregon and Northern California. Any assistance would be wonderful.
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, Oregon has the best state parks in the nation. Cape Blanco has been our favorite where your campsite is in the thick woods but only a few hundred yards away you can sit on a bluff and watch the whales frolic.

California redwoods are a must. Crater lake Oregon. Spruce Goose air museum in McMinville (I believe)... are all great spots.

If you'll be over on I5 consider staying at Seven Feathers. Great spot.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
On the Oregon coast I recommend Winchester Bay Rv Park and Pacific Shores RV Resort in Newport. As mentioned, Oregon has great state parks, but be aware that during the summer months, they can be quite crowded and may need reservations. Most have FHUs.

If doing the Oregon coast, the best direction is from North to South as the pull outs much favor the southern direction.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #4

Rick is correct in that Oregon has some great state parks. You should go on line to check some out and in the summer you will most likely want to make reservations. You also need to be cautious do to your length and toad.
Redwoods are spectacular and there are several parks around that area.
101 hwy is beautiful albeit narrow in a few areas. Just take your time and enjoy. Going north up 101 Gold Beach is a nice place to stay if you want to take a boat ride up the rogue.. Continuing north if you like Golf you should stop and Bandon. For visiting newport and possibly depoe bay Pacific Shores is nice and can easily accommodate your coach. If you like aviation, the air museum in McMinnville is very interesting and there is an RV next door(Stone village I believe) and it to can easily accommodate your coach. If you want to visit the portland area before heading back or down the east of the state towards crater lake, the place to stay south of portland is pheasant ridge and to the north either fairview or there are a couple other parks I have not stayed at around jantzen beach. If you head south you could go out I84 east and enjoy the view of the columbia river and then head south on 97 or go over mt hood and on into Bend. If you stay in Bend, the best place to stay is crown villa on the southeast side of town. Bend has a lot to offer with the deshutes river, mt bachelor, etc. From there you can continue heading south towards crater lake. I have been there but only by car so I can not recommend a park(check trailer life or woodall or check oregon state site).
Then after you leave crater lake you can continue down 97 and cross over to
I5. Depending on how far you like to drive, I would recommend staying in Red Bluff vs Redding at the Durango Resort. Very clean, great sites.

Well hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Mike
beachbum480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

Northern Oregon Coast

Having lived in Astoria, on the very northern tip of Oregon, and gone back many times in our Motorhome the area is rich in history, There is the Lewis & Clark encampment,(where Lewis & Clark and their men spent the winter after traveling from St Louis). That is in Warrenton, just across the bay from Astoria and the newly remodeled Maritime Museum in Astoria, plus tours of historic homes from prominent settlers of the time. The "Column" sits on a hill with a great view of the entire area from atop its' spiral staircase to the top, where you can fly balsa airplanes from. Lots of delicious seafood restaurants to choose from
Fort Stevens is a great state park within walking distance of the Ocean and there is also a KOA right across the street. Have only stayed at Fort Stevens and is very clean, with hookups and a dump station. You can spend days in this area just visiting different sights.
19481955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Grants Pass is a nice little town, and the Rogue River canyon is a very scenic place-- location shooting for a number of western movies and TV shows. Josephine County runs 2 or 3 campgrounds along the Rogue. They're older, but very pleasant with mature trees, and the one we checked out had 50 amp and sewer through most of the park.

The Evergreen Museum in McMinnville was a good take 20 years ago, and I'm told recently its really impressive. They've added a waterpark that features slides originating from a retired 747 mounted on the roof. If you go there, note the craft's N number-- 481EV-- and know that it truly was a real plane. I have personally flown that very craft on many, many flights throughout the world. Here's a pic:

http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/wp-co...ark-oregon.jpg

Now, here's the problem. If this might be on your list, call ahead. Evergreen Airlines filed Chapter 7 not long ago, so I'm not sure what portions of the Evergreen "empire" are still operating.

Good luck!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
If you head over to California from Oregon be aware that its a very steep climb....We managed to burn out the turbo in our pickup...We stayed at Durango resort which has an awesome large pool. We had to stay away from Grants Pass last year due to the forest fires. Winchester Bay is an exceptional CG.....the only down side is that, like last year, the weather might feel more like fall then summer. It rained for 4 days when we stayed last year. but the year before it was sunny with morning maritime fog. We return every year to Oregon.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #8

We've travelled the OR coast three times. I would recommend heading south, as almost all the sights and parks are west of 101. Coming north, you have to cross the southbound traffic entering and leaving. There are so many good stat, county and city parks, you can do the whole trip without using a commercial CG.

There's another interesting air museum in Tillamook, within a couple of miles of 101. It's housed in an old US Navy airship hangar, and the building itself is worth a visit. Going from memory, I think is 325 feet span, 150 feet high and 1700 yards long. It could house six fully inflated airships. It's made entirely of wood, except for the rails that carry the end doors.

If you're coming south on I-5, I'd recommend turning west just south of Olympia and heading to Aberdeen on highwy 12, then over the Columbia River Bridge into Astoria. There's a fair chunk of northerly heading along the west side of the Columbia if you go all the way to Portland before heading to the coast.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have a National Parks card?

We found that some of the state parks in Oregon would let you in for free with that card.

U.S. National Park ServiceAmerica the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass Series

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #10

Thanks for all the tips, great help.

Frank - gotta love those Labs. After 35 years in the veterinary field they remain my favorite.

Jim
Old 03-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Just gonna add that in Eugene, there is a great City park with vary nice sites. Close to Junction City as well which is like the RV Capital of the world. Depending on where you are in your trip, good place to stop for a couple of days, shop, what have you. Pretty much agree with most of the Hwy 101 comments and northern California
Old 03-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #12

Jim:

We've had three rescue Labs, one of whom we rescued from a family break-up when she was 8 months old. She lived to 14 years old and had Addison's disease from about 14 months onwards.

We got our first one soon after we were married, when Eileen was expecting our first daughter. That daughter will be 49 this year! We had to leave that dog with my brother as Boeing wouldn't pay to ship her over when we emigrated. The two we have now are #s 5 and 6. They'll probably be the last ones, as we're getting a bit too old (73 & 70) for two big strong dogs. Bailey caused an injury to Eileen two years ago when he went after a cat and she ended up having rotator cuff surgery.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lake of the Woods near Klamath Falls, OR
Bullards Beach SP near Bandon, OR
Ancient Redwoods RV Park just south of Eureka

If you drive thru Eureka you simply MUST stop at Samoa Cook House. Eunique experience, excellent food and an RV friendly parking lot.

Under no circumstances should you take RT 36 over to Rt 5 (ask me how I know that :-)
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #14

Thanks again for the all the tips.

SIRPURRCIVAL do you have the name and location of the park near Eugene? Thanks

Jim

Tags
california, travel