RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trying to understand my solar charger

I have a solar panel on the roof of my 2000 Newmar for charging the batteries. How can I test if it's working or not? I installed a digital meter in the dash and that tells me the voltage it's putting out, which is 12-14. After that where do the wires go? Do they go directly to the house batteries? Is it charging both the chassis and house batteries?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
5-10 watt panel that goes through dash panel indicator to chassis battery. Not meant to charge chassis battery more of a battery maintainer.

Here is the PDF extract dated 2007 from Newmar. Suspect nothing has changed since your year.

Good Luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Newmar Small Solar Panel Info.pdf (100.6 KB, 164 views)

shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Right now my coach is sitting out in full sun. When I press the battery meter, it says about 3/4. When I press the voltage reader switch, it says 12V. The solar panel light is totally dark.

The switch pushes up and down with a reading each way. Is one way reading the house batteries and the other way reading the chassis batteries?

If the intention of the solar panel is to not charge but simply maintain 12V, is it as simply as changing the solar panel to make it charge? What else needs to be done? And can it charge both the house and chassis batteries?
Old 04-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Solar panels designed to charge 12 Volt batteries have an open circuit output voltage of about 17 volts but when tied across batteries this drops to the battery voltage. The sure way to tell if it's working would be to use your meter in DC current mode and insert the meter in the positive wire coming from the solar panel and see if there is current flow. Note solar panel output falls with age and it perhaps 80% of when new and maybe worse than that if the panel covering was plastic and has gotten cloudy with age.

For every 10 watts of solar panel size going straight to batteries without any charge controller you should see about 0.5 amps current flow (solar panels put out less than their maximum watts rating unless you use a fancy MPPT charge controller).

Note that your always on loads ( propane detector, non-residential refrigerator, etc. ) are going to pull at least 1 amp so hopefully it is at least a 20 watt panel, 10 watts likely won't cut it if the goal is to keep the battery fully charged during storage in a spot where the panel gets sunlight. Actually 20 Watts might not even cut it for keeping batteries charged given that the always on loads are 24 hours a day and it gets dark, LOL.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Pexring,
Lets try to keep this simple. The post by shaman52 has the information you need. To answer some of the questions from the latest post:
1. When you press the battery meter on the factory installed panel you are looking at the coach batteries. Does not matter which way you press the meter.
2. The solar panel maintains the chassis batteries. There is no reading for the chassis batteries from the factory installed battery meter.
3. To make a solar charger for all your batteries, you will need much more solar power. There are kits available to make this happen.

Do not know about your digital meter. Don't know what wires you connected it to.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I am sure appreciating the feedback. My 16-year-old solar panel seems to have died. What is the replacement?

Since my coach sits outside 365 days a year, I might as well make the sun work for me. I am considering buying this solar-powered batterminder for the coach/house batteries. Will it play nice with the coach's built-in charger?

12 Volt 15 Watt Solar Charger Maintainer with Panel | SCC-015
Old 04-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
I am sure appreciating the feedback. My 16-year-old solar panel seems to have died. What is the replacement?

Since my coach sits outside 365 days a year, I might as well make the sun work for me. I am considering buying this solar-powered batterminder for the coach/house batteries. Will it play nice with the coach's built-in charger?

12 Volt 15 Watt Solar Charger Maintainer with Panel | SCC-015

As others have said, 15 watts is not enough to overcome the constant drains on the batteries from smoke alarms, engine computer, etc.

I would consider a minimum of 25 watts, and 50 would be better.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
5-10 watt panel that goes through dash panel indicator to chassis battery. Not meant to charge chassis battery more of a battery maintainer.

Here is the PDF extract dated 2007 from Newmar. Suspect nothing has changed since your year.

Good Luck!
In reading this PDF, it says that the light on the dash will stop glowing when the battery is charged. Does that mean there is some sort of charge controller built into the circuit? Mine is a 2000 although the pdf file was taken from a 2007.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
There is no solar controller. When sufficient current flows thru the LED, it lights up. As the current decreases, the LED dimms and eventually turns off.
A word of caution, on some coaches built before 2016 Newmar wired the solar charger on the coach side of the chassis battery switch, so when the battery is disconnected it will not get charged. The LED may stay lit due to parasitic loads.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Discovered my 5 watt panel is dead dead dead. So I am replacing it with a 6 watt panel. During the winter my coach sits outside and doesn't move for months. Is there ever a danger the panel would overcharge the chassis batteries during this time? Does anyone ever add a controller to this panel?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
with a small panel like anything below 25W there is no need for a charge controller. it can not overcharge your battery.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Something I noticed on my 2002 MADP small solar panel.
Light on dash did not work.
Disconnect fuse going to panel and my panel was reading 15-17 volts. Checking it at the fuse panel. Fuse back in and pulls the voltage back down to what ever level the batteries are at.
So even though light was not working, panels still putting out a small amount.
But like others have said only really maintains not enough watts to actually charge the batteries.
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Got the 5-watt panel replaced. No solar charger added. Where in my fuse box (or at the chassis batteries?) should I be able to test that power is trickling in from the solar panel? My red light shines bright, along with the digital meter I added per a nice tip I found last year on this forum. Below are a few pics of my handywork. I replaced the 5-watt panel with a Coleman 6 Watt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5-watt-2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	125210
Old 5-watt panel that is dead.

Name:	5-watt-3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	125211
Underneath old panel. Was a 2-pin molex plug that I removed and added one to match the new solar panel.

Name:	5-watt-5.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	125212
Added 2 aluminum bars with appropriately drilled holes to mount the new panel.

Name:	5-watt-6.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	125213
New panel mounted in place. Not too thrilled with the cheesy plastic mounting brackets, but it is what it is.

Name:	5-watt-7.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	125214
The red light on my dash and the green digital meter above it that shows the watts (although the reading doesn't show up in the pic).

Tags
solar