Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #1

Turning Radius

We are very close to getting a Newmar motorhome. Either a 4018 or a 4369. Before we write the check I need to know if either of these motorhomes will make the turn and clear a four by four steel roof support. Storage is at a premium where we live and a waiting list that is years long is disheartening for many. We sold our fifth wheel and still rent our 11 foot wide 47 foot long covered spot. Here is what I need to know. Our spot is at an angle off the asphalt drive so if i attempt to drive in nose first, the steel post on the passenger side is a challenge. On the other side is a three quarter ton van parked at the same angle so the distance between post and the van is about eleven feet. The asphalt drive out front measure thirty feet from the post to other RV's parked on the opposite side.Once I am by the van the side measurement open way up. I tried to post pictures and a drawing but once I loaded the file it said they were invalid. If anyone has either a 4018 0r 4369 and very near NE Portland Oregon, I will pay you see if it will fit. I don't want anyone going out of their way. If not, is there a formula that I can use to see what the the distance is between the front and rear tire in a full turn (the overlap). If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful for any help in this matter. kind regards
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #2

Was your fifth wheel parked in that spot? If so how long of fifth wheel. I’d say if you could get a 36-38 foot fifth wheel in there you’ll get a 4018 or 4369 in there.
You didn’t say if you are looking at a Dutchstar or Ventana but I believe the wheel cut is better in the Dutchstar but I believe either would fit if the trailer got in there.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever looked at the spot on Google Earth or maps?

Perhaps with an address we could look at the spot and give some guesses.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnson913 View Post
Was your fifth wheel parked in that spot? If so how long of fifth wheel. I’d say if you could get a 36-38 foot fifth wheel in there you’ll get a 4018 or 4369 in there.
You didn’t say if you are looking at a Dutchstar or Ventana but I believe the wheel cut is better in the Dutchstar but I believe either would fit if the trailer got in there.
Thanks Bill. It is a Dutch Star and hoping for a 2016 or newer that has the tag axle with the the active steering. The fifth wheel was a 38 and a half foot DRV and I pulled it with a Chevy Crew Cab Dually and it was a nightmare that sometimes took me forty five minutes to get into the spot. It was that I couldn't get it jackknifed quick enough and the front of the truck getting very close to the rev's across the way. Until it started to straighten out I had only two inches or so on each side and I would have to move twelves inches and jump out a check. I just need to know for sure if it will go as I have no where at home to legally park it. Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you ever looked at the spot on Google Earth or maps?

Perhaps with an address we could look at the spot and give some guesses.
The address in 23500 NE Marine Drive Troutdale Oregon is the address. It is the long covered building about half way down and access is from the bottom of the picture on google earth. You can see the RV's across the way that I have to deal with.I never would have thought to do this. I hope it is of some help. Thanks for your time, David
Old 01-21-2021, 07:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
How about backing in? Usually you can get into a very tight spot better by backing in.

Just have a spotter back there with a walky talky keeping an eye on things.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy67 View Post
Thanks Bill. It is a Dutch Star and hoping for a 2016 or newer that has the tag axle with the the active steering. The fifth wheel was a 38 and a half foot DRV and I pulled it with a Chevy Crew Cab Dually and it was a nightmare that sometimes took me forty five minutes to get into the spot. It was that I couldn't get it jackknifed quick enough and the front of the truck getting very close to the rev's across the way. Until it started to straighten out I had only two inches or so on each side and I would have to move twelves inches and jump out a check. I just need to know for sure if it will go as I have no where at home to legally park it. Thanks again.
If your DRV fit no problem with either Dutchstar. We kept our fifth wheel in a tight spot with a 90 degree back in. Took more than a few minutes and that was doing it a bunch.
Our class A diesel pusher with IFS and 60 degree wheel cut was a dream to put in the same spot.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...4d-122.4222887

That's a link to the Google map...

Looks like it would be easy IF those stored RV's and boats weren't there.

Are there any motorhomes stored in that building that are about the same size as you are looking at?

Assume for a minute that George's boat is in the way of you being successful in parking your rig....Could you rent that space where the boat is and keep it empty so you would be able to get in and out?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On the 40' coach, the wheelbase is 242" from front wheel center to dual wheel center, so 20'.

If you were to pull parallel to the spot, so the dual wheel was aligned with one edge of the opening, about a foot out, you would have about 5' - 6' in front of the coach if you were to crank the wheel hard and back in. The rear end would almost pivot in the spot where you stopped the duals. The overhang is about 8', which would clear your 11' opening. The 43' would be a little tighter up front, with about 1' - 2' to spare.

These coaches will pivot hard when backing up. Driving in forward would probably not work.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:23 PM   #10

If you're dealing with Guaranty just make a long test drive.
capnqball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Skippy:
As others have said, if the 5er fit, the Dutch Star should.
If for some reason it doesn't or you're not comfortable with parking in the current spot, maybe you could simply switch spots with someone else already in the storage lot that has easier access?
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy67 View Post
We are very close to getting a Newmar motorhome. Either a 4018 or a 4369. Before we write the check I need to know if either of these motorhomes will make the turn and clear a four by four steel roof support. Storage is at a premium where we live and a waiting list that is years long is disheartening for many. We sold our fifth wheel and still rent our 11 foot wide 47 foot long covered spot. Here is what I need to know. Our spot is at an angle off the asphalt drive so if i attempt to drive in nose first, the steel post on the passenger side is a challenge. On the other side is a three quarter ton van parked at the same angle so the distance between post and the van is about eleven feet. The asphalt drive out front measure thirty feet from the post to other RV's parked on the opposite side.Once I am by the van the side measurement open way up. I tried to post pictures and a drawing but once I loaded the file it said they were invalid. If anyone has either a 4018 0r 4369 and very near NE Portland Oregon, I will pay you see if it will fit. I don't want anyone going out of their way. If not, is there a formula that I can use to see what the the distance is between the front and rear tire in a full turn (the overlap). If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful for any help in this matter. kind regards
In all likelihood the turning radius is similar for both coaches. What you need to know is the steering cut (turning angle) and the effective wheelbase.

If the cut is the same on both coaches and the wheelbase is very close there will be very little difference in radius.

I have found it's easier to back into a tight spot than it is to drive in.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:21 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Tell the seller that you will buy it only if it fits, and they have to allow a test drive to the storage location to see if it fits.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
https://mathalino.com/reviewer/surve...ircular-curves

Link to determining the radius of turning.

Use degree of curve for calculating an approximate radius of turning. For more accurate use the railroad method. Chord = wheelbase.

Station = the wheelbase of the coach. For a tag axle coach use the wheelbase with the tag dumped. Degree is the steering cut of the coach.