Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #1

Treating A Solid Material Roof

We utilized an RV detail service this month to have our coach wash/waxed. One of the extra services he offered was treating my roof, which I declined. I asked him how he did it and what he used. He said he used a UV protection product.

I asked him if I applied 303 to my roof if that would work. He said it should work as good as what they use and should be done at least once a year when the roof is clean.

A day or so after they finished with my coach I coated my roof with 303. Last weekend we had two days of rain. For the first time since purchasing our coach new I have less streaks running down the sides after rainy conditions.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #2

303 needs to be applied monthly! You are better off using NuFinish which does last a year.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:59 AM   #3

I asked him if they ever applied wax to a coach's roof. He said they don't plus if they are called to detail one they like to know in advance if the owner has applied it.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
AWM

What exactly is the roof material made of? I assume they didn’t want wax as it would be to slippery. I have a new 2018 DS and am not sure what to apply.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If I remember correctly The roofs on the gassers is a rolled rubberlike material, I can't remember the material right now. Old guy ya know!

The Ventana has the option for the rolled material or fiberglass. DSDP and up is fiberglass.

John
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
If I remember correctly The roofs on the gassers is a rolled rubberlike material, I can't remember the material right now. Old guy ya know!

The Ventana has the option for the rolled material or fiberglass. DSDP and up is fiberglass.

John
2018 Ventana is a smooth finish fiberglass.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #7

I put Optimum spray wax on my fiberglass roof 2x a year. Easy applicati0on -- it's UV resistant for about 6 months. It's worked well for 6 yrs now.........https://www.autogeek.net/opcarwa1ga.html
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #8

On my automotive painted fiberglass roof, I use wax (easier to clean sap/bird droppings/etc. On the plastic parts (vent covers, skylights, sat. dome, etc) I use 303.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:24 AM   #9

I didn't know a Ventana could come with a rubber roof. Mine is one piece fiberglass.

The conversation with the detail guy about waxing the roof for him had to do with safety. He wanted to know in advance before him or his helper got up there with the power washer. As far as paying them to wax it he said they would never do that due to the liability involved. He waxes it and then an a/c repairmen gets up there on a damp morning and falls off, guess what insurance company gets included in the suit?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #10

The standard roof on a Ventana is Brite Tek which is a Dicor product. They have their own brand of protectant available from a variety of sources including Amazon. The Dicor website has information on maintaining the Brite Tek roof.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I didn't know a Ventana could come with a rubber roof. Mine is one piece fiberglass.

The conversation with the detail guy about waxing the roof for him had to do with safety. He wanted to know in advance before him or his helper got up there with the power washer. As far as paying them to wax it he said they would never do that due to the liability involved. He waxes it and then an a/c repairmen gets up there on a damp morning and falls off, guess what insurance company gets included in the suit?
Yup, nowadays every business owner needs to worry about liability.

Interestingly, a few years ago was in a repair facility, saw the guys lay moving blankets on the top of a motorhome before they went up to work on the roof.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof