RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #1

Trouble shooting Cigarette Lighter Outlet???

Have a 16 4369 DS. On the road for a month and the Adapter you plug into on the front dash has stopped working. Use it for my Garmin GPS and the Brake controller for Patriot Remote .
Was working until recently. Today was a rainy stay in day and took the front dash drawer and casing out to get to the under side of it.

Volt Meter says its getting juice but isn't working on either device. Tried several times. A good friend who has a DS like mine says it could be the Garmin Cord. But....both of these devices work perfectly when plugged into Jeep adapter. Odd thing is when plugging in the GPS cord end, there is a light red light that comes on but that's the extent of any activity. Any ideas?????

BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #2

We had this happen with our Garmin in another MH. Would put in car and it worked but not in RV. After trying in RV with no luck tried in car again. No luck. Replaced fuse in cord. It worked

fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Similar problem with my 07 KS, but with a twist.

When plugging one of two items, both sockets work when used separately. Oddly... when both sockets are used at the same time, neither items gets power.

I have this on the to do list at my RV repair shop.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #4

I could be way out in left field here but; JMHO : worth a mention .
When I had a similar issue , the fuse for the lighter was bad .
When I tested with a volt meter , I got a reading, 12+ volts ; BUT ; the reading was a cross feed from the roof solar panel the amps were so low there wasn't enough to power anything plugged into the lighter.
Remember only takes mili-amps of power for a meter reading ( led light), for proper operation you need good connections and AMPS.
Try the socket with a test light, with a regular bulb; not an led ; I'll bet you only get a glow.
Then there could also be a poor ground to the socket too.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
JnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
When I tested with a volt meter , I got a reading, 12+ volts ; BUT ; the reading was a cross feed from the roof solar panel the amps were so low there wasn't enough to power anything plugged into the lighter.
Remember only takes mili-amps of power for a meter reading ( led light), for proper operation you need good connections and AMPS.
Try the socket with a test light, with a regular bulb; not an led ; I'll bet you only get a glow.

Good info. Mines out too, where is the fuse hidden?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
Good info. Mines out too, where is the fuse hidden?
Same Question..... I looked outside in the driver side bay didn't see anything that was marked specifically other then one possibility that said "accessory" .

Thanks
Old 06-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #7
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 2017... The fuse is located in the front outside electrical compartment driver's side. There is a red LED that lights under the fuse when the fuse is blown. In bright sunlight you may not see that the LED is lit. Perhaps the voltage through the LED is allowing enough voltage to bypass the fuse and read on your volt meter. I am guessing you are using a digital volt meter. An old analog meter would probably read 0.

I was having trouble with the fuse blowing when I plugged my GPS in. It turned out to be the positive metal tab in the back of the outlet would occasionally touch the side ground of the outlet. I moved the center tab slightly with a wooden barbecue skewer and haven't had a problem since.

Paul
2017 Dutch Star 4018
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #8

It is providence that this thread was started as I am having the same problem on my '15 Bay Star. My guess was fuse but I haven't had time to take a look.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I had that problem. 4 volts at the cigar lighter. The fuse in the bay drivers side outside was bad. As someone else said, the red led lets some voltage (4 volts ) through. Enough to light an indicator on the power cord plugged in, not enough to charge or run anything. I bought a new Garmin cord too! Took me two months to solve that pesky issue.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:25 AM   #10

All good ideas..... I went to the fuse bay (drivers side) hoping that I would see a blown fuse, but nothing.....
So I am still stumped as to where the problem may be.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

Yes, this was exact problem on my 2000 DP, lighter fuse blown
Old 06-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogSolo View Post
All good ideas..... I went to the fuse bay (drivers side) hoping that I would see a blown fuse, but nothing.....
So I am still stumped as to where the problem may be.
Because of the LED in parallel with the fuse, you will read voltage in the outlet when the fuse is blown. The voltage you will read with the meter depends on the impedance of your voltmeter. I am using a Fluke digital meter. I measured the voltage in my outlet and it was 12.6 volts. I pulled the fuse out and I read 11.1 volts in the outlet.

The fuse on my Dutch Star is labeled on the circuit board in small letters "12 V aux outlet 20 A". My suggestion is to test or change this fuse. Next I would check that the outlet has the same voltage as coach voltage. If all that checks out it is likely a bad connection because of corrosion, pitting, contamination or other damage to the outlet.

My GPS always worked well in the coach, in the car I had to twist the plug in the outlet until it came on.
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Trouble shooting Cigarette Lighter Outlet???

How are you getting power from a "cigarette lighter outlet" to 2 devices, the last I saw a "cigarette lighter" only can accept 1 device at a time? If you have "juice" to the rear of the cigarette lighter outlet but not to the devices, have you plugged each one in by itself, do they work? If so your splitter or cigarette lighter outlet is bad, if not the cigarette lighter outlet is bad.

You show you have a 16, why not let a dealer figure it out under warranty?
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
How are you getting power from a "cigarette lighter outlet" to 2 devices, the last I saw a "cigarette lighter" only can accept 1 device at a time? If you have "juice" to the rear of the cigarette lighter outlet but not to the devices, have you plugged each one in by itself, do they work? If so your splitter or cigarette lighter outlet is bad, if not the cigarette lighter outlet is bad.

You show you have a 16, why not let a dealer figure it out under warranty?
Dave, you misunderstood on the two devices. I tried another device (separately) after the GPS to see if I got the same result...ie not working and I did. It just verified that the receptacle was not working and the issue wasn't on the GPS device side/cord.
As for warranty, Yes its a 16, but my warranty , 12 mos is out. But more to the point, I thought it was something I could fix with a little guideance. And its just not that simple to take it to a dealer. Many are incompetent and your coach sits for time on end. Not to mention, I have been on the road for the past month and really needed to use the receptacle if I could. Have you tried to just drive into a dealership for a quick repair.....doesn't happen in my experience.

Tags
light