Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

Traveling Without the Generator

2014 DS

Should my converter be on at the Magnum panel or off while traveling without the generator on?
It was my understanding that the batteries would charge from the alternator. My inverter will be on for the refrigerator.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #2

Just leave it all on.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your alternator is charging your batteries controlled by your BIRD or B.I.M. SYSTEM.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I leave my inverter on whenever the frig is on and we're driving. When parked and hooked up to power I turn the inverter off.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I leave my inverter on whenever the frig is on and we're driving. When parked and hooked up to power I turn the inverter off.
How does that work? If hooked to shore power will the inverter pass voltage when off, or does it require you to move the refer plug each time?? Just curious.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ron,

Most of the outlets (at least on the all electric models) run off a bus powered by the Magnum Inverter/Converter. When connected to an AC power source, ie...shore cable or generator, there is a pass thru feature. Otherwise it is powering those circuits off the house batteries. You do not have to switch outlets for your fridge.

Those batteries will get power from the alternator, when certain conditions are met. Depending on how many batteries you have...they can probably run your fridge and tvs for days. The outlets NOT powered by the inverter are higher amp draw...Washer/Dryer, induction Cooktop, .... other loads not powered by the inverter include the electric element in the oasis/Hot Water heater, Air Conditioners, to name a few. Interestingly enough...the Microwave uses the Inverter bus...so,,, you can really do a lot with just batteries. That is, until you drain them to the "cutoff" voltage programmed into the Magnum remote control panel.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When using the coach, there is no need to shut off the inverter, even when plugged into shore power. There is no advantage to doing so. When connected to shore power, the shore power "passes" through the inverter. Actually, you're better off to leave the inverter on when connected....why.....if there is a shore power failure, your coach will seamlessly switch to inverter power until the shore power is restored. This could be important if you're gone for the day and lose power. The inverter will keep your refer running.

I've owned my coach for almost three years. The inverter has never been turned off (I'm plugged in at home.)
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

Thank you Charlie & Don. This is good info to have as I sometime finding myself trying to help someone with a problem.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Don. Good point on leaving the inverter "on" when you're gone. Just in case. I try to minimize what I have "on" as we usually pay for electricity usage at some stupid high rate. If the inverter is not functioning when the AC is hooked up, why have it on? Assuming you close enough to the coach in case something happens. Just asking.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"JohnT".....Even though it's not functioning when connected to shore power, it's also not using any additional power (increasing your power bill) so why turn it off. It then becomes something you have to remember to do when driving the coach and stopping for lunch or short excursions......did I turn the inverter on ????......is the refer running???? It just makes life easier.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Good points Don.
The big difference is that our coach sits offsite with no power. So I turn everything off. When I go out to visit the coach, I'll run the generator and the charger. No particular reason to run the inverter at that time. On some days I'm required to exercise the Oasis too.

I have the inverter off/on listed on my checklist that I go over every time we pull out.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The few times I have parked my coach for extended periods without hookups I do as John. Otherwise I leave it all on all the time.

During winter driving I don't run the generator, and allow the bird to keep the battery charged for the inverter usage. During summer driving the generator is running and the inverter stays on.

When hooked to 30 amp, the inverter stays on as it adds more power to the line for short bursts of microwave usage without turning off the AC.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
When hooked to 30 amp, the inverter stays on as it adds more power to the line for short bursts of microwave usage without turning off the AC.
That would be a neat trick if it were possible. But with 120v coming from the 30A supply the inverter's internal bypass switch would prevent the inverter from producing anything.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
That would be a neat trick if it were possible. But with 120v coming from the 30A supply the inverter's internal bypass switch would prevent the inverter from producing anything.
No trick needed. It uses the battery to add extra amps. Part of the feature you get with the power management system.

The feature is called "inverter assist-mode", and was a standard feature with the PCS power management system on my coach. I do have the upgraded firmware, but that was to resolve the compatibility with the BMK and AGS modules. Inverter assist worked with the factory release.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, travel