Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #113

As long as you are at it you may as well turn the water heater off as well.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #114

If you think about it if you are going to have a plumping leak it would be more likely when driving. [/QUOTE]

If you think a little bit more, think about what happens when you turn the pump on, use water, then turn it off. Do the lines automatically depressurize? No. If you've got a weak spot, it will leak anytime the lines are under pressure.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straykat View Post
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't see how you know how long the cycle is set for, no display shown.
For that cheap timer, you would set it once and time it with your watch (smartphone timer etc). I think you adjust the screw to increase / decrease the time the pump will run with each On. So, good for toilet / washing hands. Just hit it once, do your business and the timer will shut the pump off after X minutes even if you forget.

Certainly there are a hundred other varieties that can be set. Our control system makes that easy too. Click a button on a touchscreen to raise / lower the timer and click the Go button and thar ya go. The automation controller then times the relay.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #116

Newmar Owners Club
Traveling on the road with water pump on

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Shutting the water off in your home shouldn't be all that difficult. Turn the valve in the incoming water line to off and you're done unless you are on a well. In the case of a well and pump you will have to turn the pump switch to off after shutting the water valve off.

Write this down so you won't forget how to get the water system working again when you return home.

Yep, not difficult at all. As a former general contractor and custom home remodeler, I have personally installed an awful lot of plumbing. Mine is a single valve in the basement.

I don’t turn the water off because I don’t feel the need to. Also, my kids and and grandkids stop by from time to time and I don’t want them to have to worry about it.

The stove 240 volt power connection in the house we bought, started arcing in the night, and could have started a fire and burned our house down if I hadn’t caught it in time. In spite of that, I don’t turn the power off when we leave either. Same thing, my risk vs fear level is different than many others.

As I said, I would never call out someone for being a lot more risk averse than I am. I do get frustrated by people that imply that others are stupid/lazy/crazy/deserve water damage, etc. when they don’t make the same choice that they do. As if their way is the only way! I get it when my kids and grandkids sometimes complain about Boomers.

We all make choices and roll the dice, that’s life.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #117

so if i need to take a leak, i have to pull off somewhere???same for other passengers, `i1m serious,new to RV `s.Just bought a 35 ft.2005 G.B. Landau and plan on making non stop trip to Ms. 570 miles.and same return. Had no plans on making a stop.
Jax.Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #118

Why not just turn the water pump on to either use to bathroom or sink when stopped and just turn the pump off before you hit the highway. And for that matter just turn the pump when traveling when you are need to have it on and then shut it off when you no longer need it on.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax.Treeman View Post
so if i need to take a leak, i have to pull off somewhere???same for other passengers, `i1m serious,new to RV `s.Just bought a 35 ft.2005 G.B. Landau and plan on making non stop trip to Ms. 570 miles.and same return. Had no plans on making a stop.

Well if you’re driving you will probably have to pull over to take a leak lol. Turn the pump on, then back off. Easy peasy. Your passengers can turn the pump on when needed going down the road.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #120

Install a accumulator tank. Then you can get 3 or 4 flushed without the pump on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #121

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by botiemad View Post
Quote:
If you think about it if you are going to have a plumping leak it would be more likely when driving.
If you think a little bit more, think about what happens when you turn the pump on, use water, then turn it off. Do the lines automatically depressurize? No. If you've got a weak spot, it will leak anytime the lines are under pressure.

Unless you have an accumulator pressure tank, the residual pressure in the lines might leak a pint of water, probably less. With the water pump on, a leak will empty your fresh water holding tank before running dry or overheating.

For our motorhomes, we would turn the water pump on only when needed, driving or stationary. With the trailer, we still, as a general rule, only turn on the water heater when we need it and always turn it off before travel. It takes 1 second to turn it on and 1 second to turn it off, conveniently located just outside the bathroom door.

How many turn off the water supply when leaving the RV at a campsite? Probably greater risk there... Unlimited pressurized water source. I admit I don't always turn it off, but usually do if I'm going to be away for any length of time.

