Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

Turn off patio awning auto-retract?

I recently bought a patio awning shade. The instructions suggest that the auto-retract function be turned off when the awning shade is attached to the awning so as to avoid damage if a breeze causes a roll-up.

That's a good idea.

But, in spite of my searching, I have not found anything that looks like an on/off switch related to the awning. There are only the rocker switches over the entry door used to roll the door and patio awning out/in. Can anyone direct me to a switch? A fused circuit where I could pull a fuse or install a switch?

I may not know exactly where I am, but I'm not sure how fast I am going.
JohnParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #2

Look in basement behind last door in front of wheels on passenger side for awning control unit.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #3

In many cases due to the auto retract function, the only solution, to keep the awning open , is to pull the fuse.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine has a control box with a toggle switch in one of the basements under the awning.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Look for the awning control box, in the basement, passenger side, near rear
wheels. Look for the Awning Motor plug and pull it off.
This will positively disable the awning from retracting.
If you have a remote for your awning, there is a way to disable the wind sensor.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #6

Thanks all;

I had seen the control box in the basement compartment. The only thing I had noticed was an in/out rocker switch. Thanks to the guidance, I found, in a tight fit to the compartment side and hidden in shadow, a little toggle switch labelled 'wind sensor enable'/'disable'. Just what I was looking for.

I may not know exactly where I am, but I'm not sure how fast I am going.
JohnParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #7

This system IMHO is stupid! Disable an auto sensor for the wind? You had better!
A friend of mine bought a new 5th. wheel camper with this system. The power out worked great and was neat to watch. About the third day he had the camper he was at work and a sneaky wind storm came up. The awning started to retract, the wind caught it and tore the awning to pieces. The neighbor saw this happen. Nothing he could do.
I prefer the tried and true manual awning with a storm strap attached. My awning has been exposed to some strong winds and still looks like new.
Sometimes doing it yourself is better. If you go away drop a corner down to let rain run off and tighten the strap. At least the awning will be intact when you get back.
Lynn
Old 05-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If leaving the RV retract the awning. Do not trust the auto retract, do not trust tie in it down. I seen both type awnings destroyed by a sudden gust of wind. In the Southwest maybe even a dust devil. Saw one with several tie downs owned by a camp host that left his tied down all the time and for several seasond. Wind came up ripped anchors out of ground, wrapped the awning over the roof, broke the arms right off the motor home..
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin4it View Post
If leaving the RV retract the awning. Do not trust the auto retract, do not trust tie in it down. I seen both type awnings destroyed by a sudden gust of wind. In the Southwest maybe even a dust devil. Saw one with several tie downs owned by a camp host that left his tied down all the time and for several seasond. Wind came up ripped anchors out of ground, wrapped the awning over the roof, broke the arms right off the motor home..
I don't trust the cheap tie downs which come with a strap. I use Hurricane tie downs and screw them well into the ground. If I can't get them in to my satisfaction I will retract the awning when I leave the area. I have seen some wrecked awnings and it isn't pretty.
Lynn
Old 05-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #10

We are in Moab,Ut.just had my owing arm break because of a sudden gust of wind.
with help we were able to get it retracted,now looking for repair facility.
any ideas???

need input.2014 mountain air.

thanx,
ray
Ray Stooksbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
If you have a remote for your awning, there is a way to disable the wind sensor.
Siggy
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!

Today DH wanted to adjust our wind sensor setting and was having trouble. He couldn't find the on/off switch. Read your post and remembered we had a remote for the awning. He used it to perform the adjustment and is a very happy camper.

This is just one more example of why I LOVE IRV2!

Tags
awning