RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #1

Traveling with 2 dogs

Hi All,

we will be traveling in our 2019 Mountain Aire 4551. We will attempt to bring our 2 Labrador Retrievers with us on extended trips and was wondering if anyone had experience with traveling with 2 larger dogs such as these? If so, where do they generally stay when underway and also when stopped overnight.

Any information would be helpful and I hope we are not kidding ourselves.

Thanks in advance

almostready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My wife trains, shows, and breeds dogs. In the past we have traveled with 2 large dogs and ~6 small dogs. (this varies depending on show events).

Both large and small dogs are crate trained in that they are use to eating, sleeping and relaxing in the crates.

I removed a wall base cabinet which gave us enough room to put 2 large crates on the floor and the stack smaller crates on top. All are secured and will not move or shift around.

All dogs are in crates while we are driving unless my wife has one out on her lap grooming/brushing them out. We usually run the generator so we can run the AC if it's hot. She also has a number of the small Ryobi battery powered fans that we can mount on the front of the crates to circulate air.

Sometimes my wife's sister will follow us to an event and she will have dogs, sometimes they will stay in the back of her suburban, sometimes more crates under the dining room table. It can get tight but we survive.

We also travel with a number of X-pens so all dogs can be kept in them when they are outside. We will walk them on a leash but do not let them just wonder around.

So yes, you can travel with large dogs but for their safety and yours I'd recommend keeping them in crates while underway and on leashes.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #3

My pets always trqveled i side the truck with me. Last truck was a quad cab Didge Ram, so I simply dropped the seat flat and put his bed in there. Two dogs? Same thing.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #4

Our smaller dogs are in dog beds on the sofa. Ours wear harnesses and are in seat belts while coach is traveling. They never move anyway they enjoy sleeping all day. If parked dog beds go under the dinette or bedroom floor.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The best thing you can do for a dog is crate train it. Dogs actually like crates because they feel secure inside. Since you're new to traveling with them, you'll have to figure out how often they'll need to stop. You should also carry their licenses and vaccination records with you.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #6

Keep in mind that if you're planning national park trips most are not dog-friendly. You won't be able to go on the trails with them among other restrictions. Check before you go.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My shepherds are my co pilots!
Sleep on the bed.
Kennel train is a very good idea.
We stopped once at the carlsbad caverns, they put or dogs up in kennels while we walk it.
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Almostready:
We only travel with one dog. He is an 85lb Golden Retriever. When I pull the coach up to the front of the house, he will lay on the sidewalk in front of the door until I let him in when we leave. There is not a lot of room with the slides in, but once my wife, the dog, and I are in, he will settle on a small dog between the pilot and copilot seats. Once my wife closes the step cover, there would be room for two dogs. Ours will jump on the couch and settle sometimes, but he is usually wants to peak over the dash out the front window. Its a little tight, but worth the sacrifice. Would I prefer to have him belted in as someone previously mentioned? Well, yes, but that is not an option for us, so we make do.
Once I park and put the slides out, there is plenty of room for two full size dog beds. Ours spends his time between his bed at the foot of our KS bed, on our KS bed, and on the tile floor. He especially loves the heated tile floors when its cold. Just remember, no rubber coated anything (dog bed, rug, etc.) on the heated floor. When its hot, he likes the coolness of the tile floor.
I couldn't imagine going anywhere without him. Golden's and labs are certainly "take-a-long" dogs and deserve to be with us.
Best of luck.
Cheers,
Mike
MikeyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #9

We travel with three dogs, all around the 50-58 lb area. They sit and sleep wherever they want. When we stop we walk them, usually at rest areas but have walked them many times a fuel stops.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #10

One of the main reasons we have a "camper" is our dogs. I own 3 labrador retrievers that I compete with in AKC field trials. We generally keep them in wire crates from Tractor Supply and they are not the huge crates near the dinette with little difficulty. When the slides are in they are secure so if something happens they are the safest they can be.

Remember dogs are den animals by nature and having a place they can call their own is calming to them. If you start it early it's easy to do.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We travel without dogs or cats and love it! Free to stop when we want and do what we want!
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #12

We travel with our 2 standard poodles. One sleeps on the floor between the driver & passenger seats, the other sleeps on the sofa. We stop every few hours when traveling to walk them and stretch our legs. When we have to leave them in the coach alone, they stay in crates with the AC on if necessary. However, that's only for short periods of time like eating at a restaurant. We take them with us everywhere else. If we go somewhere like a national park where they can't be on the trails we take turns staying at the car. It's worked for us so far.
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We often travel with our grand dog - a Border Collie.

He loves to travel. While under way, he finds comfort under the dining table of the EuroBooth or in the cavity under the foot of the bed (formed when slides are in). When we're parked and inside he usually parks on one of the sofas.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #14

We have 2 Labradoodles. They have vest harnesses. We clip them to the seatbelt on the coach. We put a dog bed between the seats. One or both will lay in the bed. The other will sit on my wife’s lap. Stop every two to three hours for a stretch and a dog walk.

PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog, dogs, travel