At home we had a supply line on a faucet break once. We were home and all was fine when we went to bed. About 5:30 or 6 in the morning my wife wakes me up and says there's a strange noise coming from the bedroom on the other side of the house. I get up and about half way across the house I heard it. I'm not sure how long it had been running full force but it wound up being a VERY expensive clean up. Fortunately insurance covered most of the expense, but it was still a several month long hassle that forced us to move out of the house for almost a month.

There's probably greater danger of flushing all of your fresh water on the ground or into your holding tank than a pipe busting or otherwise emptying into the floor or storage compartments. But the risk of damage isn't any where near zero. I guess for me, I don't see the reward for leaving it on. I don't have an ice maker, but even if I did, do you go through that much ice that you can't make it before and after travel? For using the facilities, it's not like you have to pull over and go outside for your passengers to turn on the water pump.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #122

We always turn our pump off while traveling and as time goes on, I'm getting to just use the onboard water more and more using the pump vs city water hookup.

We've had two instances. One was many years ago when I tried the quick connectors on my water hose connection in the wet bay. When first installed, all worked well. Then when off site-seeing one day, we came back to water pouring out of the wet bay. One of the quick-connectors had failed. Fortunately, it was all confined to the wet bay, so no damage, but a lesson learned to turn off the citywater when gone.

The second instance, a few years ago, was actually while we were in the coach relaxing (hooked up to city water). I went outside to get something and water was dripping out of one of the storage compartments under the refrigerator area. The water line feeding the toilet ran under the frig and had sprung a pinhole leak. It was squirting through an opening directly into that bay and then leaking out. Because I was on city water, there was no indication of a leak, like a pump cycling when no one was using water. I was lucky again as we just had a wet bay that I was able to dry out in an afternoon and no damage done. But I hate to tempt fate three times!

I've gotten where I like the idea of just using my pump, turning it off during travel when I cannot hear it cycle and turning it off when out and about. When I'm around the coach, I can hear any abnormal cycling that would indicate a leak is happening somewhere and hopefully catch it before it's serious.

Just my two cents that it's not really fair to compare RV and home water systems. Your house is likely not going down the road bouncing all over on many of our nation's lovely roads of disrepair. Yes the pex systems may be the same, but there's a lot of difference between stationary and mobile systems! The pressure test is just that....a test on a new system that hasn't bounced and shook all over. Frankly, I give RV's a lot of credit for holding together as well as they do considering the conditions they are subjected to.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #123

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a two gallon pressure tank and if full it will frequently take care all water needs while driving for the day. If not, I just turn on the pump and in less than 30 seconds the tank is full again. I upgraded my pumps. That way if there is a plumbing mishap the most that will spill is 2 gallons. On one trip when we stopped for the night I turned on the pump and touched the kitchen facet just to have the facet break off in my hand and a fountain rising three feet into the air.

I upgraded all facets to residential style opposed to cheap plastic that are typically OEM. Also added quarter turn cur-off valves under the sinks so I can isolate a faulty facet.

Plenty of stories about pumps dumping full fresh water tank loads into a holding tank and backing up in the RV or just flooding the rig. In a MH you have a better chance of caching the problem but in a trailer you'll not likely to learn about it until a stop or another driver honks at you.

So for me it elementary: turn off the pump and water heater while driving. Also turn off the pump at night. May leave the WH on to make a faster getaway in the morning.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #124

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax.Treeman View Post
No, just turn on the pump, use the toilet, flush, turn off the pump and let the pressure off by turning on the kitchen sink for a few seconds.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2rv View Post
How many turn off the water supply when leaving the RV at a campsite? Probably greater risk there... Unlimited pressurized water source. I admit I don't always turn it off, but usually do if I'm going to be away for any length of time.
There's a brass inline pressure reducer that should always be installed ahead of the RV inlet. Cuts the line pressure down to 40-50 PSI, which is what the pump operates at.
d.mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #126

Off
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, water, water pump